It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sydney - The failure of gun control in Aus?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Are all of them committed by Lebenese bikies? But anyway, those drive by shootings are wreckless.. How do they know they are not firing into an innocents home? I understand that these are crime gangs but they are still shootings. Same on the Gold Coast in shopping centres, same as the Gangland in Vic, same as the bloke who just caught his missus cheating and decided to waste her..

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
I'm not blaming guns, I was just pointing out that maybe Sydney is becoming a good example that gun control isn't as effective as its made out to be.

So the answer to a recent increase in perceived gun violence, to you, is free reign on guns. No control.

Because that will simply make everything better!

More guns = less violence only when gun control is in effect.

I think you're right. I must have been utterly confused. I will also now start putting sugar down instead of ant rid, and mouse traps - the mice will go away if I remove them.

I have been living in backwardo lando!! blimey.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
reply to post by SpearMint

Probably the most important thing to consider is, like you and me, people do not like being told what is or isn't good for them.

".. he says putting his hand back into a fire."

No telling some people. If the common sense aint there, then it's never going to be.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot
Okay, so Australia isn't utopia, we have a global economy and some people are both criminals and good craftsfolk.

Are you saying that America has solved its gang problem with its gun culture and God-given right to pack heat?

I'm not saying I support gun control but what kind of case are you trying to build?

Has this link Faking waves: how the NRA and pro-gun Americans abuse Australian crime stats been posted yet? This report is a collaboration of Australian major university and research facilities; made in direct response to the deceptive use of statistics by Americans who want to prove their bias.

It starts

The Sandy Hook massacre and President Obama’s response to it has refocused attention on impact of regulation on American gun crime. Crime statistics before and after the implementation of gun laws provide a quantifiable measure of their impact. As a consequence, Australia’s gun laws and their impact have become part of the American gun debate.

Australia is more of a utopia now after gun control as the figures prove, and where things have declined we see drugs and alcohol not guns.

There is nothing more to this story. The Australian example proves that gun restrictions work as intended.

As far as America's criminals being left with all the guns, there is no proof for this idea. What I can't understand is that Canadians don't have the same problems when it can't be hard to get hold of an illegal weapon in America and bring it across the border. Is there another argument? "Criminals will always be able to get weapons"...

As for the 2nd amendment. Looking at actual statistics in America I don't think it's been handled well.

Disarming the criminals seems to be the stumbling block, no? Where is the research?
edit on 20-1-2013 by bowtomonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
So the answer to a recent increase in perceived gun violence, to you, is free reign on guns. No control.

Where did I give an answer to the problem? I didn't ban guns, I'm just pointing something out.

Because that will simply make everything better!

Well iron bars and knives kill people also, maybe we should ban cast iron and stainless steel.

More guns = less violence only when gun control is in effect.

So we have one incident in the 90's where a madman uses a semi automatic rifle and we expect gun crime to go away? With that, the entire scenario reeks of psy op...

I think you're right. I must have been utterly confused. I will also now start putting sugar down instead of ant rid, and mouse traps - the mice will go away if I remove them.

Mice and ans don't have anything to do with guns but if you feel the need to experiment, knock yourself out lol

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

a common conversion is modifying a flare gun to fire shotgun rounds, a guy got murdered with one near my place about a year ago. But obtaining illegal firearms is easy if you ask around to the right people. i had a mate by an SKS assault rifle for $500. and there are a million sawn offs around, but its not too hard to get a handgun now through the middle eastern crime syndicates in Sydney

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Even though guns are controlled here they are still pretty easy to get a hold of if you know who to talk to. In high school I knew a couple guys that I could buy guns off of as well as all sorts of other things, and this was not a "bad" school.

I'm currently living in Sydney and there has been a rise in shootings that have occurred. Though many are still gang related, and the normal person who is in no way caught up in the gangs has little chance of getting shot, especially compared to most other countries.

I do think the police are getting more confident in their guns though and have been seeing more police firing their guns and it resulting in death.
edit on 20-1-2013 by ssophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ssophia

I would say that there are far more guns on the street in Australia then ever before and the reason is that young Australians are keen to keep up with the foreign gangs and take a risk buying guns from Americans.

Since the GFC the Australian dollar has rocketed to above parity with the USD so Australians are getting better deals O/S than at home. The rise in internet buying in Australia is phenomenal.

It's no surprise that people are buying guns when they are used to buying things off ebay to be fedex'ed into Australia. That stuff is never checked and with millions of packages a day, nobody with a bit of common sense is too worried about being caught importing a gun.

I'd say there are far more guns on the street in Australia than what we are led to believe. The fact it is highly illegal, is what keeps us safe ... for now ...

I wouldn't want to be in America's position. It sounds just like the old fable "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly".

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
If laws worked we wouldnt have 34,000,000 speeding tickets wrote each year. We wouldnt have 715,373 cars stolen, We wouldnt have 83,425 rapes, We wouldnt have 6,159,795 larceny thefts. My point is that more laws are not going to change anything. I worked with a felon who was not supposed to have the ability to legally owne firearms. One day at work we were debating gun laws and I asked him if he wanted to get a gun tonight could he. And he said he could get one in about 30 minutes. How is that possible? He's a felon. Oh wait, thats right, criminals don't obey laws.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WesternIowaParanormal

Its no different here. I had a mate who is now in custody who could get me a gun within 10 minutes of ringing him. My brother in law at the time had illegal firearms and also gave me a handgun which was eventually given back to him. Guns are easy to get if you really want one, even ten..

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bowtomonkey

Yes I agree there are a lot more guns on the street in Australia than people realise. They are easy to obtain and all the young guys think they are "Cool",

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kepala

Just the other day some fool professor commented that all of the semi autos that were taken off the australian landscape have been replaced with single shots which are legal. Well the MSM trumpeted that our gun problem is as bad as ever all of the guns are back on the streets even though those very guns are legal single shots. Thankfully no one gave a s@it. Just sensationalism and hyperbole from our press titutes.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

wow and I thought nothing bad ever happened in oz. captain beno you are a liar

snf
edit on 21-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Yeah, those restrictive weapons laws worked really well.

Just like the laws outlawing cannabis, ecstasy, heroin and all the rest have been working really well since forever.

If people want something, they'll get it. Laws only stop the law-abiding.

Now that those German-sourced Glocks have almost dried up, it'll be interesting to see what the bad guys try and source next - AK47s are cheap and abundant in many parts of the world, including the Cambodian gun markets which are just a hop, skip and a jump from Australian soil. It's not like they'd have much trouble importing something like that - since like some 3rd world sh!thole, Australian Customs have proven they can be bought off for comparatively little money. What a sad, sad facade.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Here is a bit of trivia for ya ! ....
My brother in law was one of the paramedics that was there at the scene...
lol
that is all..

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ellbell
Here is a bit of trivia for ya ! ....
My brother in law was one of the paramedics that was there at the scene...
lol
that is all..

Serious? Small world..

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

the gun laws may of stopped incidents such as what happened in Tassie,

I assume your talking about the Port Arthur Massacre, If so the laws were put in place after this incident and rather quickly making many believe the legislation was written up prior to the massacre.

A big NO that any laws can stop things like that from happening ever,

The purpose for laws written is for them to be broken so the system can keep chugging along.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by frenzy4444

And the point was what, the bikie gangs have been fighting for years.

Down here in Victoria, bikie gangs aren't a problem, except for when that guy opened fire in the Melbourne CBD killing an innocent civilian. Its not just bikies that get killed.

Sorry but you must live in fairytale Victoria.

They aren't a problem because as you have shown its whats broadcast on TV and reported in papers is what you assume is all that's happening which is incorrect, many incidents are keep away from the public for numerous reasons.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Originally posted by magma

Lol.

You can't blame mcdonalds for your self destructive behaviors, any more than you can blame guns for killing people.

Guns do kill people !! If in the hands of psycho killers ... for goodness sake give it up !

For goodness sakes, take the psycho killer out of the equation and how do guns kills?

Spoons kill people and allow people to eat soup, only life can kill, inanimate objects are just that and can only perform the tasks they were created for if a living being uses the tool.

Give it up already, guns have been created, to allow others to say "you cant but we can" is stupidity and ignorance that will leave us living in chains for generations to come.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide

I live in Australia and from what i can tell it is ONLY the cops and crims who have guns

I wouldnt say gun control is failing

Did I miss something?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join