It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Enemies of the 2nd Amendment Surface in Miami- City offering Miami Heat Tickets for Guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

The Miami Police Department is asking residents to turn in their weapons in return for Miami Heat tickets and gift cards.

The gun buyback program is similar to those seen across the country. Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado hopes that his buyback will prevent gun violence in the area.

"What we're doing here, we're beating the odds," Regalado said. "If one incident is avoided, it's worth it."

A buyback was held today at Jordan Grove Baptist Church where 50 weapons (mostly hunting rifles and small caliber handguns) were handed over in the first hour.

Residents were given a choice of $25 or $50 gift certificates to Walmart or Winn-Dixie -- or 300-level Miami Heat tickets! Any person who returned an assault rifle was given two 100-level tickets to a game this March.

cnsnews.com...

"All of the guns for us, no guns for you."

Drill it home, you fricken traitors.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm going to be the oddball here, I can feel it.

I have no problem with this. That'll take another look if there is a spike in residential burglary and I'd be a WHOLE different mind if the area that recently released the addresses of permit holders held a barn burner of a buy back program.

However, this isn't that and the amounts they are offering? That's pathetic. This will get the safe queens, garbage Saturday night specials and guns someone has no business owning off the street.

No SERIOUS gun owner would sell a magazine for the amount they're offering here let alone a gun. Those who would? Indeed..do we really want them with guns to begin with? It's not always a bad thing, IMO. (After all, this is voluntary)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Enemies of the 2nd Amendment Surface in Miami

Buying peoples' guns does not equal destroying the second ammendment.

We should be a lot more concerned about the 4th ammendment that was destroyed by George Bush.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The way I see it, ANY federal, state or city gun buy back program is a further attempt to disarm the population. And I'm not having it.

And furthermore, there ought to be legislation passed at all levels of government to make gun buyback programs completely illegal. There is no constitutional mandate for this whatsoever. It goes against every grain of the 2nd. It's more incremental power grabbing, and more incremental subversion of the Constitution. It's BS, is what it is.
edit on Sun Jan 20th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Well that isn't gonna work because if you can find me one Miami Heat fan in the entire state well I bet you could knock me over with a feather if there is one.

They suck so bad, who would...nevermind.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Well, considering this is Miami, it's understandable that they would try to reduce unregistered guns--and thereby reduce crime. While also targeting registered guns, I imagine it's aimed just as much--if not more--at unregistered guns.

While the article say it is targeting "residents," residents who no doubt need guns for protection from the criminal element, i see this aimed more at getting unregistered guns off the streets.

Play to the gang bangers, give them free tickets and junk to get them to give up their weapons, weapons that--while used for their "defense" from retaliation from other criminals, are also likely used in the commission of violent crimes: robberies, etc.

This is Miami, after all. Who's to say, "mama" might decide to turn in "Jose's," whose in a bad element, glock to buy some groceries or something...

Who knows.

For the record, i am ALL FOR keeping and bearing arms. I am NOT for thugs being armed to victimize others (innocent) citizens.

I see this--and that it is--as an effort to disarm the criminals versus the general population.

edit on 20-1-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I respect everyone's opinion on this but the extreme positions being taken by all sides aren't productive or even helpful ..It's turning to SUCH extremes that bridges are burned getting there by both ends. Bridges not so easily replaced after this whole current round of headaches passes. Perhaps that's the point though. If we're at each other, we can't stop and focus on anything higher up.

There are over 270 Million guns in the nation. There isn't much doubt in my mind several million are floating in places they shouldn't be and millions more are the true cheap junk that is almost disposable for the low quality.

If buy backs at reasonable numbers get the crap off the street and get the guns out of the hands of people so simple minded to consider a $50 gift card as a fair trade? Well, I have to wonder, years ago and before the politics hit the firewalls, how objectionable was this?

These programs have been running for year after year for a LONG time now. They're nothing new despite the SUPER-Politics being played with some of them today. Still.... All the sudden, long standing programs are the end of freedom as we know it? There ARE threats, NO question. Seeing EVERYTHING as a dire threat makes us all look like fruit loops though.

Extremes here are doing real damage the more it goes, I think.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Why is it i suspect that any guns handed in will be those who have been sat in a shed for the last 10 years and pretty much rusted solid and given a quick cleanup as its probably more than they'll get for them any other way for the same lump of metal

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Extremes here are doing real damage the more it goes, I think.

The problem we have is extremists are running this Country!

You cant say it isn't so. The so called "Rational people" have let this happen. They have no answer to it, except sit on their hands and debate. Its like a country full of Neville Chamberlain's . I would have to think EVERYONE has at least one extreme view also.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

It's not fair to compare the two sides entirely and say there is equivalency. After all, the gun rights lobby was minding it's own business when some loony tune in CT broke with reality and unleashed a nightmare. No one asked for this...and no one but the extremes of the gun grabber crowd have been pushing this with enthusiasm. So, there isn't a question who drew first blood, so to speak and who KEEPS pushing with all they have.

Having said that..... The response has been to run to the OTHER extreme and now even things considered reasonable for decades are called a bridge too far and deal breaking concepts. No background check for ANYONE? No restrictions for Felons? mental cases? Dishonorable Discharges? These are among the EXTREME ideas I've heard put forth in reaction to the extremes coming from Washington and California's favorite Senator.

One extreme is FEEDING the other though and both are feeding the whole situation higher and higher for tensions. It's getting scary for the way it's gaining a momentum all it's own....and the only ones to BENEFIT are the Politicians far enough above and protected from the population that they'll NEVER suffer anything they're lining US all up for personally.

They'll watch us, as citizens, feed EACH OTHER through the meat grinders while they attend the cocktail party circuit uninterrupted.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I mean seriously, look at what some communities are having to resort to in Dallas, to counter this insanity:

On January 19th, A local Dallas Presbyterian church held a gun buyback program in attempt to “counter” gun violence in America. Since the church was also destroying the guns they were purchasing, in theory, you could argue they are making a safer home. However this Saturday, another group of citizens exercised their right to a much different version of a safe home just across the street from the gun buyback.

Right on the other side of the Stewpot (where the buyback actually took place), gun enthusiasts along with many others just simply seeking protection for themselves and/or their families rallied to counter the Buyback program and were successful in finding new homes for around 50 guns. In America at this time, guns are nearly impossible to obtain or are extremely overpriced due to fear of coming legislation on guns. So, It was very nice to see many new owners and sellers walk away both equally happy. The Stewpot was paying $50 for most guns brought through the door, and up to $200 for “military style” weapons. Across the street, owners were fetching $350-550 for SKS’s and $200-$400 for most handguns. A much more favorable deal for any seller.

Although being reported by media as a “auction”, it was clearly not due to the fact the seller was asked after haggling but before finalizing if they were happy with the price and sure they wanted to sell it, obviously much different than a real auction, and also legal in the State of Texas (which it should be).

wtfrly.com...

Good on them.

So show me the constitutional mandate for government sponsored buyback programs, wrabbit, and I will concede.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I am very pro second amendment, and I have no issues with people using gun buyback programs like this. If people are desperate enough to turn in a firearm for a pair of tickets, then that is their prerogative. When it becomes heavy handed is when I will be against it.

My biggest concern with the gun buyback program is the level of anonymity that is allowed to take place. I think everyone turning in the weapons should be documented and there should be checks to see if the weapons were used in crimes. As it stands this is the ultimate way to make evidence disappear and the cops are the ones making it possible. This is my biggest gripe with the way they are running the buyback programs.
edit on 1/20/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

They'll watch us, as citizens, feed EACH OTHER through the meat grinders while they attend the cocktail party circuit uninterrupted.

The same mentality that was often the case in the French Revolution............

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I mean seriously, look at what some communities are having to resort to in Dallas, to counter this insanity:

On January 19th, A local Dallas Presbyterian church held a gun buyback program in attempt to “counter” gun violence in America. Since the church was also destroying the guns they were purchasing, in theory, you could argue they are making a safer home. However this Saturday, another group of citizens exercised their right to a much different version of a safe home just across the street from the gun buyback.

Right on the other side of the Stewpot (where the buyback actually took place), gun enthusiasts along with many others just simply seeking protection for themselves and/or their families rallied to counter the Buyback program and were successful in finding new homes for around 50 guns. In America at this time, guns are nearly impossible to obtain or are extremely overpriced due to fear of coming legislation on guns. So, It was very nice to see many new owners and sellers walk away both equally happy. The Stewpot was paying $50 for most guns brought through the door, and up to $200 for “military style” weapons. Across the street, owners were fetching $350-550 for SKS’s and $200-$400 for most handguns. A much more favorable deal for any seller.

Although being reported by media as a “auction”, it was clearly not due to the fact the seller was asked after haggling but before finalizing if they were happy with the price and sure they wanted to sell it, obviously much different than a real auction, and also legal in the State of Texas (which it should be).

wtfrly.com...

Good on them.

So show me the constitutional mandate for government sponsored buyback programs, wrabbit, and I will concede.

Wow.

Auctioning SKS and other guns. No telling what kinda of criminal riff-raff could acquire such weapons, without any kind of check.

Was there any kind of check on the buyers, or were these people just selling guns simply as a counter-gesture in-your-face to the buy-backs?

If there's no check at all on the buyers, this is just stupid. Any kind of criminal with the money could win the auction and take home a gun no--or very few--questions asked.

I can understand a family legitimately needing a gun for protection, but to just set up shop at an action for whoever to purchase?

*shakes head*

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Actually I love the cash/basketball tickets/anything for guns programs. Its a choice just like keeping your guns is a choice...hell, let them back 100 million guns for all I care.

The people who bring guns to these events are people most likely better off without guns in the first place. Owning guns is a right, but there is also a level of responsibility attached and many of these people truly lack that, so I think this is a win win for all.

I also have no problem with standing across the street and buying some of these guns for my own collection...I hope a buy back program comes to my neck of the woods, I might walk away with 20...

edit on 20-1-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

SHOW ME THE CONSTITUTIONAL MANDATE.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm not exactly sure where I stand on this issue.

I see the view from both sides, and, I'm a bit torn about it.

While I despise the fact that the tax money being paid is stolen from MY wallet, I also see it as a fairly imaginative way to get low cost, low quality firearms, out of commission. While at the same time, I see their little disarmament game, and, it irks me.

Hell, I even have a couple of next to worthless H&R, .22 LR pocket pistols from the early 1900's. (Inherited from the father-in-law's estate). They aren't even worth the cost to ship'em to any prospective buyer ignorant enough to lay down money for them.

I test fired them ONCE, they work, but there's no way in Hell I'm taking it any further than that.
They're just taking up precious space in my safe.

If one of those buy backs comes here, I'm seriously considering getting some loot for them.
That's where the torn part comes in.

I mean, I could just toss'em into the ocean or something, but, at the same time, I could use a little largesse.
I've been unemployed so long, I gave up looking for work, and, had to go with the early retirement option, which put a significant dent in the monthly payment I get from my pension. My budget is tighter than a gnat's ass.
So, needless to say, I could use the money, (to go buy some ammo).

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Now the private buyback works just fine for me too. Either way, the same end result is reached and that's what I don't have a problem with. People who either have junk that are barely worthy of being called a firearm or people without the good sense to really be armed in the first place ....voluntarily disarm. It's voluntary and that's where it all matters to me.

The alternative here is to say we actually prefer having guns in circulation with people who actually don't WANT them ...as peddling them off for a $50 gift card pretty clearly says to me. It beats them peddling it off to someone they don't know, offering twice that with criminal intent. We're not talking about solid, responsible and sensible gun owners here anyway. None will part with anything worth having for this program ...so it rules out a vast majority of people we'd normally be talking about out the gate.

As far as justification? C'mon... That's kinda silly. This isn't the Federal Government here and that DOES make night/day difference. So is the process and ease to CHANGE the Government at the local level, hence the whole different level of power and options they have. Is it constitutional to enforce traffic laws? How about fishing or hunting regulations? There are uncountable things that would never hold to Federal Constitutional standard done at STATE level and under the 10th. They cannot VIOLATE the Constitution (which these programs don't) but they, as states, don't have to find the power specifically outlined to be able to exercise it.

Think they go to far? That's why we can sue cities and states into Federal court. Checks and Balances...and normally they work well enough.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I leave in Miami, I'm a card carrying member of the NRA, I do not have a problem with this initiative, they are not commanding you to sell your weapon, they are asking you... You will not see me in that line, because I do not wish to sell my weapons.

The best part, is that they are buying the Guns back, no Questions ask... So in some small amount they might get illegally obtain weapons, or weapons belonging to criminals.

I do not see this any different of a Gun Shop saying they will buy your weapon for Heat Tickets...

Neither I feel is a hit to the second amendment.

new topics

top topics

join