It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Touch My Kids Unless I Tell You To!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

How is he a bad dentist? He did what needed to be done. Had he done any LESS, then he would be a bad dentist. Had he put the white veneer on and charged full price, I'm sure the family's insurance company would raise an eyebrow to such an expensive procedure for a child.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

How is he a bad dentist? He did what needed to be done. Had he done any LESS, then he would be a bad dentist. Had he put the white veneer on and charged full price, I'm sure the family's insurance company would raise an eyebrow to such an expensive procedure for a child.

A good dentist would have talked with the mom first, to tell her what he wanted to do and why it was necessary. A good dentist would have worked with the mom to figure out the best solution for them. If the mom said she didn't want this procedure done after having it all explained to her, then a good dentist would honor the mom's decision.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I do think the Dentist could have run it by the parents before he started the procedure, but it makes sense as to why it was done. I would be mad if someone did something to my children that I was not able to consent for (And I am not talking about major emergency situations, like one poster said "Bike accident - ER") but I would never sue or attempt to sue over the situation. I have no respect for people who "sue".

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
I can understand if this procedure was necessary if there was a medical reason, HOWEVER, there is no reason that the dentist couldn't have called the mom back in to let her know what he wanted to do and why - and give the mom a choice on whether to do the recommended procedure, and/or whether to put veneers on the front teeth for appearance sake. This was simply a bad dentist.

I'm hesitant to give this mother the benefit of the doubt and just throw the dentist under the bus. It's an incredibly one sided story. We have a woman saying that she was not informed, but that doesn't mean she wasn't in fact informed and just too stupid to realize what was going to happen.

I also take issue with their expert just looking at pictures and stating as fact that it was medically necessary. How can you possibly tell when the teeth are all capped, you can't see the state of enamel before etc...

I think this is just a BS story to get ratings and anyone taking it too seriously needs to stop. There really is hardly any information at all.

Now if everything is exactly as presented by the mother (which I HIGHLY doubt) I can certainly see why she would be fuming. I think at the very worst this was poor communication. If this was legit this woman would have retained a lawyer, been informed not to talk to the media and sued.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I addressed this with my first reply to this thread. When she said "Fill these cavities", that's what he did. There's nothing abnormal with the work performed by the dentist. It sucks you're having your heart strings tugged by one woman's ignorance.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I addressed this with my first reply to this thread. When she said "Fill these cavities", that's what he did. There's nothing abnormal with the work performed by the dentist. It sucks you're having your heart strings tugged by one woman's ignorance.

Nothing abnormal about having a mouthful of silver teeth?!?? Other than "Jaws" in the James Bond movies, and some gang members, how many little white girls do you see with nothing but silver teeth in their mouth?
When I was a kid, I had cavities, but I never had all my teeth covered in silver. They only filled the cavities I had, and didn't touch the other teeth.

To Domo - you are right, it's possible that the dentist may have said something like, "I want to cap her teeth to avoid future cavities", and she may have thought it meant white caps. I still think a good dentist would have been very clear that the girl would look like Jaws from the James Bond movies.

ETA: why any dentist would assume a mother would be okay with this, I have no idea...

edit on 20-1-2013 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Here is my best guess.

Mom: 'Fix the cavities.'

Dentist: 'OK.'

Dentist: 'The teeth are so bad we are going to have to put silver caps on all of them.'

Mom: 'OK go ahead and do it.' Not realizing by all of them he meant ALL of them, not just the four with cavities.

Either way we only have one side of the story. On a positive note after trying to spell cavities (oh WOW I just messed it up again) about a hundred times I think I will actually remember now.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I completely agree, jiggerj. In fact, at my child's dentist, anytime they are going to do any procedure, they take the parent aside, explain what is to be done, what type of anesthesia will be used and get signed consent. It seems that this dentist may have been a lax in these areas.

BT

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

1. Your mouth isn't her mouth.
2. In the video, it said the decay was spreading.
3. It doesn't matter anyway, she got white veneer placed for free. HOW MANY OTHER PATIENTS WERE GIVEN THIS OPTION???

The dentist did his job and well. Only the willfully ignorant would think otherwise at this point.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Here is my best guess.

Mom: 'Fix the cavities.'

Dentist: 'OK.'

Dentist: 'The teeth are so bad we are going to have to put silver caps on all of them.'

Mom: 'OK go ahead and do it.' Not realizing by all of them he meant ALL of them, not just the four with cavities.

Either way we only have one side of the story. On a positive note after trying to spell cavities (oh WOW I just messed it up again) about a hundred times I think I will actually remember now.

I guess. I still wonder why a dentist would recommend making a little girl look like Jaws. Most dentists are all about aesthetics. Unless she's lying about the whole incident. Maybe he offered to put veneers over the silver and she refused, thinking she could go to the press and scream bloody murder so some other dentist would offer to put veneers for free. Seems a little far-fetched to me, but.... ya never know.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Maybe the insurance didn't cover what's considered cosmetics (white veneer).

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

1. Your mouth isn't her mouth.
2. In the video, it said the decay was spreading.
3. It doesn't matter anyway, she got white veneer placed for free. HOW MANY OTHER PATIENTS WERE GIVEN THIS OPTION???

The dentist did his job and well. Only the willfully ignorant would think otherwise at this point.

Willfully ignorant? Okay, whatever. Name-calling doesn't help your argument. The veneer wasn't put on for free by the original dentist. He should have done it when he saw how unhappy she was with all the silver, but he didn't. At least a good dentist stepped in and did the work the original dentist should have done. Methinks she will be going to the good dentist from here on out.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

"Willfully ignorant" describes your behavior. It's not a name. I think I see what the problem is here.

You have some nerve to assume that this little girl deserves expensive dental cosmetics for free, just so she can feel better. Really think about what you're saying.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
My cousin had to have this when he was about 3 yrs old because his dumbass mother would put coca cola and sweet tea in his bottle.
He had a bad case though, there were so many tiny holes in pretty much every tooth, it was either that or pull them.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Originally posted by haven123
if she taught her daughter to properly care for her teeth there would have been no issue
Probably gonna win the "Dumbest Post of the Week" for the Above Quote.

No, The Thread is about Abuse of Power, Thats it.

How would you Like it Haven, if you took your car to the Mechanics to have your Oil changed.
And He decided you needed New Brakes, and a New Exhaust ?

ahh, but that isn't a correct analogy. the mother came to the dentist seeking treatment for her daughter and gave permission. the dentist wasn't trying to cheat her out of money by fixing something that wasn't broken. her daughter genuinely needed crowns.

sounds like the mother is trying to get the service done free.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BearTruth
reply to post by haven123

Just FYI, there is a dental condition called soft enamel. It leaves the enamel porous and susceptible to the bacteria that causes cavities. When a child has this condition, cute baby teeth are horribly subject to decay. Regular brushing and flossing may not be enough. Innocuous things like juice and milk, hasten the decay and the teeth quickly crumble.

Often, in these cases, the only way to protect the tooth buds growing beneath the baby teeth, is to cap them. Although parents may feel they have failed their children, or others may think they have done so, it is the condition that causes the problem. The only way to guard against further decay in this situation, besides or in addition to the capping, is frequent brushing, brushing after every drink or food item, and use of antiplaque rinses.

How do I know this? I am one of those parents who did everything right by the book with her child, and he still suffered from the condition, it is hereditary.

i hope this info helps others understand, it is not necessarily neglect that causes dental problems.

BT

I was born with this, My baby teeth had no enamel and came in soft, you could push them back and forth, back then all they could do was pull them, my adult teeth are almost all crowned because of bad enamel. It sucks.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Only on ATS could we start an argument about some kids teeth…..

I have to ask why do any of us even care.....

in a few years or even moths this little girl wont even care.....

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

I truly feel your pain. I am hoping they can come up with something to mitigate the effects of this disorder. My son was fortunate in that we were able to catch it when he was about 2 1/2. Although he has worn caps all thru grade school, he is about to lose the last one. At his last check up, no cavities!

The point of this thread, as i understand it is to highlight the parents dissatisfaction with the extent of the procedures. If the event proceded as she said, then there was a definite lack of communication. But my take on the end result was that the dentist thought he was properly caring for the child's teeth. I know I would have been angry if it was done without my knowledge, but with proper explanation I chose the procedure.

As an aside, it was also generous of the outside dentist who offered white veneers for the little girl. Hopefully that will help her be more comfortable with the caps.

BT

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

She is lying you can hear it in her voice. Notice how the tonality of her voice goes up and she claims she didnt want this. You have to sign off on the dental work that is done. No denstist spends hours doing something he/she doesnt need to and doesnt get paid for.

If she didnt agree to the teeth being capped then she has a lawsuit.

Obviously she agreed to have the teeth capped or they wouldnt be capped. DUH!
edit on 20-1-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
At 0.58 in the video when the mother is talking about what her daughter says to her "every single day" about not liking her teeth, she looks centre right in a quick sweeping motion and flutters her lids several times - that is a sign of auditory construction - i.e. making up sounds in your head.

I'm not calling her a liar, because I don't have enough evidence, all I'm saying is that one of the signs is there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join