It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you hold the Brits and Aussies up as examples re Gun Control

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

Originally posted by MaMaa
Speaking of England, I once heard that you could fit England into the United states something like 38 or 39 times. I didn't realize England was so tiny! How is it that one tiny little country could cause so much destruction and invade so many countries?

Disruptive technology and an expansionist entrepreneurial spirit. Europe industrialised first, so it had the tech to spread out and colonise. The British Empire simply came out on top but Spain, France, Holland etc were all imperial powers.

We didn't really invade many countries. Not in the sense you mean it. The empire was a commercial venture first and foremost. It was about establishing colonies where there was no pre-existing nation and setting up trade routes. In other cases it was about co-opting existing regimes and making the leaders rich in turn for power and influence.

Thats how it was possible with such a small population.

China is adopting the same techniques now in Africa. If you buy a country out from under its population slowly you don't need troops to garrison it.

Makes sense

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageman
reply to post by MaMaa

You should watch this video and be enlightened

OMG! Hilarious!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

So no genocide then?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knobby
reply to post by MaMaa

I've never used the youtube link before, but maybe you will learn something.

...if it works.

edit on 19-1-2013 by Knobby because: (no reason given)

My apologies.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

reply to post by MaMaa

So no genocide then?

No thank you, I'm morally opposed to the idea in general.

PS.. I should have just looked under your profile pic to see the Scotland bit there, my apologies! My family is actually from Scotland!

edit on 19-1-2013 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)
*a few generations back anyway*
edit on 19-1-2013 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Look in the mirror before casting judgements on other nations.

Oh deary me!

PS My family name means that I came from Norway, but it means bugger all to me. Why Americans want to ingrain themselves to Europe, I'll never know.

PPS...and then slag them off.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Interesting replies all. Loved the YouTube vid. LMAO!

However, addressing my OP, I'm thinking 'global agenda'. If you don't think there is a step-by-step process in the global effort to disarm citizens that involves a nation-by-nation time table, then this thread is meaningless. However, for those that can see the pattern, we should all be thinking about the possibilities.

BTW, the UN's small arms trade treaty negotiations is an ongoing plot....I mean, effort to get this done. I guess I have never trusted the UN's motives.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Speaking of England, I once heard that you could fit England into the United states something like 38 or 39 times. I didn't realize England was so tiny! How is it that one tiny little country could cause so much destruction and invade so many countries?

That would be Britain

O.P. Britain is too small for guns.We have too high a population for a tiny island.
I think it's 65 million now(around there)
Having guns in the mix,especially with racial tentions in certain cities would be madness.

to your other point trying to say it without sounding like an ego maniac,britains can defend themselves
don't worry about that

edit on 19-1-2013 by cjttatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Good tea.

Incidentally, where are you from? I am sure it is a very peaceful nation given your incredible criticism of the UK's government.

I'm in Colorado, but don't misunderstand me, I am even more critical of my own government here in the US. I'm cynical of all governments and their motives though.

Fair enough.
As a person whom stood on both shores, I will say that over in England, when the Brits go to war, the people are far less enthused about it...wondering why right from the start, and quite critical of the whole mess.
When the Americans go to war, its typically all flags and cheers for a good half of it before we get to the asking questions phase.

But nobody is controlling the world now...we are talking ancient history..and also unless your 100% native American, then chances are, you have a bit of brit in your heritage. Hard to be griping at what great granddad did considering whatever he did, it ended up with you being born.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

I've heard that the Belgians were far worse than we were in regards to our colonies.

...why doesn't anyone give them a hard time?

... perhaps fat Americans like their chocolate a tad too much?

Depending on how far back we want to go in history...
-eyes the Italians-

Gotta say...Belgium's chocolate is good, but what gives them a pass on any former actions is the invention of earths crowning achievement known as the French fry.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

reply to post by MaMaa

Look in the mirror before casting judgements on other nations.

Oh deary me!

PS My family name means that I came from Norway, but it means bugger all to me. Why Americans want to ingrain themselves to Europe, I'll never know.

PPS...and then slag them off.

I think you misunderstand me, I have far more judgments of my own nation than I do of any other. I can't think of a single good thing to say about my own government or their war mongering either, it's all bull# and leads the world to believe that the countries people support what their government does. I think most people just don't know what to do about it or simply are too comfortable in their own lives to care.

I don't want to ingrain myself with Europe, just was making a statement. I am 100% American and quite happily so. I think people just like to know where their roots are from, nothing so awful about that.

I am sorry that I have offended you, sincerely.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

Oh dear, more uninformed drivel from our cousins across the pond.

Firstly, it's been many years since the handgun restrictions came in and decades since assault weapons were restricted (note the use of the word here - there is no "ban" per se), not a "few short years" like you claim.

Secondly, there never was a massive gun culture in the UK. Even when our Police were "armed", they routinely went out without their guns.

So, to answer your question, life here is pretty much the same as it's always been. The gun laws have made no discernible difference to life for anyone and those who wish to own a weapon can do so, providing they meet the criteria.

reply to post by MaMaa

Oh please... When it comes to imperial powers of the 19th/20th centuries (of which there were many - we weren't the only ones) we were actually not that bad. Of all the Empires that came and went, the British are the ones that retain the strongest links to their former subjects, who do so willingly, via the Commonwealth. If we were that bad, do you think so many nations would be in the Commonwealth. We even get former colonies of other nations joining up as we're that great

Do not forget also that during the same period, the US Government had an active mission to "civilise" your own "colonies" (the West) and butchered hundreds of thousands of native Americans, so I politely ask you get off your high horse and get some perspective.

Oh, I will also ask that when talking about our country, you remember that England/Britain/UK are not interchangeable. They are each different things. England is merely one nation within the UK. The UK has 4 separate nations, including Scotland (which you seem to think is somewhere else) and Britain is the largest of the islands which make up the British Isles....It's exactly the same as if I was talking about the US as a whole and then called it "California", then said "North America"...

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

Britains violent crime rate is actually 3.5x that of the USs.

Bollocks! It's the way stats are recorded (we'd describe falling over as a "violent crime" these days), but you guys have a murder rate much, much higher than anywhere in Western Europe, much less the UK.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

I don't know about the Australian gun grab. It seems we may of been duped by a psy-op but its hard to tell. As for the police here, they still carry guns. I think the USA has every right to fight for their semi autos. Unlike the USA, Australia didn't have a 2nd amendment to fight for.

As for the safety side of things, we still have violent crime and with that shootings. We may of saved ourselves a few more massacres but the gun culture in some cities is still alive and kicking.

Sydney shootings

Heres why I think we may of been duped by a psy-op. I'm not suggesting the same happened in the USA but our massacre has some really sketchy information.

Port Arthur Mystery

I think we were taken for a ride.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join