It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will it ever be considered a personal insult to be called a shill

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I get called a shill all the time on this site nowadays, as many have surely noticed, and its all based on my views on sandy hook. Its fairly laughable, but also frustrating to see it used as an attempt to divert the conversation from facts and evidence.

I have certainly noticed a pattern around here of those that use the term often, and, all I will say, is many of them 'doth protest too much'.

The truth is, though, is with a lot of it, it is a knee jerk reaction from people who had an idea, and made a post thinking that they would garner the support of all. When they dont get it, it is like a defense mechanism.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

I have been called a shill or the equivalent 3 times in 24 hours. Do I win a prize?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

aint no party like a shiiill party

you guys are funny.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

People call you a shill or whatever because of this.... allow me to introduce you to yourself....

Congrats another thread with YouTube assumptions and tinfoil conclusions. I'm sure this will conjure up a lot of "way to go" responses. But in the real world this is all bunk.

Thats a quote from you on another thread. You claim assumptions and resort to name calling without a breakdown of what it your assuming are assumptions and obviously the use of the word tinfoil is meant as derogatory.

Again you insult rather then providing actual evidence to support your argument that it is bunk with the next sentence. So rather then constructively engage the OP and debunk what he is offering with supporting evidence against something he obviously believes to be true you insult and provide straw man arguments.

Thats funny to considering a thread you create... here let me show you....

Alex Jones is the Ultimate Strawman

How about we add some perspective for you and see what a strawman is and if it applies to you in this case.

A straw man or straw person, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally,[1][2] is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[3] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.[3][4] This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged, emotional issues. Contents

After reading this do you agree with my stance? Or are you going to continue to open endedly bash people for no reason other then what seems to be your sadistic form of pleasure?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Will it ever be considered a personal insult to be called a shill

Well, it is an insult. If anyone see's someone being called a shill, alert it. We'll then deal with it.

It's also worth pointing out that I've been called a shill lately too, it happens. It's an unbelievably stupid argument, but a common one nonetheless. The fact remains though, it's not allowed here - nor are any other kind of personal attacks. So, as we don't see everything here, alert it and we'll sort it out.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Always a level headed response RA. The thing is, I don't think people like to alert as much because it feels like being a tattletale or a rat. To me, i just brush it off, respond in defense of myself and hope one of you guys happen to read it.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

And how am I supposed to debunk a youtube Video thread? That's the point . Lately it Seems like people post a YouTube video and consider that solid evidence that one now has the burden of disproving. There was once a time when one needed more Than a youtube video that they didn't Create to make an argument here on ATS.

Your using my threads proves proves nothing. I stand by all of it and will continue to post how I do. If you consider me a shill because of it, then so be it- Your loss.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Yeah, I imagine a lot feel that way.

Unfortunately though, If no one alerted ever, ATS would be a rather sad place to be I imagine. See, we do rely heavily on members to alert the stuff we don't want here, such as insults or rude posts for example. Reason being we just can't be everywhere all the time - unfortunately - and there's also no getting away from the fact that we're members too, and we'd like to worry about posting to an interesting thread from time to time, not just solely moderating.

So honestly, to all those who do feel like it is tattle tailing, just alert anyway, please. At the end of the day It's helping us out and in turn It's helping make ATS a better site as well - Which is surely the goal.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I don't consider you a shill at all in fact I don't like the use of the term shill.

I'm just adding some perspective for you.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You didn't make an arguement thought that's what I'm saying.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Because there isn't an argument in the world to combat YouTube opinion.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

So whats the point then?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Exactly, there is no point. And I make it a point to post in that Kind of thread to point out that there is no point to YouTube nonsense.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

You could just allow people to be creative and curious. You could even be enabling but with direction. That tends to have a more positive impact on the overall community.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Ah, cynicism is healthy. Im not going to stop any creative thinking here. But I do like to add skepticism as much as possible when I deem necessary.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Cynicism is an attitude or state of mind characterized by a general distrust of others' apparent motives or ambitions, or a general lack of faith or hope in the human race or in individuals with desires, hopes, opinions, or personal tastes that a cynic perceives as unrealistic or inappropriate, therefore deserving of ridicule or admonishment. It is a form of jaded negativity, and other times, realistic criticism or skepticism. The term originally derives from the ancient Greek philosophers called the Cynics who rejected all conventions, whether of religion, manners, housing, dress, or decency, advocating the pursuit of virtue in accordance with a simple and unmaterialistic way of life.

You WANT to be a cynic?

You WANT to be jaded and negative? How is that good for anything?

I think your approach is creatively oppressive. I think if you want to refute someones ideas you could do it more reasonably and with less cynicism. If i remember correctly your educated.
edit on 24-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

Add - Im seriously not trying to attack you here i just want to understand. Im also curious as to the nature of this thread considering...
edit on 24-2-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join