Where Are You And Why Do You Hide?

page: 1
5

log in

join

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I've been around here for a few years, and have read many articles on various subjects, and from time to time I'll even insert a "Quote" or a "Reply to" on a Thread. As you will notice, this is rather seldom, and this is my first time starting a Thread. I'm a very poor writer, so I tend to just read and leave the writing to others.

The reason for starting this Thread, is that for years I traveled throughout this country and Canada as a long haul trucker. I have been to every state and every major city in the US and so many small Cities, towns and villages, that I cannot remember. I've passed through all the Providences in Canada, minus Nova Scotia and the Northwest Territories. And throughout all these travels have had the chance, to talk with thousands of people living in these various locations, and have gained an eduction, that for no amount of money, can you obtain in any University or College.

I love to hear the opinions of others on a great many subjects, and over time I realized, that where your located greatly influenced your shared opinion or your answer to the question of "why".

So here is my question. Why do so many of you not include your location. Is there something I should be scared of, its not like if someone wanted to find you they couldn't. And It's not like you need to know the street someone lives live on

Lets take a for instance. In a Thread this morning the person was telling everyone that there was a large amount of gun fire in his or her neighborhood. In what part of the world is your neighborhood? I can think of at least 100 different locations where that could be taking place.

So here I am in Sacramento CA, wondering "why" your afraid someone will know in what part of the world you live?

The greatest word in the world is "WHY". From what other word can one gain infinite knowledge?

Have a good one
Later Treeshaker

I'm take'n the Harley out for a ride. I shall return.




posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Suohhen
 


I myself have not hidden what city I live in. In various threads here and there I have mentioned Seattle several times.

I am with you on this...what is the big deal in people not saying where they live.

Really if someone wants to find someone or know who they are; in this day and age; (in most cases) they easily can.

I know on ATS...people are (for the most part) anonymous if they so choose to be; but really if TPTB wanted to find someone they could; through their email address.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Mines encrypted courtesy of Sir Terry Pratchet from his book "The Last Continent"

Ecks Ecks Ecks Ecks.


edit on 19/1/2013 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I live in New Mexico, which is the 5th largest state and one of the lest populous, which I like. I've disclosed my location plenty of times in various threads.

And I have never seen any UFOs here. Only in New York.


I've noticed a correlation between the absence of a location in one's profile to the amount of anti-American vitriol they spew. Kind of like cowardly hezbollah terrorists who cover their faces because they are afraid of being identified. I think maybe that's why THEY hide.

edit on 19-1-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I don't know why some members don't list even the general area they are in. I have mine listed.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
People pretty much know where I am. You can't be TOO obvious though. I had a member about 6 years ago wanting to track me down. Not in a good way. He had my business down but not the location. I wouldn't have minded "meeting" this gentleman but I'd hate to have an unknown bullet in the back of my head. Yeah, this dude was nuts.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
People pretty much know where I am. You can't be TOO obvious though. I had a member about 6 years ago wanting to track me down. Not in a good way. He had my business down but not the location. I wouldn't have minded "meeting" this gentleman but I'd hate to have an unknown bullet in the back of my head. Yeah, this dude was nuts.


I am glad you are safe..and nothing came of that member trying to stock you. I am curious...what was he upset about? Or...was he just one of those people that fabricate unreasonable reasons?



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Suohhen
I've been around here for a few years, and have read many articles on various subjects, and from time to time I'll even insert a "Quote" or a "Reply to" on a Thread. As you will notice, this is rather seldom, and this is my first time starting a Thread. I'm a very poor writer, so I tend to just read and leave the writing to others.

The reason for starting this Thread, is that for years I traveled throughout this country and Canada as a long haul trucker. I have been to every state and every major city in the US and so many small Cities, towns and villages, that I cannot remember. I've passed through all the Providences in Canada, minus Nova Scotia and the Northwest Territories. And throughout all these travels have had the chance, to talk with thousands of people living in these various locations, and have gained an eduction, that for no amount of money, can you obtain in any University or College.

I love to hear the opinions of others on a great many subjects, and over time I realized, that where your located greatly influenced your shared opinion or your answer to the question of "why".

So here is my question. Why do so many of you not include your location. Is there something I should be scared of, its not like if someone wanted to find you they couldn't. And It's not like you need to know the street someone lives live on

Lets take a for instance. In a Thread this morning the person was telling everyone that there was a large amount of gun fire in his or her neighborhood. In what part of the world is your neighborhood? I can think of at least 100 different locations where that could be taking place.

So here I am in Sacramento CA, wondering "why" your afraid someone will know in what part of the world you live?

The greatest word in the world is "WHY". From what other word can one gain infinite knowledge?

Have a good one
Later Treeshaker

I'm take'n the Harley out for a ride. I shall return.








i have a question.. why do you want to know my location? o what significance or education is it for u?

quite frankly.. iam not hiding.. but if u want to find me.. then u will have to do your job.. it's what ur paid for


work for it!



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Quite simply, those that matter..know where Iam. Those that don't..don't need to know. My opinion on any given thread really shouldn't be influenced much by my location.
Some of us have valid reasons for not broadcasting it.
So you have driven long haul across North America? My husband has as well. Gave it up years ago. It's a rough life.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I often wonder that too, but I suppose it is up to the individual poster to decide if they want to be pegged somewhere on this planet.

I don't mind saying "west Texas", because the area is insanely large, and even if I gave my actual physical address, it wouldn't come up correctly on Mapquest or Bing (it places my house 15 miles away from my actual location), because we're that isolated.

However, I do not name the local town we are closest to, because of the small population.

There are crazies out there, stalkers, etc. You can have my general location but that's about as close as I'm gonna let anybody get. Besides, all of west Texas pretty much looks the same.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I think most people don't list their location because of a sense of reassurance they get from the small added amount of anonymity.

Yes, as has been said. If someone was so inclined, it isn't that hard to find anyones location.

I currently live in the Washington D.C. area. But I move around so much that it is just more convenient to list Earth, at least until I score a spot on the Mars colony.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Besides, all of west Texas pretty much looks the same.


I'm just curious FS, does West Texas actually look like West Texas?
I jest. I have only seen that on TV and in movies. Been to LA though.


AD, the guy was just a nut. He got bent out of shape because we played a prank on an April Fools, or Halloween. It was that far back I don't remember. He's the reason we don't do stuff like that anymore. Frickin shame too. The members and the staff got to know each other better. That was better for the board.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid
 


Trep, wouldn't matter what you did...guy was really off base. He's not the only one. I have encountered a handful on here that were stalker worthy.



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea
 


Maybe its something to do with being on ats!. I put where im from because i spent many years in the forces. So i guess they know where i am anyway!



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I hide a little by nature just because it strikes me as being good policy . I am a huge man with long grey hair beard and mustache , and even though everything else is grey my eyebrows are black and big , they droop down in front of my eyes and curve way up on the outside , they give me an amazing war hawk look .

People who meet me are immediately threatened a little , if they take the time to chat even a bit they soon realize that I'm actually a big wuss that wouldn't hurt a fly . ( I can but I'd feel guilty for the rest of the day ) So trouble hardly ever comes my way .

I think it can be different over the internet , the shock effect of my appearance doesn't do me any good , and it's very hard to put much of my personality in this typed word . Sicko fantasies can take on a life of their own if they're allowed to fester , you rub somebody the wrong way and the next thing you know it's a few months later and you're being chased down the street by a lunatic screaming something that makes perfect sense to him but is a complete mystery to you .

So I think it makes sense to hide at least a little . Better safe than sorry .

I live Bonham, Tx. but don't tell anybody or I won't trust you anymore .



posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
My location reads Vault 101, Republic of Pineland

Vault 101 is the starting location in Fallout 3, I'm a big fan of the F.O. Series, Pinelamd is the fictitious country where the US Army Special Forces conduct Operation Robin Sage, the whole state of North Carolina is used as a training ground for this op. I was proud to be a role player for this operation
edit on 1/19/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid
 


I can understand why you would not pin point your location. There are those that become overly upset by the Jokes on you.
As for the term Nuts. I think there's a fine line between "Nuts" and "Dangerous"

While your here, I was wondering when a thread is taken down, is it deleted by consensus within the Mods or by one persons opinion?





top topics
 
5

log in

join