Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Another "Healthcare" Bailout, This Time in the Fiscal Cliff Deal

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

WASHINGTON — Just two weeks after pleading guilty in a major federal fraud case, Amgen, the world’s largest biotechnology firm, scored a largely unnoticed coup on Capitol Hill: Lawmakers inserted a paragraph into the “fiscal cliff” bill that did not mention the company by name but strongly favored one of its drugs.

Senators Max Baucus, left, and Orrin Hatch, in June at a Finance Committee meeting, have received contributions from Amgen. The language buried in Section 632 of the law delays a set of Medicare price restraints on a class of drugs that includes Sensipar, a lucrative Amgen pill used by kidney dialysis patients.

The provision gives Amgen an additional two years to sell Sensipar without government controls. The news was so welcome that the company’s chief executive quickly relayed it to investment analysts. But it is projected to cost Medicare up to $500 million over that period.

Fiscal Footnote: Big Senate Gift to Drug Maker

We got the Affordable Care Act, the largest corporate bailout in history, making sure that fat insurance companies get even fatter by forcing citizens to give them money and, by extension, bailing out big pharma in the process.

Then we get HSBC not only laundering money for al Qaeda, but also Mexican drug cartels, they get no charges, just a pocket change fine.

Now we have Amgen, who was fined $745 million for fraud, getting back $500 million for their troubles.

"Make them pay their fair share" indeed.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
After all the waivers and exemptions given out over Obamacare in both temp and perm. forms, you almost wonder who is left to follow the whole thing? It seems just us suckers who don't have any special interests to win waivers for.

Isn't being an average citizen supposed to be the ultimate special interest group? I know... Silly of me. That's the old America in our (not so) distant past,

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
After all the waivers and exemptions given out over Obamacare in both temp and perm. forms, you almost wonder who is left to follow the whole thing? It seems just us suckers who don't have any special interests to win waivers for.

Isn't being an average citizen supposed to be the ultimate special interest group? I know... Silly of me. That's the old America in our (not so) distant past,

One would think so, wouldn't they? But since our government long ago became a fascist state, corporations are their best friend. We are just cattle, and our money is their milk.

/TOA

new topics

join