It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Wonder People Are Staying At Home!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

I usually do stay home to watch movies, but really wanted to try one of the newer 3D movies out. We were the ONLY people in the theater which to me is very telling. When the movie was over and we were exiting we expected to see a lot more people entering and exiting the other theaters (multi-plex) but were surprised to only see three other people who weren't employees. I guess a movie at the theater on Saturday night isn't as popular as it used to be- I believe cost being a major factor!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

That's $52 not counting gas

We went to the one by Parkdale Mall and spent around $75

omuch money If me and my GF goes it easily cost us $50 and

I went in Melbourne it was $15 a ticket

4 of us with snacks is about $70.

support $$ for the elite

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I'm surprised at how cheap the movies are over there, in Aus we pay between $13 and $20 to see a movie at the cinema, I haven't been in years. And it is more expensive in rural areas than in urban.

edit: Just beat you to it AthlonSavage

I want to ask something: "what is it with you Amricans and popcorn at the movies???? Why do you HAVE to have popcorn"? - just curious. We got popcorn at the movies here too but it isnt that important, every sitcom I watch has the words popcorn and movies mentioned in the same line (except Seinfeld I think), is this product placement?
edit on 21/1/13 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   

You Guys/Gals have everything very cheap compared to rest of world. Standard cost for movie ticket in Australia is 16-20 dollars.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I don't go to the movies very often anymore either because of the price. The only one I've seen this year was The Hobbit, I'm a huge Tolkien fan, and love the new 3d. Before that? Avatar, The Last Airbender, The Hangover, and Fast Five were the last ones I'd seen in theaters, the last two mainly because I went with a group of friends. I remember when $6.00 was expensive for a ticket (for me) When we saw The Hobbit, it was $10.50, I think some of that was because of the new film process they used, and that it was 3d. But still, that's a lot to see a movie, not to mention the price of the essetials, aka Dr. Pepper, Popcorn, and Raisonettes, lol.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
And they wonder why people illigally download movies and watch them at home?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

I can understand how a night out for 3 (or day) for $52 can seem expensive (and yes, that is one heck of a bargain compared to urban pricing), but if you compare it to other forms of entertainment, is it really that bad? 3 hours of bowling with snacks and beverages would probably be similar price, maybe a bit less. Dinner at a low-middle restaurant like Friday's or Chili's would probably run about $75 for 3. But yeah, the prices have gone up over time, but I just don't think it's that bad. Sure, IMAX is extra, 3D is extra, etc., but for most people, it really is one of the cheapest forms of "night-out" occasional entertainment available. You just need to put it in perspective with other things.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

I think that the price of entertainment accross the board is overpriced. It always has been to be honest but in the past people haven't had to count their pennies so closely as they do today, so they have started to notice how inflated these prices actually are. When you compare these prices to that of a grocery shop, like somebody compared earlier, then you really start to see how much you are actually being ripped off.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

double post.
edit on 21-1-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

It does cost too much now... I agree!

I'/m in London so you can guess the costs.... or maybe not.... well, i'll tell you that in central London it costs from £10 - £17.50 entrance fee and I'm not sure about Popcorn as I dont eat anything when I go.... however just a bottle of water is something like £2.50. Now just out of central London it costs from £6.50 to £10 entrance fee depending on the time and day you go...

What my mind was telling me the last time I went was... If Cinemas reduced their Entrance Fees then they would get more people going to the Cinemas to watch on big screen... doesn't really take a genius to work out that as a Business, you would actually make more cash by getting more people to the Cinema if costs are lowered! Same as any Business really.... you lower the costs from the store across the street, you will gain the customers that went to that other store!

Anyway, last Film I went to see was James Bond's Skyfall.... some Films just need to be seen on the big screen!!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Popcorn in the UK cinemas generally start from £3.50 a box upwards depending on size. The Pick 'n' mix is way off the chart though. I rarely go to the cinema's, litterally because it is just too damn expensive and the reality is that most films these days you end up being disappointed with anyways.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Agreed...Im off a lot during the weekdays while my wife works...so I sneak in and watch movies when the theartre opens....and of course its much cheaper during the day...and I sneak in any snacks I want but that is rare since im only in for about 2 hrs. No kids yet so I can get away with this for now haha...

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Besides the cost, I've become a homebody in the past several years. It's just more comfortable to watch movies at home. I would actually feel stressed if I thought I had to actually get out and go to a theater.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
From a theatre owner’s prospective

Most post’s are accurate as to the prices , the blame rest solely on the movie companies , The concession revenue is what keeps the doors open . I can tell you in 9 months I have not had a paycheck . One fact I can say is the MC don’t dictate how much the ticket price is, however if you don’t pay them enough they will not give you the movies to play . That = no business . So you have to charge . I would sell the theatre in a NY heartbeat , And I’m not even touching on the digital conversion at a cost of $45,000. per auditorium .

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

I'm not really sure what the big deal is about the popcorn. I got a small one for my daughter and her friend to share, but personally I don't eat it very often- it gets stuck in my teeth! My guess would be that it's a snack that the movie theater can make a good bit of profit on because if you get some at a regular store it costs around $! but a small bag at the theater costs $4.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

You Guys/Gals have everything very cheap compared to rest of world. Standard cost for movie ticket in Australia is 16-20 dollars.

Just looking at the dollar amounts one might consider that to be true, however the cost of living and pay scales differ from not only state to state but from area to area as well- so I imagine it also differs in among countries. It is cheaper to live in my neck of the woods than a lot of the rest of the US- but the pay scales are lower as well, so it evens out.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

The last movie I went to see at the theater before this instance was the Star Trek remake- so imagine my "sticker shock"!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

For me spending that kind of money on entertainment or dining out is a luxury. I can't in good conscience spend money so frivilously on a regular basis. We only dine out about once or twice a year anymore and we don't bowl or play pool anymore as money is tight, and I'd rather spend it stocking the pantry or paying a bill a month ahead.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I agree! Lowering the entrance fee would definitely get more people in the door. I'm sure if it had cost less to get in there surely would have been more than three people (namely us) in the theater. As someone had mentioned the theater makes most of it's money on concessions- makes sense that they would sell more snacks and drinks by lowering the admission price to draw in bigger crowds.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I wasn't disappointed in the picture, but the cost will keep me from returning! It is cheaper to wait until the movie comes out on DVD and rent (or buy) it and make snacks at home.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join