It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop - Soldier - Law-Abiding Citizen...What's the Difference Where Weapons are Concerned?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
I had this thought the other day, when reading another thread, and some posters were stating that if someone is not a cop or in the military, they don't need certain types of weapons. So, I attempted to discover their motives as to why they feel that way. Can you help me to understand?

edit on 1/19/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: sp

I have be studiously avoiding the gun folderol (Noun
Trivial or nonsensical fuss: "all the folderol of the athletic contests and the cheerleaders") but you bring up a very valid question.

The training is a big part of it. I grew up an Army brat on base and learned about weapons from a young age - simple sidearms to ICBMs - my dad made sure I knew the capabilities of each type of weapon and their strategic and tactical uses. However in our home, on base, there was only my father's sidearm in a safe because the reasearch shows and the army (at least then) concurred that weapons in the home are a danger to the local (base) community. Those that had privhate arms (rod and gun clubs were popular) had to register them and keep them safe. The army keeps close track (with some exceptions) of where weapons are (don't want drunken soldiers going postal on the base CO's family).

I don't know police procedures - but training, supervision are huge differences in both cases.

In the general population you have little training and no supervision. Would you really want your neighber to have a Rocket Propelled Grenage launcher in their house even if trained - what about fires and other disasters? What if the neighbor hood kids break in and steal it - killing themselves and others. Just too much uncertainty about weapons in general circulation.

In fact, I've a question for gun enthusiasts: do you have to disclose on your insurance if you have weapons in the home? Are weapon 'accidents' covered by general liability? Are guns and other weapons considered an 'attractive nusience" as swimmings pools are and require extra premiums? Who is financially responsible for 'accidents' and other distructive incidents?

I think I'm on to something - surely all good libertarians want to be responsible (fiscally and ethicly) for any harm done to another's person or property.
edit on 21-1-2013 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

Cop - Soldier - Law-Abiding Citizen...What's the Difference Where Weapons are Concerned?

Cop and Soldier = Professions (training, mental test, evaluations)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Staroth

You may be surprised then when you see the mental checks in the military that, even though they pass, there are those who slip through the cracks and definitely have anger and other issues, same goes for police.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Staroth
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

Cop and Soldier = Professions (training, mental test, evaluations)

As I've mentioned, previously, wouldn't the stresses and rigors, involved with said "professions" add a facet to the mental stability of those, that doesn't exist in the general populace?

Training is not automatically assured to be greater, in the military or in law enforcement. And, in fact, excluding some of the more specialized units in both, would not equal the level of many gun enthusiast's!

Evaluations, are a tricky and dangerous road to traverse...Who is doing the evaluating? And, what are the evals supposed to prove or reveal? And, although civilians do not have to submit to such things, I would wager that most would fare better, due to the aforementioned stresses, inherent in gun related professions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join