It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colt releases new Marine Corps 1911!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It is called the M45, and boy do I want one!
I really do not know why we ever stopped using these and started using the Beretta. At least our special forces get nothing but the best! Force Recon is spoiled. These will be replacing the Springfields they carry now.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by T4NG0

I wonder what the curb weight is...I love my New Agent for the weight while carrying, but it sure is a recoil beast...A full frame, lightweight 1911 would be awesome!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Did he just say the retail is $1995.00?! Ouch! I'm sure the price isn't because us taxpayers are covering the bill.

It looks like it would be a great handgun but for that price I would first buy 3-4 other name brand handguns all capable of the same thing.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It doesn't look to be full frame to me - or the guy is huge handling it. I fail to see why they re-adopt a pistol and round (.45ACP) they previously disqualified from service. First is the Beretta then came the Sig P226 which was an awesome gun. I guess they need something that costs twice as much?
What he talking about "rail gun" or "stocks" (grips)? Nice pistol I agree but I fail to see what this has over a Kimber or for that matter Springfield XD.

It's all good though - I have a side business that modifies 1911's. This could mean more business, boo yaah!
edit on 20-1-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by T4NG0

I recall reading something about the Beretta being adopted in some sort of deal to get bases in Italy but I'm not sure how legit it is.

I can't believe this thing is $1995. It's pretty much the same thing as my Sig Scorpion, but $700 more. Colt gets away with price shenanigans. I have one of their rifles and admit I bought it in part because it said Colt.

ETA: About the price... Limited production. Annnnd there ya go. Keep your fancy limited production gun and I'll keep my almost identical 1911 with a cooler name and spend the money I saved on ammo.
edit on 20-1-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
There is a psychological comfort in the 1911 that guarantees confidence,It comes when you have to use it and the other guy drops with one shot.My brother swears by it and he is a career LEO in Elco.
I prefer rifles.
edit on 20-1-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: missplled

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
It doesn't look to be full frame to me - or the guy is huge handling it. I fail to see why they re-adopt a pistol and round (.45ACP) they previously disqualified from service. First is the Beretta then came the Sig P226 which was an awesome gun. I guess they need something that costs twice as much?
What he talking about "rail gun" or "stocks" (grips)? Nice pistol I agree but I fail to see what this has over a Kimber or for that matter Springfield XD.

It's all good though - I have a side business that modifies 1911's. This could mean more business, boo yaah!
edit on 20-1-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

Well you just can not beat a .45, it is just a man stopper. On top of that the 1911 is an absolute tack driver, the weight and the shape of the grip make it feel so natural. You are right, why not go with Kimber Warrior, 50% hand built for 1300. But these are civilian prices, the Corps don't pay $2000 just us lol. Yeah I think its a 5" but it looks like a 4"

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It's full size...Look at the rail, and where it stops...In Colt's defense, no pun intended, it is a Colt!
And the Micarta G10 grips do add substantial durability for a price...Plus, if you have never experienced the "feel" of Micarta, do yourself a favor and try them out...The aggressives are WAY TOO MUCH for me, but as an Operator, with gloves on, I can see it. And Cerakote is not cheap, either...

As for Kimbers....Don't get me started on those cast pieces of pretty junk! Kimbers will only be found in history books held up by a Colt 1911 book end, made back in the 1920's and still functioning!

Forged baby! The right way to build a gun....

edit on 1/20/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: added text

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I used to have an original 1911, and the recoil on that sucker was just too much for me to adapt to precision aim and a high percentage of actually hitting my target,

It is a powerful beast though!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Did he just say the retail is $1995.00?! Ouch!

It's cheaper than a Wilson or a Nighthawk...!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

Dude, all the Wilson's at my store are gone! I wanted the CQB so bad, I mean you cant miss, even if you suck at shooting. I didn't know Kimbers were cast. I'll still die before my Warrior takes a crap so, but I agree that forged is better so good call on that. How long do they last? 1,000,000 rds.?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by T4NG0

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

Dude, all the Wilson's at my store are gone! I wanted the CQB so bad, I mean you cant miss, even if you suck at shooting. I didn't know Kimbers were cast. I'll still die before my Warrior takes a crap so, but I agree that forged is better so good call on that. How long do they last? 1,000,000 rds.?

Don't mind me and my Kimber bashing....Actually, the original Kimbers, made in Clackamas, Oregon, were forged, but most of the ones made in Yonkers are cast. They did catch some heat over it, and a few new lines are touted as being forged. But, I suspect that they are following Bill Ruger's investment cast process where they heat treat the castings and call it "forged"....

As for durability and longevity, if you shoot your gun regularly, the BEST thing that you can do for it, is follow the Manufacturer's recommendations for factory Spring overhauls! The recoil spring being the most important, because it absorbs part of the force of the slide as it comes back and slams into the frame. You can also install recoil pads on most 1911s on the spring guide but these have been known to split and cause jamming...Definitely not something you should do to a defense gun...

Class Dismissed!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
for the life of me i cannot understand why the 10mm round isn't used more.

more rounds, more power, and the glock 20 is extremely reliable

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

Did me and you just become best friends?
Thanks dude you are the man!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

You kinda sparked my interest there I had no idea that a 10mm would have better ballistics than a .45!

Dang, should I go shoot one?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by T4NG0

yeah, it's a really accurate round too. 1911 is what? 7+1 glock 20 is 16+1

the ammo is a bit more expensive because it isn't used as much, but it is devastating. i believe it was phased out because it was a bit much for women on the force, the grip was just too big for their hands (though honestly it isn't unreasonable), and there were complaints of "over-penetration", though these are just essentially rumors.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
for the life of me i cannot understand why the 10mm round isn't used more.

more rounds, more power, and the glock 20 is extremely reliable

Cool...So the 10mm round EXPLODES at the 7-8" mark but still remains intact! Awesome....

I'd say someone has altered your graph, but that's just me...

As for the 10mm, it is still a very impressive round, but you must understand. Average people don't examine ballistic gelatin tests. They don't make comparisons about penetration vs. recoil. They rarely consider any of the factors that would benefit or hamper them...

They just buy what the actors in the commercials tell them to, or what the cops and the guys in the movies use!!!!

After Dirty Harry, how many long barreled .44 mags were sold?
After the Matrix, you started seeing Magnum Reasearch Desert Eagles EVERYWHERE!
When LEOs went to the .40 S&W everybody sold their 9's and got a .40!

If the majority of the women in the FBI would have been able to hold and shoot the Glock 20, more accurately, everyone would know about the 10mm and many would own them....But they couldn't, so we don't....

edit on 1/20/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: sp

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Dang dab-bit, those Jarheads get every thing before we do these days....

lol

Actually I am very jealous of those Devil Dogs, and have been since they got their marpat first too. Seems it was over do though, those guys are still using retrofitted Jeeps from Nam.

Any way, I love .45 and really wish it was still the standard.

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
There is a psychological comfort in the 1911 that guarantees confidence,

Not just, my GLOCK 30 gives me that same fuzzy feeling too.
Me thinks it is a .45 thing.

edit on 20-1-2013 by ADVISOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

i've found the recoil is less with the 10mm round than the .45. glocks are exceptionally balanced, so that probably has something to do with it. reacquiring the target isn't any harder.

if you don't believe the test, you can compare the ft/lbs of force. don't get me wrong, the 1911 is a great gun, but i'd rather have more rounds and more power.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

i've found the recoil is less with the 10mm round than the .45. glocks are exceptionally balanced, so that probably has something to do with it. reacquiring the target isn't any harder.

if you don't believe the test, you can compare the ft/lbs of force. don't get me wrong, the 1911 is a great gun, but i'd rather have more rounds and more power.

I'm not contesting the power of the 10mm, I'm saying your chart is hogwash!
NO .40 S&W is going to outperform .357 SIG, and a heavier slower bullet penetrates LESS, not more, in the same cartridge, like in your 9mm comparison....

edit on 1/20/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: added text

top topics

<<   2 >>

join