It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Wonder People Are Staying At Home!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I hear you. There is no theater where I live, but when we did travel and go to a movie six months ago, the final price tag was about $60!!!! WHOA! It has to be a pretty special movie to justify that cost for the two of us.

You know what I miss more than a reasonable theater experience? yah, you guessed it. A drive-in movie. I expect that only dinosaurs like me really appreciate a drive-in. If I ever win the lotto, I'm building one, and I don't care if nobody else comes, but I bet they will.

p.s. get off my lawn!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Welcome to the "Grumpy Old Reptile" Club! Apparently there are several of us around here. Don't forget to bring your own "mosquito coil" to the meetings!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

i stoppped going to the movies, the excitement of getting to the end and find out the movie sucked ass has lost its charm. and 3d anything isnt really enought to get me to want to sit next to complete strangers rambling on about what ever, usualy nothing to do with movie.

also not really a huge movie guy, i hate most major actors and actress' they just suck, are over played, and i hate seeing the same person in 45 different movies, robin williams anyone, leonardo D, tom hanks? ect ect.

also 2 hours of sitting in someone elses butt juice and sticky soda isnt that much of a turn on either at 8-40 dollars before i even buy the candy and soda, screw that
edit on 21-1-2013 by ~widowmaker~ because: ferrets

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I remember back when it was just $5 or $6. Then everything increased, and matinees alone went up to $7.50 and that was just utter bs for me. I haven't been to a movie theater in probably 4 or 5 years, maybe a little longer. Netflix and Hulu is the way to go for me. Don't own cable tv, can't get not even one regular tv station where I live, but the seriously cheap entertainment bill of $20 a month between the Flix and the Hu makes me a happy camper.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
We got a roku a year ago, use redbox and amazon video on demand. I never miss any shows I enjoy watching and the best part of this is not having to pay a huge cable bill for a ton of channels I never watch. We will never go back.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I would suggest you people smuggle in your own refreshments and only go to matinee movies! I never used to buy anything at concession stands when i used to go to movies! However I have not gone to a movie in over a decade but I do remember that the experience in a movie theater is quite different then being home alone!
As one could get caught up with the crowd and be more entertained but to each his own! Good Post OP.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
A trip to the movies for me & the family (wife &3 kids) costs more that a whole year membership the the Philly Zoo for the family. A whole year of free admission plus premium parking vs. 2 hours in a dark theatre.

We still go from time to time but, the money could be spent a whole lot more wisely. Only the really good movies merit a family trip to the movies and they are becoming few and far in between.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Where I live, our local movie theatre only charges $4 a person and $1 for any candy, drink, etc. But they only show one movie at a time and it is a small place. But if we want to see a movie that isn't playing here, we go to the city. If it weren't for my room mate being a former employee at this city theatre, we would be paying at least $10 a person and another $10 a person for a small drink and small popcorn. As someone who comes from a family of 5, room mate included, the price really goes up.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nosacrificenofreedom

I'm a pro at smuggling in candy in my tiny purse. I once brought in a bag of gumballs, candy sticks, pop rocks, and gobstoppers all in a Chinese takeout container hidden in my purse. It made The Avengers that much better!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I agree it is outrageous, but the fault seems to lie with those who "rent" the movies to the theaters. Think about what actors and sports stars make a year, or for one movie. Why on earth have we allowed things to get like this? If that is capitalism, then capitalism is inherently wrong from a moral standpoint. How can anyone justify having more money than they will ever need while there are people literally dying of starvation in the same country, likely just miles away?

These people provide no benefit to society, yet they make more than those who do make a difference...People like the educators, and those who actually do something important. Making a movie is not important, and it only provides entertainment, just like sports. It is sickening to think about really, how commercialized everything has become. The music industry is probably the worst. It is virtually impossible for good bands to get a record deal, and with the RIAA you only have the handful of performers chosen by those who run the industry.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I've been to a theater to see a movie maybe twice in the last 5 years. I have a 42" LCD in my bedroom and I have no desire to watch something with a giant herd of people. When I could be splayed out on the queen sized in my sweats with my hair in a bun? Please.

If I can't get it on-demand, netflix, or dvr I could care less about it. I like being entertained as much as the next human, but have no desire to go broke so the theater can make a profit, and I have little but contempt for an industry that glorifies and deifies people who pretend for a living.
edit on 1/22/13 by Malynn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I don't go to the movies because people won't STFU! Gawd, I hate that!

Last time was about thirty years ago. I told the wife that if this didn't turn out to be an enjoyable evening I was going to buy a VCR (back then the cost was $500) and never go to the movies again.

Pack up the two kids and the wife, and off we go. On the way, in the rear view mirror I saw a drunk driver come out of a side street. He swerved onto the sidewalk and made it back onto the road behind us. I had to race to get far enough away so this guy wouldn't rear-end us.

Then we stopped at Burger King and the order came out totally wrong.

In the movie theater there was this guy with two women, and they wouldn't shut up, to the point where a bunch of people were yelling at them.

Next day we had a VCR.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

It ain't cheap to live single, sister. That's half the income of most households. Wake up.

I don't go to the theater at all. In the comfort of my home I can eat a meal, pause for the bathroom and go to bed if I get too tired to finish. The DVD will still be there.

I control the volume. The picture is also better. Have you noticed how crappy films look now? They're low resolution and blurry.

Anyone who goes to the theater is getting ripped off. Big time.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join