It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. To Raise Retirement Age to 70?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I wonder if the government has considered all of the implications and costs of doing this?
Working to 70 or even 80 is great if you are healthy but what about the people who aren`t so healthy?
Most americans are far from specimens of good health, i predict that workers compensation and disability claims will increase at a rate that will wipe out any money that is saved in retirement benefits by forcing people to work to 70. also productivity will drop because older people will miss more time from work due to the inherent health problems that come with aging.speaking of health problems of older workers what will this do to company provided health insurance benefits ? will the premiums increase for all employees? will they just drop health benefits completely for all employees?

This is like throwing a pebble in a pond and expecting it to not create ripples and affect the surrounding water.

personally I think it stinks, we had a contract with the government that we would work until a certain age and then the government would start giving us our money back so we could retire.Now the government wants to unilaterally change the terms of the contract without allowing us to opt out of the new contract and fulfill the terms of the original contract.
if the government wants to renegotiate the terms of the contract then I have a non negotiable change I want added to the contract,starting immediately and henceforth i will not pay anymore social security taxes.
It`s a non negotiable demand if the government doesn`t agree to it then fine we can just continue with the current contract as is.

the people don`t work for the government the government works for the people, in a capitalist system the employee does not get to unilaterally change their employment contract and tell the employer what they have to do.

edit on 20-1-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
You can't tell me that every person that is stuck working isn't legalized slavery, the only difference is this time it has perks

I'd even be willing to bet that they are doing this, 1. you pay more taxes. 2. they don't expect to you live that long, so they save in not paying out as much,

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
You can't tell me that every person that is stuck working isn't legalized slavery, the only difference is this time it has perks

I'd even be willing to bet that they are doing this, 1. you pay more taxes. 2. they don't expect to you live that long, so they save in not paying out as much,

That`s exactly why
The government knows better than anyone that most americans aren`t in good health, even young americans.
By raising the retirement age the government knows that most workers will die before they qualify for retirement benefits, only the wealthy and well- to- do will have good health insurance that will allow them to live long enough to collect retirement benefits.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by jude11

Here's a wacky, novel idea!

As I'm nearing 50 (
) I have never, will never plan on ANY check from the government! I will NOT be shoe-horned into living by what THEY deem appropriate through the money that THEY let me have back!

I'm planning my own retirement and will leave (the workforce) WHEN I want, HOW I want, and live HOW I determine I want to live!

For some reason, I believe in the bunny...

If only more of us were able to not only think this way but actually have the ability to achieve it.

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus

That`s exactly why
The government knows better than anyone that most americans aren`t in good health, even young americans.
By raising the retirement age the government knows that most workers will die before they qualify for retirement benefits, only the wealthy and well- to- do will have good health insurance that will allow them to live long enough to collect retirement benefits.

With the declining health of the population through poor diet and exercise, it's easy to see your point here. Obesity itself is a major factor and it just isn't getting better is it?

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
when SS entry is upped to 70yrs..... the expected life expectancy will be near 95+ years

back in the day... many people died around 45-55 with a retirement at 65-- who seemed unlikely at best to collect any SS $ at all...

if there are ss people stilll smoking/drinking/drugging... with all the health warnings that are more than just mere warnings and are instead DIRE FORECASTS OF ONE'S HEALTH SITUATION with continued use that junk

now there ain't much to do about the processed foods, the growth hormones & steroids in meat products and the GM wheat that permeates all our food products and acts similrly to what MSG does to the unsuspecting consumers hunger senses

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I wonder if the government has considered all of the implications and costs of doing this?
Working to 70 or even 80 is great if you are healthy but what about the people who aren`t so healthy?
Most americans are far from specimens of good health, i predict that workers compensation and disability claims will increase at a rate that will wipe out any money that is saved in retirement benefits by forcing people to work to 70. also productivity will drop because older people will miss more time from work due to the inherent health problems that come with aging.speaking of health problems of older workers what will this do to company provided health insurance benefits ? will the premiums increase for all employees? will they just drop health benefits completely for all employees?

some good points there... but

here's what is the elites roadmap...

the people that make it to 70+ but on disability will be given either home-care or ward-care by another segment of society who were looking for work just months before the legal increasing of SS pension entry.

we are all being played like puppets

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Don't worry about that social security age increase. I predict that most of the people in this country will be dying within the next five years. The ones left won't have social security either because the money was already spent or should I say robbed by the government. Nobody is going to get crap. Many of the upper middle class will be dying first. My cat might survive.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I love hearing about old people being a "drain on the economy".........
Hello, these old people were the economy, while you were in diapers and enjoying school.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
I love hearing about old people being a "drain on the economy".........
Hello, these old people were the economy, while you were in diapers and enjoying school.

I wish I could star this many times...

Older people paved the way with ingenuity, hard work and sacrifice. And are still a valuable source of experience and knowledge.

Don't count them out yet folks...they'll beat you with their cane and you can't even knock out their teeth...ain't got any...

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Right now if you are born 1937 or earlier you can retire at age 65.

Then..slowly from 1938 through 1942 ...retirement is approximately age 65.

If you were born during the years of 1943 thru 1954 the retirement age is 66.

Then...slowly from 1955 thru 1959...retirement is approximately age 66.

If you were born 1960 or later...your retirement age is 67.

Link: www.socialsecurity.gov... (scroll down the page a bit to see the chart)

My question is...if the retirement age is raised to 70; will that only apply to those people born in 1960 and beyond?

EDIT: Here is an article I found that is very interesting and expresses (hypothetically) what may happen if the age is raised to 70...and when; and also how it will effect the disability and medicare programs.

Link: www.ssa.gov...

edit on 20-1-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

That`s exactly why

Exactly. Just as it is now, the rich will continue to collect a disproportionate amount of social security benefits and will still bitch about the poor return they get, all the way to the bank.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Hell, even I wouldn't want to be driving to work on the same road with a 70 year old driving to work! Including myself when I'm 70!

There have always been people who lived long lives and worked. OTOH some of those living longer now are not necessarily fit for work at 70, but attaining that age due to medical procedures not available in the 1930s. I know people who claimed medical disabilities in their 50s, and being in their 60s now couldn't work an 8 hour day.

To all the young people now who wold have to work until 70 ... live like a Mormon ... seriously

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
When that 65 year retirement age was created the average life expectancy was like 60 at best lol. It only makes sense ppl are living on average to like 78, these old ppl are taking all of our money, and soon baby boomers the largest generation EVER in the history of man are reaching their 60s n 70s, billions of ppl who need extra care and retirement funds all at the same time. Every country in the world is facing a huge problem with their generation.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GokuVsSuperman0

Taking our money, or the money they paid into the government?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Life expectancy is not what it used to be with all these chronic diseases and cancers on the rise. It would be lucky to think that we can make it to 60-65 without serious issues let alone working until your 70 years old at a full time pace. It is all ludicrous because in reality we are working at a pace to weaken our immune systems and burn us out. On a normal 5 day work week, there is barely time to recoup, catch up on life duties and have time with family and or personal hobbies to keep the flame alive.

People may be living longer but with how many chronic issues and what is the normal quality of their lives? It is all skewed and there is no norm. However, the rise of illnesses, cancers, auto immune diseases is huge.

The system is essentially designed to cripple us and keep us crippled. In their view who cares if the retirement age is at 70 or 80 they are still killing us slowly and weakening our life force so that there is very little left.

It is all madness and none of us ever really get ahead.............they have also made sure of that.

I think of how much work it takes for me to stay healthy, maintain my home and life while I am working and I'm young, I can't even imagine when I'm 65 years old. Given the way I feel some days I often wonder if I'll make it to 65 let alone 70.

This entire system is designed to make sure the very select have a life while the rest of us struggle to survive spending our life force on ensuring that the minority are well endowed through our labors. We on the other hand have to be happy with little while letting go of the majority of our dreams.

We are enslaved to a monetary system that doesn't even exist and nor is it backed by anything except the paper it is printed on and that folks is the reality of the world we live in. Everything is designed to keep us in that cage and if we ever understood and tapped into that power we have inherently been born with then we would give them something to be afraid about.

However, people prefer to be lambs to the slaughter still believing in a dream that never existed while dying old, alone and empty.

If most of us could be doing what we love then I'm sure none of us would even care to retire but the reality is that more than the majority of the population are not doing what they want or love. Jobs and careers are a means to an end simply to survive in this backwards void of a world.
edit on 20-1-2013 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
When the kids now-a-days will live to be 130+ due to current medical tech.... pushing the age to 70 now isn't such a downer..

As an older gent - the retirement system now is killing our current economy and workforce.

I say work till you drop - which the 65 or so age was supposed to be. Work till you cant and enjoy the fact that the whipper snappers have to wait until 70 to collect...

Retirement was supposed to be when you can't work anymore - not when you wanted to do nothing...

-CN - a person who doesnt mind working until he can't. If that be 70 then so be it - if 75, then let it be (with my cheap arse medical coverage)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I am about tired of the idea that working is all life is about, don't get me
wrong, i enjoy work, however i do not believe life should be all about
work, also i really wish i could just opt out of SS get my money back
and put it in a normal savings acct even........ im so tired of irresponsible
and fiscally challenged people having control of anyones retirement, I
would be so much better off if i could just do it myself, that just makes
me sick.

Not only do i not have a choice, but unless i follow their rules to the
letter then i wont even qualify, if im lucky enough to even live that long
since i already cant afford decent health insurance -.- but to not even
have control of my own money that was taken without me having a
say in it, talk about theft........
edit on 21-1-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I never understood this ass-backwards system we live in.

Raise retirement age to 70? The US is what, $17 trillion in the hole right now...there's going to be MAJOR reforms to this country within the next couple years, the future looks more uncertain every year as well. I'm riding things out the best I can, I'm sure everyone else around my position is doing the same. I'm 21 years old, stressed out as hell about what I'm going to do in the future because I try to plan ahead. College degree...? Bachelor degrees are not what they used to be, anyone who hasn't gotten their bachelors by now will likely need a masters, and by the time they get a masters they will likely need a phd the way things are looking. The banks are stingy with property loans now, but they will gladly give student loans to just about anyone. Just like the housing bubble, the student loan bubble will burst as well, what's going to happen then? And it's all coincidental that the more educated you are, the less likely you are to resort to violence and/or revolt because you will seek a form of peaceful negotiation. Then there's the whole guns thing, I'm hoping the older population instills in us some courage because right now kids 25 and younger are just not the same with education being so rampant amongst our age group. It's scary to think about all this stuff but it's reality

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
No need to worry about any of this. The gubberment is borrowing $5 million + a minute. Soon we'll all be working for next to nothing, and getting nothing in retirement.

These are the facts,

Almost 17 trillion $ in debt.
No plan what so ever to do anything about.
Everything else is insignificant.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join