Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Now that I think about it, it is not the "desire/wish" itself that causes suffering, but instead..

page: 1
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Now that I think about it; desires are divine. It is the will to keep living and it is also the root of individual personalities. Without desire, there would be no desire to survive (eat, drink, etc). With desire we are our own person. We are individual, and we create new ideas.


It is not the desire/wish itself that has caused the suffering; it is the BELIEF that your desire/wish needs to be shown HERE in the physical world for it to be enjoyed or valued.

Because the imagination was put into the meaningless box by most people, it hurts when the desire is not in physical reality and it therefore feels less "real".

Have as much desire as you wish! Play it out in your omnipotent, omnipresent mind! Have fun with the desire, but if you think that it MUST be in physical reality you will feel "lack".




posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I can do that with most things, but when it comes to the ladies, imagination just dosent cut it.



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme
 


Wanting causes suffering. If you don't want, then you don't suffer from lack of having. This applies to health, money, toys, drugs, women, etc.



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf10
 


If the desire is not happening and imagination is not enough, there will be lack/suffering. If it is happening, go for it and still enjoy it in the imagination and physical reality, if you want.


If I will eat a delicious meal. I can have fun imagining it and getting in the anticipation of it, and later when I take the first bite it'll be really good, but if unforeseen circumstances happen and I cannot get it for whatever reason, I still enjoyed it in my mind.

reply to post by AfterInfinity
 




Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by arpgme
 


Wanting causes suffering. If you don't want, then you don't suffer from lack of having. This applies to health, money, toys, drugs, women, etc.



The wanting doesn't cause anything but wanting. The need for it to be here in physical reality when it isn't, is what causes suffering. If enjoying it in the mind is not enough, then you'll suffer. If you enjoy it in the mind, then it being in physical reality is just extra.
edit on 20-1-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
But how do you not want?
its just not human.



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf10
 


Just stop wanting so much...or at the very least, stop wanting what you don't need. And most of what we want, we don't need.



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf10
 



Originally posted by lonewolf10
But how do you not want?
its just not human.


What does this have to do with the Original Post?

I did speak about not wanting anything...



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme
 


i was talking to goku, i mean afterinfinity.



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf10
But how do you not want?
its just not human.


The pursuit of happiness is the most human thing there is. If you recognise that want and attachment contribute to suffering and unhappiness, then it's not all that hard to not want, and it's perfectly human to not do so.

And even if it is natural and human to want, that in itself isn't an argument, it's a fallacy if anything.

Most people want something, it's too much to ask otherwise, that isn't going to change.



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme
 





Have as much desire as you wish! Play it out in your omnipotent, omnipresent mind! Have fun with the desire, but if you think that it MUST be in physical reality you will feel "lack".



I like it my desire is to make Isis an honest woman, not that she never wasnt. Doesnt teh Bible say ask and you will receive?



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Now that I think about it; desires are divine. It is the will to keep living and it is also the root of individual personalities. Without desire, there would be no desire to survive (eat, drink, etc). With desire we are our own person. We are individual, and we create new ideas.


It is not the desire/wish itself that has caused the suffering; it is the BELIEF that your desire/wish needs to be shown HERE in the physical world for it to be enjoyed or valued.

Because the imagination was put into the meaningless box by most people, it hurts when the desire is not in physical reality and it therefore feels less "real".

Have as much desire as you wish! Play it out in your omnipotent, omnipresent mind! Have fun with the desire, but if you think that it MUST be in physical reality you will feel "lack".


thinking about it is the first mistake. or identifying with that which desires.

life would flow on without any desires from the excessive concentration on the personality from where they arise. needs that arise would be attended to. eg: food, drink.

if desire arises it is preferable to just observe it and not get caught up in it. it is of the mind and you are awareness/consciousness from where the mind takes its power.

errors/pain/pleasure arise when we identify with body and mind. a calm mind reflects the bliss that we are.

it is the subsidence of desire after gratification that momentarily calms the mind and allows reflection of this bliss.
soon after, more desires clamour for attention and disturb our calm.

i dont see the mind as omnipresent; if it was then no "fun" could be experienced from another source. there would be no enjoying, no enjoyer and no enjoyment which three belong in duality.

i dont see desires as divine. the divine just IS.



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme
 


Life and suffering are tied to each other. If you dont want to suffer, then you dont want to live.

Everything we love is but sandcastles on the shores of reality. Many wish to die before they see those things crumble under the unending rise and fall of the universal tide.



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
You can live without suffering.

I suggest you read Wake Up To Your Life It is a great resource for discovering helpful habits to limit suffering.

Suffering comes in many different forms, not just a want for something you do not physically have, but also self sabotaging habits in ways we think and react to our world.

"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional."



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangutang
life would flow on without any desires from the excessive concentration on the personality from where they arise. needs that arise would be attended to. eg: food, drink.


A need can only exist with a desire.

We need food and water because we WANT to survive. We are hard-wired to want to survive, and therefore, to fulfill that desire, we NEED to sustain the body (food, water, sleep, etc).


Because of the DESIRE, certain things NEED to be done to fulfill it, but without a desire, there is no need.



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity
 





Wanting causes suffering. If you don't want, then you don't suffer from lack of having. This applies to health, money, toys, drugs, women, etc.


Unfortunately, it is human nature to always want more. Better health. Better drugs. More money, more toys, more women. LOTS of women! Oh crap, did I just reveal too much?



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme
 


I desire something, or feel I do, so I use the most efficient tool that is available to me, my mind, to define,find, and obtain my desire. If I meet with a problem along the way I use my senses in conjunction with my mind to find something that will fix said problem and, voila, problem gone.

My mind is an almost limitless tool far superior to my lap-top. except when I imbibe more than I should or stay up too late too many nights you know what I mean. I desire lots of things because that's what living is about, when my desire wanes I guess I'll start going to seed pretty quick, not a prospect to look forward to, so I make the effect to keep the mind up and running all times and I can't imagine my desire getting winkles.




posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by AfterInfinity
 





Wanting causes suffering. If you don't want, then you don't suffer from lack of having. This applies to health, money, toys, drugs, women, etc.


Unfortunately, it is human nature to always want more. Better health. Better drugs. More money, more toys, more women. LOTS of women! Oh crap, did I just reveal too much?


It is human nature to want. That is what makes us the way we are - needy and scared. The human race just can't get enough of anything to satisfy their needs. Never satisfied - that is the human condition - needy and greedy.
Never satisfied = suffering.

The cure is 'want what you have and don't want what you don't have'. But humans are mental - they believe there is more because the mind says there is more - deluded by mind.
edit on 21-1-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Desire is lack. Contentness is wholeness.

Just try to get rid of all desires, even if for a brief moment.

What I realize is that I am someone else's desire. And everyone else is that same someone else's desire. What that shows me, and what I spiritually strive for more than anything else in this life is synchronicity, or alone, ny. We are like gears in a watch that don't see the watch. We only see other gears.

From that concept alone, you can extrapolate many other vital, existential understandings. That's why I think there is a divine creator.

So you may not be able to get rid of your desires altogether, but you can learn how to do everything for God or others.
edit on 21-1-2013 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Desire is Isis incarnated and alive and fusing with her body soul and mind.



posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb
 


All there is is right here and right now - there is nothing 'more'. When this is realized desire vanishes.





new topics

top topics



 
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join