Any U.S. Tax Consultants here?

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
A friend of mine was told that he should file a tax return even though he didn't work a single day in 2012. I guess the thinking is that he would still be eligible for any stimulus monies, or tax credits, or anything that would put some change in his pocket. My friend doesn't believe this, and I have no idea.

Enlighten me, please?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Some how i doubt that a U.S. Tax Consultant would frequent a forum devoted to truth and intellectual debate.....

But good luck with your endeavor.

Im glad i haven't worked in the USA, that Tax stuff is like a mine field with IRS waiting to jump out the bushes on you over any honest mistakes, like a tax ninja.

I would assume if the person in question has no income, then even if a tax return was not filled in, the Tax men would have no owed money to pursue anyway. But thats logical and the tax guys are not... so all the best to your friend
edit on 19-1-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

If you didnt work and they didnt take any taxes , Ummm,,,,,,, I dont know why you would file . If you dont pay into the system why would anyone think they should be getting anything ? stimulus money ? hahahahahahaha now thats funny !
edit on 19-1-2013 by letseeit7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'm no expert here, but I do have some personal experience.
Did he do any odd and end jobs for anyone at all? You can claim those, but depending on his situation (no dependents ect) it could cost him. If he did do some here and there work, then he needs to contact the people and try to figure out when, how much paid, about how long it took him to do whatever it was and how far he had to travel to do that. They find out what your refund would be, then take out a percent off that for what you owe back into taxes, then you get whats left off that. (there's gotta be a better way to explain that process but I'm not sure how.) If he does do side things, then in the future he needs to keep a record as he does it. (although from what I can tell, it doesn't sound like he does any side work, in which case I can't imagine why you would try to file)
Between our situation and how much odds and ends my husband does (he does ALOT), tax time is better than Christmas to us.
edit on 19-1-2013 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Some how i doubt that a U.S. Tax Consultant would frequent a forum devoted to truth and intellectual debate.....

Im glad i haven't worked in the USA, that Tax stuff is like a mine field with IRS waiting to jump out the bushes on you over any honest mistakes, like a tax ninja.

Rule #1; Don't listen to someone from the UK when discussing the US tax system.

File anyway. You could be eligible for one or more tax credits, depending on your circumstances. You could get a tax refund. For example, in my first go around my refund is larger than the tax I paid in. Secondly, you have established that you filed, so there is no gap, so there is no suspicion in future years. It keeps the record straight.

So, the answer is that you are not REQUIRED to file a return if you had no income, but it would be a good idea to do it anyway.

turbotax.intuit.com...
www.irs.gov...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by letseeit7
reply to post by jiggerj

If you didnt work and they didnt take any taxes , Ummm,,,,,,, I dont know why you would file . If you dont pay into the system why would anyone think they should be getting anything ? stimulus money ? hahahahahahaha now thats funny !
edit on 19-1-2013 by letseeit7 because: (no reason given)

People that didn't work and live solely on social security received stimulus checks.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Rule #1; Don't listen to someone from the UK when discussing the US tax system.

File anyway. You could be eligible for one or more tax credits, depending on your circumstances. You could get a tax refund. For example, in my first go around my refund is larger than the tax I paid in. Secondly, you have established that you filed, so there is no gap, so there is no suspicion in future years. It keeps the record straight.

So, the answer is that you are not REQUIRED to file a return if you had no income, but it would be a good idea to do it anyway.

turbotax.intuit.com...
www.irs.gov...

Thanks, Shyler. I checked the irs link you posted. My friend needed to earn $3,000 or more to qualify for any returns. Well, that was for the year 2007, but I don't see why this would change. Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Your assumptions about my knowledge of your tax system is uncalled for, i know enough and i was correct with what i said.

Since the guy in question does not need to fill a Tax return and will not have the authorities chasing him for it, its not something to worry about. But yes, he may be eligible for other things as well has having a constant track record with the Tax men.

In Britain we pay car tax yearly of which 10% gets spent on the roads, a big grape here in the UK, taxes not going into improving the situations. I read up on other country's ways to make sure when i have a say at the ballot box im doing the best for my country.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

reply to post by schuyler

Your assumptions about my knowledge of your tax system is uncalled for, i know enough and i was correct with what i said.

Is that right? Well, then, let us examine what you said and see:

Gratuitous, unnecessary, with no basis in fact. Tax Consultants perform and unfortunately needed service. There is nothing "evil" about someone trying to help others navigate the tax laws of a country and no reason to assume they would not be interested in ATS subjects. Your statement is false.

You say that with no examples at all and having never been subjected to it. A "tax ninja"? Seriously? I'm sure we can all find anecdotal examples, but in my dealings with the IRS where I have made mistakes they have been very straightforward with me. I have made mistakes that they COULD have suggested was an attempt at fraud, but they didn't "jump out of the bushes" over MY honest mistakes. They simply said, "Our records don't agree with yours. Please explain. It looks like you owe some more money." I did this twice (facepalm on me!) and they were right both times. I screwed up thousands of dollars worth by failing to report interest income. The bank should have sent me a statement. Either they did not or I threw it away. I should have known better.

Yet when they made a quite substantial mistake themselves a few years ago by mistaking a return of principle on a bond for income, they accepted my rebuke with grace and professionalism. But I didn't get all upset and yell at them. I just said, "That $12,000 is not income; it is a return of principle. I already paid taxes on that money." End of story. They said "Okay." I did not need to jump through loopholes or provide more proof. I could not have been treated better in the situations I just described. They COULD have hassled me. I expected it. They did not.

You WILL pay what you owe, of course, but they are not the inflexible bureaucracy of twenty years ago. Most tax issues are fairly straightforward unless you have a highly complex return, in which case you need a Tax Consultant. Tax ninjas? C'mon. That's just silly and not at all substantive, especially for someone who has never experienced the IRS first hand.

I would assume if the person in question has no income, then even if a tax return was not filled in, the Tax men would have no owed money to pursue anyway. But thats logical and the tax guys are not...

True, but superficial, needlessly accusatory, and not at all what the IRS does. Indeed, if there is zero income, there is no need to file. How does that make the tax guys illogical again? The rule is just as your assumption states, but you seem hell bent on calling the "tax guys" illogical even when they're doing what you call logical anyway. Besides, you assume wrong because you did not understand the underlying issue. A few years ago we all got a substantial tax rebate. If you had no income, in order to get it, you had to file a return.

In Britain we pay car tax yearly of which 10% gets spent on the roads, a big grape here in the UK, taxes not going into improving the situations. I read up on other country's ways to make sure when i have a say at the ballot box im doing the best for my country.

That's too bad (really). But "reading up on other country's ways" does not provide you with a level of knowledge that dealing with the IRS year after year for your entire working life does. You haven't provided one scrap of useful information to the issue and the advice you did provide is ill-advised.

That's why Rule #1 applies. Going to you for IRS advice is like going to the dentist for a haircut.
edit on 1/19/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I'll add to this...

You should most definitely file your tax return every year if you're a US citizen... even if you don't live in the country, and haven't made a cent on US soil... ever!!! The fines for not filing can compound and cost thousands!

The US tax system is the most a#se backward tax system in the world. It is the last country in the world that taxes based on citizenship rather than residency. The only other country that has anything even remotely similar is a dictatorship in Africa called Eritrea.

A good example of the insane money grubbing nature of the US government is; a child born and raised in another country to US parents is an automatic US citizen. The US tax system requires citizens to pay tax on their income, so as a result, a US citizen, who has never set foot in the country is liable to pay income tax to the US government... for life. This essentially means they get double taxed, regardless of exemptions that are supposed to help avoid the problem.

It's no coincidence that the founder of Facebook renounced his citizenship just before floating the company.

I could go on, but the US government just makes me angry these days.

Cheers

join