It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AR 15 .22 Conversion Kit Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Hope someone can help with this question not sure if it has ever been asked before but I know that this is one place of a few I know to ask. My question concerns the .22 bolt and carrier assembly. How do you store your swapped out bolt & carrier? Is there a company out there that makes a storage box for this purpose? I know I could just leave it in the safe when going to the range but would rather an appropriate container in case I want to switch out while out ? Does this make sense? Might have to scour the rubbermaid section at the local store if worse comes to worse and just cut some foam to line it with. Thanks for anyone's help in this.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
just go to lowes and buy one of those metal cases for $30 or go on ebay and it comes with foam in it and it comes with places to stick tools.. Make room for your extra pieces, extra ammo, extra clips, ect and even tools.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

I have several ammo can metal and plastic. Was just wondering of they made something a little more specific for this application. It probably exists but for the life of me I can't think of what to type in to search it. Or if a specific company has a good one.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I actually have a spot cut out of the foam in one of my cases for it. I just threw it in my range bag at first, but figured it needed some better protection. I would think you could find even a small soft pistol case to put it in that would be fine. They also sell small pelican cases on amazon that would be great for it as well. Hope this helps.
edit on 1/20/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

You know what come to think of it I do have an el cheapo multitool kit that stripped out but has a nice plastic case, gonna have to go scope that out, you know the kind with the screwdriver/ socket set, made in china crap people give out at Christmas!! You would think though for the price of the kits it would come with a case instead of just a throw away blister pack. For a while I was doing as you in the range bag but lint etc just no good me thinks.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I keep spare AR and 1911 parts in one of my son's old pencil pouches. They are plastic and if a little oil is present inside, it doesn't leak through...

I also keep smaller parts in hard plastic cases that I found at Walmart in the Fishing tackle section...Works great with slots and adjustable dividers....They come in all sizes and are cheap....

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I would put tit in a foam lined pistol case, has pre-cut cubes you can take out to fit darn near anything. I got one for my Mac-11. fits beautifully and looks professional.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Thats a great idea then I could fit my mag in there as well with it and a tube of lube.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
i keep mine in a camera case along with my other 22 equipment.

I have one scope set for high power .223 and one lower power scope set for .22lr to go along with the Conversion Kit

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Problem solved

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Yeah the case I had in mind didn't work out, too short. Will have to find a decent pluck foam handgun case that sounds the best idea yet.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
Yeah the case I had in mind didn't work out, too short. Will have to find a decent pluck foam handgun case that sounds the best idea yet.

BEWARE of the foam idea! The amazing thing about foam is it's ability to absorb moisture! That means pulling the oil away from your bolt and also harboring water from absorbed humidity which will encourage rust!

I have seen way too many weapons ruined, by being stored for extended periods in a foam-lined case.

Just a heads up, from someone with 30+ years of gun handling/storing experience...

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

Whats the best idea for cushioning then? Side note scored a free pistol case from my father as he had an extra laying around he didn't need, bonus it's a S&W so it will match my rifle, not that it matters but ocd does kick in often lmao....
edit on 21-1-2013 by jaynkeel because: add comment

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel

Whats the best idea for cushioning then? Side note scored a free pistol case from my father as he had an extra laying around he didn't need, bonus it's a S&W so it will match my rifle, not that it matters but ocd does kick in often lmao....
edit on 21-1-2013 by jaynkeel because: add comment

LOL...Well, A standard S&W AR bolt and bolt carrier are made of forged steel! There isn't much that can damage them. Anything that immobilizes your bolt carrier group while being stored, that doesn't seal it off and/or subject it to dirt, dust or moisture, will be fine. A cloth rag that has been spritzed with gun oil, loosely wrapped around it, would be fine!

If you want to keep it with the weapon for a quick change over to the original caliber, then whatever you are storing the original magazine(s) in, should accomodate the BCG, as well. I really like the zippered pencil pouch that I use for my extra slide and barrel for my Glock. It breathes, while able to keep a light coat of oil on my parts, and keeps the dust and dirt, away from them...

Good shooting!!!!

edit on 1/21/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: added text...

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Anything is better than the factory blister pack it comes in. And I usually run my guns a little on the oily side vs dry, not dripping but well lubed for sure. In fact my one .22 bolt action sat in the attic for about 5 yrs because when we moved in it got tossed up there and forgot about as I bought it when many years ago when I was in my teens. Still in the original shipping box although fired many times in the past. When I happened across it thinking it was gonna be nice and crusty from sitting so long, nope shiny inside as the day it was purchased. But now that I have room for it in my cabinet there she sits for my boys as they are now at the right age to start shooting. But I find as I am getting older I prefer to weed out the junk and organize the needed stuff a bit better, guess the wifey is wearing off on me after all these years!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

edit on 27-1-2013 by jaynkeel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

ZCORR bags work well for storing guns or gun internals.

CHECK IT OUT

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Got it figured out!! Yeah. Actually turned out really well. I used an old .colt .380 case and an exacto knife to carve out a spot for both items. Then layed foam in the lower part of the case and no rattles. Nothing moves and everything is now secure. Cost, $0 just 15 minutes of time to carve it out.
Thanks for everyones ideas.

Even threw in a little bottle for lube.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Not sure if anyone is still interested but I posted a picture up above. Turned out well. I am guessing from it getting moved from the right forum to general chit chat not many have followed as from the beginning. But there it is in all it's epicness!!!! LOL

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Well to everyone who gave me info on this thread thank you very much. It seems that the powers that be here disagree with my placement of this thread and after complaining and stomping my feet it is forever stuck in the off topic chit chat forum.
If anyone runs into the same problem in the future hopefully they will stumble across this thread and it will be of some help to them. Again thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction, much appreciated.

join