It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptic, but with an unexplained incident.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I am not really a believer, although I want to be. I skeptically watch haunting type shows on TV and try to figure out if there could be worldly explanations to what people experience. It's very interesting to me, being a curious type. Being from a scientific background, I tend to try to explain or rationalize things to death. However, over the past year or so, I have experienced a few things that really twist my brain, and almost convince me that there is another side. Last Spring I had a friend and his family perish in a house fire. It was followed by quite a few experiences that amounted to more than coincidence. There is a thread about it here.

Today, my wife was making the bed, and our wedding candle, on a table in our bedroom, just fell over. It has been there solidly for 16 years. In fact it sticks to the metal plate that it sits on. It's a fat heavy candle, about 4" diameter and about 10" tall. There was zero reason for it to fall over. My wife said she was making the bed, heard the bang, and went over to the table shocked to see the candle had fallen over to the right, and it had moved a photo frame over a bit. The metal base plate had not moved. Directly behind the candle is a memoriam pamphlet from a local church for a Mass for Remembrance for Bereaved Parents.

I went to check out the candle and put it onto the base in various ways to see if I could make it stand in an unstable manner on the metal base. There was NO WAY this candle could have fallen over by vibration or walking around, or even a breeze. Windows are shut, it's Winter here, no fans, the candle is at least 12 feet from where my wife was working and around a corner in the room. To knock the candle over requires quite a bit of force and the wax sticks it to the base pretty well. Something knocked over that candle??!!

Here is a photo of the candle that fell over.
dcer.smugmug.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Any reason for something wanting to get your wife's attention? Perhaps there are some dead who need your wife's prayers.

oooor....getting personal here...something trying to remind your wife concerning your marriage?
edit on 19-1-2013 by monkcaw because: added to comment.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I think the 9th anniversary of her fathers tragic death is coming up in a few days. My wife had found him dead.
edit on 19-1-2013 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I'm also a skeptic when it comes to the paranormal, but let's say this is paranormal. Since you posted it in the paranormal forum, you must think it is.

It's your unity candle. Maybe someone or something is trying to tell you to focus on your marriage?
edit on 19-1-2013 by Ireminisce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zayonara

I'm right there with you. I see things the same way regarding the paranormal and look to find scientific explanations. Did you check to see if maybe a picture on the wall fell down on the candle knocking it over ? I have had strange experiences too and one of them baffles me so much I am still trying to find a reason for it.

I hope you figure it out.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Oh, maybe it was an animal? I think if a rat ran across the table it could knock it over. Check for pests.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by zayonara

Thats it? Maybe your wife is trying to tell you something and has picked up on your attention to the "paranormal" of late. Maybe she needs a little more of your attention. Let me guess. She disapproves of you're investigating it by watching these shows.

I don't really know. I can tell you this. Them shows are mostly bogus. And there is a "spirit word". I have seen them. We are spirits. Rest assured.

You said a "few things". What else has happened?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
My wife doesn't disapprove of me watching haunting shows occasionally, she probably believes in some sort of afterlife quite more than I do. She has had much more loss in her life then I have. I agree, either something is trying to tell me to pay more attention to her, or there is an animal running around. However, the only animal running around, barely, is my 19 year old cat, who can barely go up stairs, let alone get onto a table. There are no rats (alive) in this house for sure. Her birthday is this weekend too. Maybe her late dad was trying to wish her a happy birthday. There is nothing on, or around that table with enough mass to knock over that candle. It happened with a fairly loud "thunk", while she was working in the room. No animals present. This is why I think it is a paranormal occurrence. I cannot think of a physical reason for that candle to have toppled. Believe me, I think a lot, and have run through hundreds of possible physical reasons. Unless my wife "dreamed" it up, it has to be some external force. Candles like that don't "walk" on their own. The metal plate is concave and should keep the candle from drifting towards the edges with thermal changes, or barometric changes. I am going to carefully monitor the position of the candle on the plate to see if it has a drift tendency for some physical reason.

We will be enjoying this birthday weekend together, and I will continue to keep my senses aware for other signs, if any.

"Other things" refers to the chain of events after the passing of my friend and his family. It's all detailed in a thread I started around May 2012.

Thanks for taking the time to participate in my curiosity.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Usually when people make beds they are tossing a sheet or blanket up in the air from one end to straighten it out; this could have created some wind in the room that toppled the candle. It looks like it's on a pretty uneven surface. Alternatively, the sheets could have interacted with the candle directly. Have you considered these explanations?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I suppose it's plausible but the candle is at least 10-12 feet away from the closest corner of the bed, around a blind corner. If it was sitting in the base properly, it would take a strong gust to knock it over. I would estimate 25-30mph gust would do it. It's pretty heavy and it's on a level table, on a metal dish with legs.

I wonder if my subwoofer, downstairs would make it walk. I shall experiment.
edit on 23-1-2013 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join