It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist seeks surrogate mother for Neanderthal baby

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I do not believe we are wise enough to handle this. You create one, well it is an oddity and will then long for what it can not have. What happens if it shows intelligence, the kind to figure out how to say ask for its freedom, do we then deny it that right, all in the name of protecting it.

What if this potential child, grows up and then wants to mate, or have young, it is possible and doable, then what, do we create another one? Is that not creating a new race? Can we handle that responsibility for bringing such into being?

Some would say we are responsible for such, but are we? After all as a species, we seem bound and determined to eliminate those who hold posing ideas or resources, even tinkering with biological agents that if released would ultimately kill all of us off, or put the human race into another bottleneck.

Then there is the differing point of views, what if the Neanderthals were not wholey human, but something totally else? How close is the DNA, is it 100% or is it say 99%?

And ultimately the question is why bring back a species that has had no contact with modern humans? After all is there no other species that has had contact with modern humans that could not be brought back, as a show that we have the wisdom and the means to do such, to where it can show that we intend to bring back the world from the brink where at one time there was an ecological niche and we have understanding on how such survived?

We seek to bring something back or even do something good, why not species that are on the brink of extinction or even has gone extinct that is due to the extermination from man kind? Far better to play it safe and show wisdom than to proceed without concern and ultimately cause more problems in the long run.

Awesome points, btw. Neanderthal matches around 99.8% of our genome so they are close in relationship. However, chimpanzees are our closest living relative at around 99% genetic similarity. Tells you how much a difference that 1% can make, eh? The argument is still out there last I checked in regards to whether or not neanderthal and modern human would be compatible for mating. Something like 3-4% of our DNA is traced to Neanderthal but some argue that that is because of a common ancestor and others argue that it is due to interbreeding. If it's the former, that would be one lonely Neanderthal (and that would be if a human would chose to mate with a clone--bit of a stigma there even if it were possible). Problem with going ahead and just making more is that we all are slightly differentiated from each other normally and well, Neanderthal probably, due to aging of genetic material, don't have a huge bank of DNA to pull from in order to make genetic variety. That gets into a whole different kind of icky factor...lol

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Somewhere I think I read that neanderthals had a better immune system than Cro-mags. I'm thinking that any baby born with more neanderthal in them might actually be healthier than those with less .... but of course that could be wrong because no one really knows for sure.

From my previous post in thread
Than answer is No
Its also known that babies conceived out of the womb do not fair as well health wise.

It's also possible a Neanderthal baby would lack immunity to contemporary infectious diseases, and therefore might not survive, the Independent reports. Neanderthals, our closest known genetic relatives, died off some 30,000 years ago.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bowtomonkey

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
I mentioned bring back Ancient Sumerians earlier on but I'm now thinking maybe bring back the Pharoahs could be a better option or bring both back...

Whats the name of that Trilogy of Films??

Anyway as long as they didn't behave like in those Films but actually gave us answers to the Questions we;ve been asking then i'd be all for it....

Do you really think that ancient human would be any different to people today. By the looks of them they in the more average range of human.

From my understanding, they couldn't speak, write or build! They lived in caves and only came out to hunt.... there is nothing to learn from them if we wanted to examine the brain to see if they had a past life... what could they tell us if they could speak this time round???

Now, if we bought back a Pharoah (like I said)... we could delve into the past using Psychics to bring out their past live's and pretty sure we could find a lot of answers to the questions we have...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
i would be more interested in seeing a silverback crossbread with a human,

real life super soliders

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I think if we want to unlock our past, this might be a key step.

why? we have the dna we don't need the live specimen to read it's past

So you know how it behaved? Sounded? Thought?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

No where near related? Really? You seriously need to do some reading up on Neanderthal to Homo DNA, because we are EXTREMELY alike.

www.pbs.org...
edit on 22-1-2013 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Wouldn't work. They will think, act differently now, just because they are in a totally different environment, and has no peers to learn from.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

From my understanding, they couldn't speak, write or build!

Might want to update your knowledge base on Neaderthals...2 out of those 3 are pretty much incorrect from what we understand of them now... and hell, at that time I doubt what modern man was then had the ability to write either.

As for your past lives idea... **insert Jacky Chan "My Mind is full of F" meme here**

Hey, not being nasty since I believe in the possibility of genetic memory. And past lives to a degree. Just found that a rather far out proposal on your part
kinda like a brain surgeon using a pendulum to divine the location of a patience brain tumor...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy

I think if we want to unlock our past, this might be a key step.

why? we have the dna we don't need the live specimen to read it's past

So you know how it behaved? Sounded? Thought?

how would you feel if aliens did the same thing to you and kept you in a cage? what are we going to do with make it a celebrity? it's a disgusting idea to me. shows how f'd up we are as not only a civilization but a species

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
this is what we are talking about. NOT that big a deal

they probably interbred with us anyways. It is not like it is THAT far off from what happened in nature anyways.

Also how would this sort of person be treated anything less than human?

edit on 20-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

Those last two dark complected guys would fit right in at my family reunion.

The one guys nose is pretty huge maybe not so much him, he'd still be welcome to join in, but the other one reminds me of some of my mexican/native american biker cousins. The top of his head is flatter, he needs a padded bandana, but the face sure fits.

The women in my family are small, asian looking but some of the men are really big guys. My cousins are sweethearts so I'm sympathizing with Neanderthal.

If we don't raise our babies in labs/zoos to experiment on them why would we do that with our "relative's" babies? I guess I consider them very very distant cousins worthy of respect. Maybe I'm an animal too.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Here you go guys.

George Church, the 'crazy mad scientist' behind this, addressing the topic. From the horses mouth.

edit on 22-1-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by Zatox

I truly don't see what was so mad or crazy about what he said there....

He essentially said perhaps they could think of something new and innovative that would help society.

So none of that sounded crazy to you? Hmm.. read it over once more

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Zatox

I did and it doesn't.

Did you read what I said? Any comment on that?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   

edit on 23-1-2013 by gnostician because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Another try

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Just in case anyone was wondering, the scientist at the centre of this media nonsense is NOT looking for a surrogate mother for a neanderthal. An interview he gave for a german magazine Der Spiegel was taken out of context and misinterpreted.

No patter of little neanderthal feet, sorry.
edit on 23-1-2013 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by Zatox

He essentially said perhaps they could think of something new and innovative that would help society.

that's the most idiotic thing I've heard in a while. let me get this right- we clone a Neanderthal in order for him to solve all our societal problems? really? are you going with that?

edit on 23-1-2013 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ

Might want to update your knowledge base on Neaderthals...2 out of those 3 are pretty much incorrect from what we understand of them now... and hell, at that time I doubt what modern man was then had the ability to write either.

As for your past lives idea... **insert Jacky Chan "My Mind is full of F" meme here**

Hey, not being nasty since I believe in the possibility of genetic memory. And past lives to a degree. Just found that a rather far out proposal on your part
kinda like a brain surgeon using a pendulum to divine the location of a patience brain tumor...

I meant 'build' as in 'build anything worthwhile'

And as you had a dig at me... I shall retort:

You spelt 'Patients' wrong.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ

I meant 'build' as in 'build anything worthwhile'

And as you had a dig at me... I shall retort:

You spelt 'Patients' wrong.

Neanderthals were not as low brow as you would think. They actually may have been the first artists. They have found art objects and musical instruments among Neanderthal remains plus the oldest cave art, found in 2012, is suspected as being Neanderthal.

Kind of interesting reads:

discovermagazine.com...
news.discovery.com...

Building things doesn't necessarily mean much. Homo erectus may have been building lean-to's and rafts some 900,000 years ago. We don't give any of our ancestors much credit really and tend to still see them in the possibly wrong representation of savage cavemen. Evidence of them actually wearing linens was discovered years ago. The biggest problem with buildings, though, would be that they would most likely not survive to be noted and would have decomposed long ago to leave little trace. The process of fossilization is actually incredibly rare and takes a certain amount of water and a whole lot of minerals. That could explain why we're more likely to find fossilized bone and other objects in caves than anywhere else.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join