It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist seeks surrogate mother for Neanderthal baby

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

You realize you are talking about brainwashing and are taking the stance supported by sheepherder’s right?

As long as you realize the irony in that then there shouldn’t be much more to say on the subject.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

No, I don't.
Nice attempt at a cop-out though.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Sort of reminds me of the Isaac Asimov story 'The ugly little boy' about a neanderthal kid brought back and growing up alone in a human world...

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
On the one hand, I can see the scientific value in having a living neanderthal to study and observe. On the other hand, how heartless and cruel to bring this creature into the modern world to be treated as a freak, and a lab rat. Any woman who goes for this must be out of her mind.

If the price is right there will always be someone who would do this.

Its all about the money you know.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I think that since we probably caused their extinction and can now bring them back then we probably should. If the lack inteliigence to live in our societies we should section off some land and allow them to thrive and live comfortably in nature at their own pace. The only issues being keeping them contained.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
I think that since we probably caused their extinction and can now bring them back then we probably should. If the lack inteliigence to live in our societies we should section off some land and allow them to thrive and live comfortably in nature at their own pace. The only issues being keeping them contained.

Wait, what? Why should we bring them back? Just because our ancestors caused their extinction a long time ago? What would be the point of genetically engineering a bunch of these things just to dump them off in the wild?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
On the one hand, I can see the scientific value in having a living neanderthal to study and observe. On the other hand, how heartless and cruel to bring this creature into the modern world to be treated as a freak, and a lab rat. Any woman who goes for this must be out of her mind.

A Neanderthal is equal to any modern human in many ways.

Treating this person as a lab rat would be the same as treating any human being as a lab rat.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
The theory of evolution states that we have a common ancestor with the other great apes. It does not postulate that we are descended from apes. I would like to point out though that you are an ape, so am I. There are 5 great apes - the orang-utan, the gorilla, the chimpanzee, the bonobo and the human.

We are mammals and apes and animals and humans.

I think it would be amazing if the Neanderthals were resurrected - I wonder though if bringing back 1 Neanderthal is a good idea. Most people of Western European Ancestry have at least 4 % Neanderthal DNA. They think that is where the red hair gene comes from. Which puts the British Isles on a course for being very Neanderthal?

Apparently the last Neanderthals lived in Spain, Northern Spain I believe, that is also where the European homosapiens sheltered during the height of the ice age.

When the ice age receded, but when there were still land bridges across Europe, many of these humans walked to what is now Ireland and Britain, which is why the Basques and the British have such similar DNA.

edit on 21-1-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

think of the existential conundrum the poor thing would suffer?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

This link in the Telegraph talks about a study from Cambridge University that says our ancestors did not breed with Neaderthals but that we share common ancestry with them. Much like we do with the great apes.
It is confusing - because these findings contradict what other studies have shown.

It is difficult to evaluate these studies as well, without having access to the papers. Just thought this might be interesting.

Mods I tried putting an ext link in but I could not do it - sorry

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
It seems like I'm the only one here, but the idea fascinates me!

If I was a scientist with the ability and means to do such a thing, I guess I would.
To know the truth about the appearence of Neanderthal and put to bed the controversies,
to see if having a larger brain equals higher intelligence.... or different intelligence (and in what ways).....not to speak of the evidence we could gather on various aspects of nurture versus nature! So much could be learned from such an experience!

Of course, ethical treatment of the being would be important to uphold, which is why I would rather see this done legitamately, where the public can call them on abuses. Someone doing it as a secret experiment can avoid all accountability.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'm not an extremist religious fanatic or anything, but did the term "Anti-Christ" cross anyone's mind?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

That's just a bad idea. Women have trouble having kids as it is. That would most certainly have to be a c-section. And this is assuming the body even takes it considering the difference in genetic material.

Ethically this wouldn't pass the muster. There are very few boards who would be ok with this kind of scheme. It wouldn't be a craze, the poor child would be treated a freak. Not ok, don't play with people's lives like that.
edit on 20-1-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

OK....so we'll bypass the boards and just take this venture to the Institute for Noetic Sciences and we'll have that baby nine months after that...then no one would ever know that this kid exists and the mother would probably be killed off...sounds about right.
edit on 21-1-2013 by AFewGoodWomen because: edit

Besides...people with major Neanderthal genetic markers still exist in mankind today....get to the southeastern US much?...no, this isn't a dig on Rednecks...you can see the difference just by looking at some of these families and their history..especially in certain regions that are home to certain tribes of Native American Indian. You can actually see the difference in skull measurements and body types...nothing to do with intelligence...that is a purely regional thing (socio-economic factor)...no I don't want anyone accusing me of being a bigot toward the southern-US culture...this is purely an observation of an inquisitive mind. Alas, hypothesis was formed and experiment begins...hammer away at me if you will.
edit on 21-1-2013 by AFewGoodWomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

exactly, he would have his life solved. He would be important and comfortable.

Also people fail to realize that he would be AS INTELLIGENT as us if not more due to his/her larger brain. He would not be a partial ape. He would be able to do everything you and I can.

It has been proven that they used every tool we did and probably had complex language and social structure as well.

He/ she would be playing Xbox, using a computer, and riding a skateboard. Then he/she would go to college and speak about his peoples misrepresentation in history and possibly be a note worthy mind due to all the advantages he would get as a singular person in the world....

I am for it....I wish I could birth him/ her....

Ladies, it is up to you....do it for LIFE. Let his people live again.

edit on 20-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

That's an incredibly optimistic view you have there but unfortunately not one that is based in reality.

In reality if the child was able to be born successfully, it would be stuck in a cell and tested for the rest of it's life.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

blues ma

you are not alone...

VOLUNTEER!

it would be GREAT! RAISE HIM/ HER yourself.....

edit on 21-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

not if they wanted to see His/ her behavior in groups and the learned societal functions and capabilities He/she would have. They would be raised by us and we would observe how He/she interacted with us.

There would be a wealth of knowledge in just seeing how they developed language skills in a group, what interests they had or were prone to....ect

I dont think the biological curiosity would trump the societal curiosity.

we would be more interested in its mind....seeing as how we are still trying to understand ours and what makes US tick...

edit on 21-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by HopSkipJump
I'm not an extremist religious fanatic or anything, but did the term "Anti-Christ" cross anyone's mind?

No.

Spooky legends and fairy tales have no place in the rational scientific mind.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
reply to post by Bluesma

blues ma

you are not alone...

VOLUNTEER!

it would be GREAT! RAISE HIM/ HER yourself.....

LOL- I seriously thought I would if I could! I am over forty, which would not make me a good candidate.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

Brain size does not indicate intelligence. Brain structure is what does that.

en.wikipedia.org...

There are animals with brains larger than ours yet they are not intelligent.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

I'm sorry but i don't buy it.

The only social interaction this would have would be with scientists in a lab and that kind of interaction would be enough to satisfy them.

They are not going to clone an extinct species and let it live freely with the rest of us.

The only reason they would allow this to happen is so that they can study it in a closed environment for their own curiosity.

I'm surprised you find this so exciting. Yes it may be a fascinating idea on paper, but in reality the poor thing will just end up being a lab rat. The fact that it is a human subspecies makes it all the more disturbing.

It's the same thing as the Woolly Mammoth. They are not going to clone one and allow it to roam freely in Siberia. It will be stuck in conditions that would make Zoos look like paradise.

edit on 21-1-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join