It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL: 75% SUPPORT CONGRESSIONAL TERM LIMITS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Mods: I didn't know the most appropriate place for this thread, so please move if warranted.

POLL: 75% SUPPORT CONGRESSIONAL TERM LIMITS
www.breitbart.com...

Support for limiting congressional terms varied by partisanship: 82% of Republicans said they would vote “for” term limits versus 79% of Independents and 65% of Democrats who responded similarly. A respondent’s age appeared not to be a factor in the way they responded.

The first poll that I actually believe at first look. It's even bipartisan in its results! Even better yet, Republicans are making sense! Joking, don't get too worked up!

The only issue I see with this:

Lets take Ron Paul for example. If he was never allowed to be elected as many times as he was, and slowly become a reasonable voice of dissent. I don't think I would have ever taken the interest in politics that I have, or even remain hopeful that there are decent people in congress. It doesn't help, that all we hear is about the scandal and corruption of these people, but yeah...

Think about this:

Corporations and lobbyists could just continue to switch who they support and work with, in order to carry out an initiative. Which, if for good reason, a particular district or state, or even the federal government isn't playing ball in a particular manner that suits any Corporations or Lobbyist group, said groups can now bank on the idea that term limits are in place and will then prepare for the next in line. If that makes sense.

In the end of the day, I still think that this is best route to take.

The Gallup poll also found that 63% of Americans support abolishing the Electoral College.

Whoa! I know our elections are screwed up. Much of which has to do with no national standards that actually address the totality of an election. But cmon! Every proposition that I've ever heard for replacing the Electoral College fails. But, I'm still willing to keep an open ear. So if anyone has any ideas, I'd be interested in hearing them.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
there are countless things i (and countless others) would change regarding our government.

and yes, congressional term limits is one of them.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Our representatives where supposed to be fellow citizens doing their duty to their fellow citizens by representing us in government. Now it is a path to riches and a life time of benefits for them.

Term limits is just the tip of the ice berg of whats needed to correct things, Term limits, Campaign Finance reform, Lobbying reform all need to happen to correct the problem.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

You can add me to that 75% who believe congress should have term limits. I also believe in eliminating electoral votes. I'll take it a step further and say they should eliminate the 2 party system altogether. Eliminate lobbyists, and corporate donations too.

I think with the internet the way it is, if they could secure public voting, I would say eliminate congressional representative and have the people vote directly on bills. Heck, the majority of our congressional representatives don't even show up to vote on the house floor!

I would like to see employers allow employees 20 minutes out of the working day to enter into a secluded back room to electronically vote for bills. That would truly represent the national majority and not be based upon their district needs back home. I know there would be a lot of security issues and bribing people for votes, but if there was any way to eliminate these slimy politicians who vote only because of pressure from lobbyists and corporate campaign donations, I'm all for it.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I agree....

All congress/senator positions should have term limits like the president.
There are too many "career politicians" who have lost focus on what is top priority and have become oblivious to the goings on in our country. Or rather maybe they just don't care any more.....

I saw an interview with 2 young newly elected congressmen, one Dem. & one Repub., and it was a joy to hear a discussion on various issues without all the bickering. And their ideas/views were different and fresh.
Unfortunately since they are newbies, their voices won't be heard by the Top Dawgs that run D.C.

edit on 19-1-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

I would like to see employers allow employees 20 minutes out of the working day to enter into a secluded back room to electronically vote for bills. That would truly represent the national majority and not be based upon their district needs back home. I know there would be a lot of security issues and bribing people for votes, but if there was any way to eliminate these slimy politicians who vote only because of pressure from lobbyists and corporate campaign donations, I'm all for it.

Your theories would work in a well educated, moral society, unfortunately America is not a well educated, moral society so the only thing that would happen would be for people to vote for their own wallets and you would have the same problems. As for term limits, I wouldn't mind it if a good man, or women, were to serve a life term if they did a good job. But, of course, power corrupts, and good politicians are hard to find. So the less time these people can spend in congress, the less damage they can do.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I included the following quote in a previous Thread of mine about China, which I think is appropriate here, and highlights my concerns with placing term limits on congress.

Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
Sun Tzu

With the fluidity of money, and the limits of terms, formlessness is easily achieved. It becomes easier to mask initiatives behind bankrolled individuals who pop in and out of congressional existence.

With out strong voices, like that of Ron Paul, and the ability to remove the notion of 'high profile' individuals who actually bring debates to the table, and we can place a face behind a philosophy... we then also approach, "Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness."

Call me crazy, but term limits in Congress almost seemingly go against what is conducive towards the success of our nation.

I'm pretty sure there's a greek mythological story that parallels this very heavily. Maybe some of the masonic ATS members may recall which story I'm thinking of.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

I agree....

There are too many "career politicians" who have lost focus on what is top priority and have become oblivious to the goings on in our country. Or rather maybe they just don't care any more.....

I saw an interview with 2 young newly elected congressmen, one Dem. & one Repub., and it was a joy to hear a discussion on various issues without all the bickering. And their ideas/views were different and fresh.
Unfortunately since they are newbies, their voices won't be heard by the Top Dawgs that run D.C.

Yes, but is term limits the real solution to this?

In regards to career politicians, it's on the people to identify these individuals and simple cease in re-electing these people.

People, far too often want to remove their responsibility by either changing existing laws and regulations, or even giving up their own civil liberties. If people just because more active in politics, especially at a more local level, I would imagine that a lot of these issues would be addressed more appropriately.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by retirednature

Originally posted by snarky412

I agree....

Yes, but is term limits the real solution to this?

In regards to career politicians, it's on the people to identify these individuals and simple cease in re-electing these people.

People, far too often want to remove their responsibility by either changing existing laws and regulations, or even giving up their own civil liberties. If people just because more active in politics, especially at a more local level, I would imagine that a lot of these issues would be addressed more appropriately.

Of course term limits ought to be implemented for them.

How are we ever going to change the old timers such as Reid, Pelosi, Schumer, Boehner....you're not.
They are to set in their ways and quite frankly are not open minded enough to new, fresh ideas. And if they themselves didn't come up with the idea, well they don't seem like the type to give another person credit by supporting the idea.

And the people themselves are at fault for not taking a chance on voting in new blood, they just re-elect the same ones because it's "safer" and a old habit by now.

Our country is being run into the ground by the old timers in D.C. that only care about themselves. The only regular people they look after are the ones that live in their district, so they'll be re-elected year, after year, after year..... a never ending cycle that needs to be stopped.

ETA: This would be a start to part of the solution IMO.....

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I supported it for everyone, except Ron Paul.

I wish he could serve for a century, we are already hurting without him.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This is the only Constitutional Amendment that should revised, the one that allows for these people to become life-long politicians.
These people are even exempt from insider trading.
Time to kick them in the knees.

28th-amendment-term-limits-for-congress.rallycongress.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Hellz to the Yes!

Two term limits. While it will make the lobbyists have to jump more, something in motion is usually easier to detect as well. Hence easier for them to screw up and be prosecuted.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
I supported it for everyone, except Ron Paul.

I wish he could serve for a century, we are already hurting without him.

And that is how each of the incumbents continue to get reelected; thinking exactly like this. "I despise Congress! They are all liars and cheats! Vote them out.....except my guy".....

They have term limits, its just the People are too anemic and enjoy sitting at the public trough that keeps getting refilled by their "representatives".....

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
That's not a surprise since their approval rating is less than %10.

top topics

join