It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sydney - The failure of gun control in Aus?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

America, take note that banning guns does not stop those that wish to possess them!
reply to post by Sovaka

Indeed, law abiding people and criminals alike. In that respect the massive gun crime of the US is somewhat of an enigma...

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Morg234

The majority of gun crime in the US is directly related to gang/drug crime and in areas where guns are restricted (like New York and Chicago). End the war on drugs and all violence would drop. But see that can't be the problem. That makes too much sense.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The gun debate around the world is a giant machine that no propaganda can stop... its just too widespread and too many criminals have their hands on them. They are disarming the people to see how easy it can be to infringe on peaceful humans

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Put the loaded gun on a table. Don't touch it. It will NEVER fire on its own. Add a human, pull the trigger and it goes off. Reality is that the gun can not kill with out help from a person or power to pull the trigger. There are 10's of thousands more deaths reported per year due to drunk drivers then guns. I don't hear you squawking to remove vehicles? Perhaps that would interfere with your life style? Your solution is probably to make stricter laws on drunk driving. We would like to make stricter laws on mental illness and criminals.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
MASSIVE FAIL ON ALL LEVELS.....

1. All this did was punish honest licensed fireman owners by forcing them to hand in there guns. In some instances these were vintage WW2 .303 rifles handed down from father to son

2. Any other Aussie's here remember the gun amnesty in 1996?. After all the law abiding gun owners had handed there weapons in, the warehouse where they were stockpiled was raid by criminals

3. Just last night there was 2 more shootings in Sydney. Living in Sydney there is not a day that goes by where I don't read about a shooting in the Sydney's South West

Massive waste of time and our tax $$$$$

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Martin Bryant was set up, this is a video from a town meeting after the Port Arthur massacre, wendy scurr was the first person into the broad arrow cafe after the pt arthur massacre, she has a completely different story to tell from the mainstream media , the police and the federal and state governments, find out just how much disinformation and myths have been created around the pre planned pt arthur massacre ,if you watch this film with an open mind you will never be the same again period. also go to the NEXUS magazine website and download from the their archives section a brilliant 3 part series of articles in PDF format on the event time to take the red pill and wake up to what's really going on in our world.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by helium3
MASSIVE FAIL ON ALL LEVELS.....

1. All this did was punish honest licensed fireman owners by forcing them to hand in there guns. In some instances these were vintage WW2 .303 rifles handed down from father to son

2. Any other Aussie's here remember the gun amnesty in 1996?. After all the law abiding gun owners had handed there weapons in, the warehouse where they were stockpiled was raid by criminals

3. Just last night there was 2 more shootings in Sydney. Living in Sydney there is not a day that goes by where I don't read about a shooting in the Sydney's South West

Massive waste of time and our tax $$$$$

Indeed.

They push the glamourised Hollywood gun culture, then make out like those who enjoy popping a few rounds off at a paper or steel target or those shooters who actually contribute to society by culling environmentally-damaging feral animals are somehow potential mass murderers and must be treated as such.

Meanwhile, that same glamourised Hollywood gun culture which is so prevalent on our TV and cinema screens has spawned a generation of organised criminals in Sydney's west/south west for whom the laws don't matter and police-grade weapons are a status symbol.

It's like gun crimes in Sydney are reported only grudgingly by the security forces in NSW - to have very public media campaigns against these illegally-obtained and possessed firearms which are flooding Sydney's streets would be a tacit admission that these "laws we had to have" don't work. The fact they don't work is demonstrated by the many hundreds of firearms-related crimes in Sydney alone during a given year. It seems to me that the .gov is happy to have its citizenry disarmed, but does little to address the issue of criminals owning deadly weapons unlawfully and then USING them against other human beings.

OMG, the Emperor is wearing no clothes.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
They do not want your stinking guns! they want those evil boomerangs! After all 1 5 people have dangerous boomerangs ascendents ever year. Kidding No they really just want your guns.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Sydney Telegraph

SYDNEY'S epidemic of gun violence continued last night when a man was shot in south west Sydney.

A 31-year-old man was shot in the leg while walking near the intersection of Acacia Avenue and Napoleon Road, Greenacre about 1am. The victim was rushed to Liverpool Hospital in a stable condition. Police setup a crime scene and closed a portion of both streets while forensic officers attended. Detectives spoke to locals on Napoleon Street, but are yet to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

In a separate incident, a 19-year-old man told police he saw a gun fired out the window of a moving car on Balanada Avenue, Chipping Norton about 11.15pm. The alleged gunman was hanging out the window of a red/maroon 2002 model Ford Falcon sedan. Police setup a crime scene, but are yet to find signs of a spent casing or bullet hole.

They will search the area again today during daylight hours.

Right on cue. There are some idiots in our country.
edit on 21-1-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

No matter where you go on earth there will be crimes its that simple. That being said its how Australia Government manages there resources to combat those crimes example....

At least once a week I see 6 uniform cops, 2 sets of detectives and a K9 unit (all at once) at Sydenham station on the walkway bridge shaking down passengers. Is that not a wee bit excessive?, not to mention a complete waste of resources?. Could those Police officers directed into catching gun crime or at-least violent crimes?.

Trust me if there was a 15 year minimum mandatory sentence for being in the possession of a unlicensed firearm it would make these idiots think twice about there actions. Until then if you live near Banktowns/St Marrys just make sure your front windows are bullet proof

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by helium3

We have the same down here. They were meant to stop the bashings etc happening at the stations but by the sounds of it, the Vic government are going to turn this into a revenue grab.

23/2/2012 -This week the state government deployed the first of its 940 protective services officers, or PSOs. To be clear, these are pretend police, armed with semi-automatic weapons, who will roam railway stations at night. To make us all safer.

OK. Take everyones semi-automatics and start arming pretend police with them to monitor the train stations. All we need now is mass lineups and death camps

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by InhaleExhale
Sorry but you must live in fairytale Victoria.

I thought armed guards with Semi Automatics was a fairytale also but guess what, they are coming to a train station near you in future. We already know that..

They aren't a problem because as you have shown its whats broadcast on TV and reported in papers is what you assume is all that's happening which is incorrect, many incidents are keep away from the public for numerous reasons.

Of course they dont account for most of the regional incidents. We had one about 15kn from where I live last week where a person fired rounds at paramedics. It didn't make the national news. I can only guess how many other times that happens. Now that wasn't bikie gang related. that was just some random twat.

A month or so ago in the other town 30km away some idiot decided to do a driveby shooting with a shotgun.. It happens everywhere and it may get reported in the local news but not on a national scale. But there was also another incident involving a knife.. A woman stabbed a 70 year old to death because he wouldn't give her a cigarette.. Give any idiot any type of weapon and they will kill.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by helium3

We have the same down here. They were meant to stop the bashings etc happening at the stations but by the sounds of it, the Vic government are going to turn this into a revenue grab.

23/2/2012 -This week the state government deployed the first of its 940 protective services officers, or PSOs. To be clear, these are pretend police, armed with semi-automatic weapons, who will roam railway stations at night. To make us all safer.

OK. Take everyones semi-automatics and start arming pretend police with them to monitor the train stations. All we need now is mass lineups and death camps

Let's not get dramatic,

I cannot see death camps in Oz anytime soon. After all the current government struggles handing refugees :lol

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Sorry but you must live in fairytale Victoria.

I thought armed guards with Semi Automatics was a fairytale also but guess what, they are coming to a train station near you in future. We already know that..

They aren't a problem because as you have shown its whats broadcast on TV and reported in papers is what you assume is all that's happening which is incorrect, many incidents are keep away from the public for numerous reasons.

Of course they dont account for most of the regional incidents. We had one about 15kn from where I live last week where a person fired rounds at paramedics. It didn't make the national news. I can only guess how many other times that happens. Now that wasn't bikie gang related. that was just some random twat.

A month or so ago in the other town 30km away some idiot decided to do a driveby shooting with a shotgun.. It happens everywhere and it may get reported in the local news but not on a national scale. But there was also another incident involving a knife.. A woman stabbed a 70 year old to death because he wouldn't give her a cigarette.. Give any idiot any type of weapon and they will kill.

OK so it seems as though you understand how the media aren't there to report news but to manipulate public opinion.

Is this thread sort of saying that gun restrictions and laws are just, lets call it a placebo for the majority of public to feel safer, with incidents being kept out of the media unless there is too much public involvement to hide and the issue isn't being medicated properly with the placebo being offered?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

OK so it seems as though you understand how the media aren't there to report news but to manipulate public opinion.

The local media will report the incidents, it may even go towards the stats at the end of the year but from what I'm seeing, guns issues are becoming a problem again.

Is this thread sort of saying that gun restrictions and laws are just, lets call it a placebo for the majority of public to feel safer, with incidents being kept out of the media unless there is too much public involvement to hide and the issue isn't being medicated properly with the placebo being offered?

Well I dont know about just, one guy screwed the whole show for everyone apparently. Its hard to tell because people aren't to worried about it.. Its not about people worrying, its just I have noticed gun incidents dramatically rising over the last couple of years and Sydney is a hotspot right now even though most of it is gang related.. It will be interesting to see the figures. For some reason, I can only get up until Feb 2011 for now.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by helium3

haha yeah, the asylum seekers keeping the detention centres full for now, keep coming people

<< 1  2  3   >>

join