It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Birmingham developer offers plan to buy Belle Isle for $1 billion, secede from Michigan"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Prominent Republicans in Michigan will gather soon to hear a plan for investors to buy Belle Isle from the city of Detroit for $1 billion and turn the island park into a semi-independent city-state of 35,000 people with its own laws, government and currency.

Never mind that the proposed libertarian experiment, supported by prominent free-enterprise supporters like the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, retired Chrysler President Al Sperlich and Clark Durant, co-founder of Detroit’s Cornerstone Schools, likely will go nowhere.

The sale of Belle Isle requires the approval of Mayor Dave Bing and Detroit City Council and neither would give the proposal a serious look. It’s also very unlikely the island could secede from Michigan

[Source]

So, this is interesting...Did a search for Belle Isle, didn't see anything, posted to see what others think this is all about. Would this even be logical? How could they even do this? Isn't Belle Isle part of Michigan? I mean, there is a conservatory on the island...but what makes it such a unique target to buy?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
why do all the rich people need their own island with its own laws they already can do whatever they want and have their own laws... I guess an island is easier to defend when everyone finally decides to string them all up for destroying our nation.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Of all the places in the world to want to move, why the hell Detroit? If I had a billion dollars to spend on an island I wouldn't even consider purchasing one anywhere near Detroit. What $1 billion doesn't get anything tropical these days?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
You can't secede from Michigan without first seceding from the federal government, which u can't do, but I'd like to see them try lol...watch Obama drone strike their rich greedy asses just for trying, the dude is not shy about blowing up anti-Americans with drones

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
On top of it being an island, it's a national park...lol

Yeah I don't really know why they wanted to buy this freaking island, but obviously there is something missing from this picture...maybe they found the knight templar's treasure and it is buried somewhere they can't get to without everyone noticing? Lol, grasping at straws here.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Detroit will never let Belle Isle go. The Grand Prix that is run there every year brings in way to much revenue to let go. Also there are the boat races and other events that it is used for that bring money to Detroit. The city has had a hard time keeping up with the maintenence and such but I just don't see this as happening.

new topics

top topics

join