It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wha-ohh. The President swears to preserve, protect, and defend the wrong document.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Relax people, it's just a word.

Just like your guns and bibles, you're clinging to an outdated, unworkable and obsolete document, you place too much faith in it, learn to leave the past where it belongs, lean forward, embrace change, accept the new world agendas, spread the wealth around.

We're not inaugurating a president here, we are crowning a king, worshiping our new savior, he is the ONE!

Bow down and praise him now, join your new fellow citizens of the world.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
That is the problem with Americans.

We have too many stupid people here.

The oath says "the Constitution of the United States." America has never been part of the oath of office.

Too bad ignorance isn't painful.....

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Now that I have looked at Article 2, the end of section 1, I see that the oath, as written in the Constitution, doesn't include the word America.

I still find this to be odd and I wonder why the word America was left out of the oath when the Constitution was written.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

I listened to the Oath of Office for Nixon, Johnson, Clinton, JFK and FDR and the word "America" was absent in the oath. If Obama's is pulling a fast one all these men did, too.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by IndieA

It is understood (by most) that the United States and America are one and the same country.

I really don't think there is a problem here.

I don't know.

If your name was John Smith, is that the same as just John?
Or how about JOHN SMITH, is that the same as John Smith?

How come all legal documents, (birth certificate, social security card, passport, checks, driver's licenses, ect.), always use our names in all CAPS?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by IndieA

I listened to the Oath of Office for Nixon, Johnson, Clinton, JFK and FDR and the word "America" was absent in the oath. If Obama's is pulling a fast one all these men did, too.

I agree.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I suppose in other eras, no president had attempted to destroy the sacred Constitution.

But right now, in this country split in half over many issues, I can understand the OP's concern.

United States could mean many other countries. It is not neccessarily a given. For those whom hold oaths as sacred, it would be sad that either the system or the president do not add in the much toiled name America by forefathers, espacially during these time.

It may be just a word, but it means so much to many who seeks someone to lead honestly, without any ambiguities.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I am too new here to post my own thread, so I am going to ask this here after watch Obama being sworn in.....

Why was the book use during the ceremony COVERED with a book cover-binder? Was it the Bible? The Quaran? Ripley's Believe It or Not?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
You are looking way too far into this. It's almost laughable.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The "United States of America" is also known as (aka) "The United States", "US", "USA" or "America" (even tho there is also North and South America we are the only country with "America" in the name). Call him Barack or Barry he is still the same guy....same for the "US" methinks...so I would hold him to it.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
He did not leave out America. America isn't a part of the oath.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Good grief.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by EternalWatcher
I am too new here to post my own thread, so I am going to ask this here after watch Obama being sworn in.....

Why was the book use during the ceremony COVERED with a book cover-binder? Was it the Bible? The Quaran? Ripley's Believe It or Not?

Interesting. CNN had said it was a Bible from Michelle Obama's family.

After watching the video again, I can see that the book that was used was in some type of covering or case. Maybe a binder, book protector, or maybe it was another book.

I also noticed that the book on the inside looked thin and small. When I think of a family Bible, I picture a larger book.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Thank you! So I'm not just going nuts! LOL

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndieA
I’ve been paying a lot of attention to names and words, and their meanings lately so I couldn’t help but notice that the President left out the “America.”

Looks like the Obama haters are in early - you even claim to have a copy of the constitution, yet you somehow did not even bother to read it,,, just posted a whine not based on any facts at all about Obama.

If you had bothered to actually check the constitution, you would have seen Article Two, Section One, Clause Eight:

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Notice how "America" is not there....

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

Yes, that has been clarified already.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
all i have to say is america im so sorry your failure will lead another 4 years but i did read somewhere that the last american pres will be black before the end of days....

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Jeez...

Well, US or USA or US of A seems as the same thing as Wikipedia states:

In 1777 the Articles of Confederation announced, "The Stile of this Confederacy shall be 'The United States of America'".[20] The short form "United States" is also standard. Other common forms include the "U.S.", the "USA", and "America". Colloquial names include the "U.S. of A." and, internationally, the "States". "Columbia", a name popular in poetry and songs of the late 1700s,[21] derives its origin from Christopher Columbus; it appears in the name "District of Columbia".

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by trekwebmaster

I see.

The fact still remains that the actual title of the constitution is, The Constitution of the United States of America.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Yeah, Biden's oath was longer and broader. What's going on here?

I know... it seems that the vice president (who isn't actually running things) has to not have ulterior motives or reservations, buuut the president is good to go...

They have changed the constitution over the centuries because, they say, times have changed. But that simple oath has not changed one iota. It needs changing most of all. There needs to be some accountability written into it.

"And if I do violate this oath I can be tarred and feathered by the people of this country and run out of town on a rail".

"So help me God".

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Besides who authorized a personal book to be sworn on? A family book no less? Shouldn't it be the same one for all posterity? The same one all the other presidents have sworn on? I guess ultimately it doesn't matter... it's the oath that gets broken every day of their lives.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join