It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is Why You have Gun Rights and What They Have Done for the United States

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Driving around today, I decided to listen to an oldies channel for a change. After a couple songs played, I heard something I hand't heard in years.

Growing up, my Dad taught me how to play the Banjo and one of the songs we would often practice was, 'Battle of New Orleans'. I had forgotten the story this song tells. Once I heard it again, I realized how well it paints the picture of what Gun Ownership Rights have meant historically, and still today, for The United States of America.

Through these lyrics, you can imagine what this song may sound like if the citizens did not have the right to bear arms back then and how different things may be today without those rights.

It happened in the past, it could happen again, whether a foreign or domestic threat, this is the epitome of why every United States' Citizen has the right to purchase and own fire-arms of their preference.

The music video is embedded below the lyrics, if you want to listen while you read.

In 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.

[Chorus:]
We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and they began to runnin' on
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

We looked down the river and we see'd the British come.
And there must have been a hundred of'em beatin' on the drum.
They stepped so high and they made the bugles ring.
We stood by our cotton bales and didn't say a thing.

[Chorus]

Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise
If we didn't fire our muskets 'til we looked 'em in the eye
We held our fire 'til we see'd their faces well.
Then we opened up with squirrel guns and really gave 'em ... well

[Chorus]

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.**

We fired our cannon 'til the barrel melted down.
So we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round.
We filled his head with cannon balls, and powdered his behind
And when we touched the powder off, the gator lost his mind.

[Chorus]

Yeah, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.**

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

He also Had a Hit song

Sink the Bismarck, Think we can all have our own Battleship?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I love that song! It brings back memories of when my kids were young. Every time this song came on the oldies station we made it into a family sing along. I've noticed they have resurrected this song from the vaults on my favorite oldies channel and have been playing it a lot more often. Apparently you aren't the only one who feels it's a good reminder!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I'm all for the second amendment n all...but if gun lovers keep using the founding fathers and the revolutionary war as a prime example of why the second amendment should allow any and all citizens to bear arms. Then maybe they should take it more literally n only allow ordinary citizens to be able to carry muskets, that's 3 shots a min at 60 paces if u practice A LOT. lol

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

A well armed residence IS a personal battleship... a well skilled resident IS the Captian of their 'battleship'

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This should be our next battle song.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GokuVsSuperman0

Yes, you have a point. All citizens should have the same exact access to similar weapons in the time of the Founding Fathers.

Since muskets and cannons were Cutting Edge military armaments of their time, then each and every modern citizen should have the right to arm themself with the cutting edge armaments of modern day.

Very Good Point, arming ourselves, like the Founding Fathers did, with cutting edge weaponry will certainly give us the capability to fight the enemy who also has access to cutting edge weaponry...

Imagine if the Founding Fathers tried to use sling-shots and blow-guns to combat the guns used by the enemy... It's a good thing for the United States that the founding fathers were smart, experienced, and brave. They knew what could happen in the future, because of their past, so they provided us with a way to secure ourselves in the event of civil-war, tyranny, and/or invasion, or other existential threats.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GokuVsSuperman0
I'm all for the second amendment n all...but if gun lovers keep using the founding fathers and the revolutionary war as a prime example of why the second amendment should allow any and all citizens to bear arms. Then maybe they should take it more literally n only allow ordinary citizens to be able to carry muskets, that's 3 shots a min at 60 paces if u practice A LOT. lol
Sure, we'll do that right after they begin using muskets again.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Before the 2nd Amendment, the phrase "right to bear arms" meant exactly that in many cultures (including the British Bill of Rights 1689, from where the Constitution was mostly taken), to "bear your arms" (a coat of arms) on your shield in battle.

Knights had been given the right to display their coat of arms on their shields so that they could be easily identified both in victory, and in defeat.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yep. Self armed Citizen Militia made up a huge part of Jackson's forces in that campaign.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

The musket was the assault weapon of the day, things have changed though.
By this logic, I will ask that you write into ATS rather than posting responses via the web.
Also, only use a quill pen and inkwell please.
I do support the 2A fully up to full auto and silencers.
That is what the average soldier can carry, which is what the average citizen should have access to.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Sorry for this off topic but I am new and don't have rights to send PMs yet. You posted some time ago about an interesting site on Bluff Mountain or Green Top. Can you provide any specifics on where this site is? I live in the area and would like to check it out. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Huntsman360

Sorry for the delayed reply, had power outage in the area last night and it shut down the net... ofcourse it didn't help that my laptop battery was already low when the power died...

No problem about the off-topic question.

I am not sure in which thread you are referencing, or what it is that I reveal in the post you mention.

I know of 2-3 strange things on Bluff Mountain. One of them actually set the mountain on fire, where it burned for a couple weeks recently. They claimed arson, but the 'un-official' story is that there was a government contractor/military presence in the area and they are responisible for setting the mountain ablaze.

The fire originated where there is a very suspicious entrance to, what appears to be, an underground base of sorts. The entrance is constructed out of reinforced concrete, including the massive doors.

It is located in a low point of a valley. It's position could best be described as being situated at the rear most point of a lake cove, if the lake were drained, revealing the lake floor and the valley that creates the cover.

Also, it is built underground and it's entry is is onlye visible if you are standing right in front of it. Imagine a rolling hill, in the shape of a horse-shoe, with a door at the base of the hill and positioned at the deepest point of the horse-shoe.

It is also reminiscent of a 'mound' home, where the home is underground and any angle it is seen from, other than facing head on, makes it impossible to know the mound is anything more than a mound.

If you travel to the top of Bluff Mountain, where the fire-towers and ranger lookout tower are located. I am not sure, but I believe you can still climb to the top of the Ranger's Tower. It is smalle, with a tin roof and window frames, with no windows, that spin like a rolling pin.

From atop the tower, you can see Pigeon Forge, Wears Valley, Mt Leconte, Seymour, Sevierville, Maryville and Chapman Hwy all the way to the 'Sun Sphere'. Great place to go on the 4th of July!

When you reach the pinnacle of Bluff Mountain, you will see where the tower is. You can pull off and head up to the tower, you can turn around and head back down, or you can continue on the path that turns into gravel after you reach the tower's location.

That path eventually lets you loop around, hooking back into Bluff Mtn. Rd. There, you can continue your decent or head back to the tower.

The point where the gravel path splits back to Bluff Mtn Rd also has another path that leads deeper into the mountainside. Eventually the path dead ends and appears to simply be an unfinished back road. Most people simply turn around, or some park and have a few beers, because no one ever goes back there regularly.

If you look closely, you can see where the path continues, although it is grown up quit a bit. There is a lot of undergrowth and frustrating thorns along the path, but there are no real large trees to hinder a 4wd's passage. Thanks to the undergrowth, it just looks like there is no path and no one even attempts to go down it.

We were messing around out there, walking through the woods, playing hide-n-go-seek with old-style paintball guns, when we discovered the entrance way. It was locked and appeared as if it hadn't been disturbed in a bit, but not as long as it would take for the path to be overgrown to the extent it was. We figured someone must be walking to it andgoing inside, but we never could confirm that.

There are some other strange things associated with the out of place structure, but nothing that would help you find it any better.

So, go to the top of Bluff Mtn, where the towers are. Instead of turning back, continue along the gravel road. Eventually you'll see a place where the road seems to split off, left goes back to Bluff Mtn Rd and the right seems to dead end a few feet in.

When you find this place, follow the overgrown path for about 45 minutes (walking speed) or until the path leads to the back wall of a valley/cove.

Once you get there, you just need to keep your eyes open and you'll notice the undergrowth begins to thin out. About 15-20ft away from the door you will be able to see gravel on the path, as-well-as weeds growing through it in patches.

Hope this helps you find it. It is definitely something I'd like to know more about. It's like a myth that old-timers talk about. No one expects it to be true, but it is... I'm fairly certain that not a lot of local people know about it, outside of who my friends and myself told about it... and the 5,750,224,149 people I just told online..

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Thanks for the info and no worries about he delay. The power has the tendency to go out at the worst of times. :-)

I'm going to plan a day out to check the area, I was checking out the snow and the scenery over the weekend n the West side of the mountain but didn't venture out of the truck.

Any chance of a google earth shot or approximate lat/long to make sure I am headed in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for anything that you can add. If you want send it as an SUS as compared to an open post.

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
reply to post by GokuVsSuperman0

Yes, you have a point. All citizens should have the same exact access to similar weapons in the time of the Founding Fathers.

Since muskets and cannons were Cutting Edge military armaments of their time, then each and every modern citizen should have the right to arm themself with the cutting edge armaments of modern day.

Very Good Point, arming ourselves, like the Founding Fathers did, with cutting edge weaponry will certainly give us the capability to fight the enemy who also has access to cutting edge weaponry...

Imagine if the Founding Fathers tried to use sling-shots and blow-guns to combat the guns used by the enemy... It's a good thing for the United States that the founding fathers were smart, experienced, and brave. They knew what could happen in the future, because of their past, so they provided us with a way to secure ourselves in the event of civil-war, tyranny, and/or invasion, or other existential threats.

This might sound like an dumb question but i have heard this before and I have to ask. Since any American is entitled to what ever weapon is available to the government, does that mean that every American is entitled to a nuclear warhead and am armed jet fighter with a runway?

Where is the line drawn on that one?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FirstCasualty

i think it more refers to artillery and small arms that an infantry man would carry or pull w a horse . so i guess if they had issued Davy crocket reconciles nuclear rifle then maybe but as they didnt i think it would limit americans to what an average infantry solider could carry on his person and take with him into battle
edit on 21-1-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Huntsman360

I am not sure the exact location (long, lat), but it isn't hard to get to the top of Bluff Mtn.

Turn off Wears Valley Rd and onto Bluff Mtn Rd. Follow Bluff Mtn Rd all the way to the top. There is one place where the road 'y's off. Staying right will take you to the bluff, going left continues to the mountain top.

Yes, the snow was nice, it came down quick. It had me worried that there would be a nasty layer of ice underneath the snow, like in '94, the year after the 'blizzard'. Thankfully there wasn't, but that didn't stop me from busting my butt as I tried to walk down my drive-way.. black ice = red 'butt'

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FirstCasualty

I think you'd probably find the line drawn between weaponized machinery and fire-arms for personal protection.

In the event of a civil war, or a citizen's militia at war with a tyrannical power, then yes, every person capable of flying a plane should be granted access to weaponized fighter jets, boats, tanks, etc. Nuclear deterrents are not something I advocate in any situation. However, because they exist, I believe they need to be kept in play as a deterrent against other nuclear powered forces.
edit on 21-1-2013 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Sorry, looking at map (GE) Bluff Mtn Road doesn't go to the top. Tower Road does and turns into Green Top Rd. is Green Top road where you are talking about? A lot of area and looks real easy to start at the wrong place so I want to pin it down via map as close as I can before I go out there. If I find it ill share the pics!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

I think you have a good description of what should be primarily accepted as standard weapons for citizens.

Nuclear weapons and weaponized machinery is capable of killing hundreds of thousands of people in only seconds. Allowing anyone to possess such power would be foolish in any circumstance.

However, if the enemy is armed with such weapons of destruction, then they should also be made available to our citizens. Although, I do not think everyone should be able to fill out a few papers and take home a nuke, or a nuke launcher.

A weapon that can create so much carnage and chaos would have to be closely monitored and the people wielding such powerful weapons must be trained under high-scrutiny and monitored closely, very, very closely.

After that, the weapon should only be made available to entire companies who have gone through the super-high-intensity-training. Everyone should take super-high-intensity-training from instructors who have become masters in all phases of super-high-intensity-training.

Those who go through super-high-intensity-training would have to score among the best to ever take a super-high-intensity-training course.

There will be many different types of super-high-intensity-training, each designed for specific weapons.

edit on 21-1-2013 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join