It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The gun control debate is nothing but recurring hype and nonsense if you ask me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am down the middle when it comes to this topic, but when I look at it .. neither side has a valid point... it's all hype and fear mongering..

1. Will gun control prevent gun violence? ..

NO .. it won't.. the gun control measures that are being proposed do nothing to stop you from buying guns, only certain types.. so yeah domestic violence, gang related crimes and shooting deaths will continue..

2. The gub'ment is trying to take my guns away! this will be civil war and anarchy!!!

NO .. actually it won't .. that's hype and fear mongering.. this measure has ALREADY been in place before and people like Alex Jones and William Cooper back in the day were saying the same nonsense they are saying now.. that this will result in civil war and a citizen uprising... I got news for you... it won't ... and it already hasn't .. When Bill Clinton inacted an assault weapons ban the NRA and conspiracy theorists were ranting and hollering and warning about the consequences.. it was in the news .. it was here on ATS ... OMG .. so what actually happened? .. nothing... why is that?

Well it's because most of us don't need an assault weapon.. don't care about assault weapons.. and probably never intend to buy one to begin with.. so a ban like this impacts an EXTREMELY low number of people... ultimately the majority of Americans could care less about this.. but if you watch the media or listen to the likes of Alex Jones.. this is such a huge ultra mega deal .. sorry.. it just isn't .. and if you're going nuts about it, you're buying into the hype... guess what? Alex Jones is loving this because he's getting ratings he's not seen in a while.. CNN loved it because they got the ratings.. fear sells, and people buy it .. but in the end it means very little... many of you are playing into political theater .. wake up =)

3. What's the truth about the gun control bill?

Well you can still go out and buy a ton of guns... you can still stockpile weapons.. you just can't buy some types of weapons you probably don't need to begin with.. boo hoo... it will only be over turned during the next president's term ANYWAY... it's called a knee jerk reaction.. political pressure to act after a disaster.. it's NOT new ... it's already been done before and we're all still alive...

edit on 1/19/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Umm. Just curious...

Who asked you?

With a zillion other threads here on the topic...

never mind...just forget it.

Ok fine:

Your lack of perceiving the incremental effects of these power grabs are nullifying all your arguments.
edit on Sat Jan 19th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Umm. Just curious...

Who asked you?

With a zillion other threads here on the topic...

never mind...just forget it.

It's called a public forum .. who asked anyone anything? .. you certainly didn't need to reply if you didn't like the topic .. so move along if you don't.. that's what we call freedom =)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You're completely right.

So many people aren't thinking rationally now.

Even if they said all guns were banned, 99/100 people who are saying # on these forums wouldn't do jack, until people showed up at their door, and even then 98/100 would just hand the guns over.

All talk.

edit on 19-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Fair points but one question I have is why do you want the government telling you what you need and don't need? Do I need a 30 rd magazine? Do I need a 20rd magazine? Do you need a car that goes more than the speed limit? Do you need more food in your house than you can eat in one or two days? Do I need a 4 bedroom house if I only have 2 kids? How about I make those choices myself since I'm a responsible adult. The proposed gun ban is extremely misdirected if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
You're completely right.

So many people aren't thinking rationally now.

Even if they said all guns were banned, 99/100 people who are saying # on these forums wouldn't do jack, until people showed up at their door, and even then 98/100 would just hand the guns over.

All talk.

edit on 19-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

Thank you .. and that's exactly my point.. yeah I posted this expected I'd be beaten up in the forums .. people don't want to hear it .. but this really is a non-event.. the majority of the people just don't care because it doesn't impact them..

Is this a bad move? of course it is... it's a waste of time.. it won't fix anything... but the point is that the people who are foaming out the mouth about how big this is and what it will mean.. are fear mongering.. we've already went through it before and they already said the same things before.. it just isn't reality..

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
Fair points but one question I have is why do you want the government telling you what you need and don't need? Do I need a 30 rd magazine? Do I need a 20rd magazine? Do you need a car that goes more than the speed limit? Do you need more food in your house than you can eat in one or two days? Do I need a 4 bedroom house if I only have 2 kids? How about I make those choices myself since I'm a responsible adult. The proposed gun ban is extremely misdirected if you ask me.

I don't want them to .. that's not even my point... the point is it's not going to have the huge impact many are yelling and screaming will happen.. I think the ban is silly and will be largely ineffective ... I don't deny that.. I am not for gun control.. what I am trying to say is people are over-reacting when they say this is going to cause a civil war or huge back-lash from the people.. that's simply not going to happen.. but it brings in the ratings... the ban impacts VERY few people.. and it's already happened before.. that's all I'm getting at.

new topics

top topics

join