It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity and Smoking in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I heard a comment on obesity in America.That 65% of all Americans are obese.Now is this a result of Hamburgers,Milkshakes,Soft Drinks and lack of exercise?Or could there be another reason behind it?

Well the commentator I was listening to had another thought.. He said it is because of the stance on smoking.

He looked back at pictures from the 50's.Where everybody and their sister smoked yet you don't see the same amount of obese people.

Afterall the statistics do add up.65% of Americans are obese, 35% of all Americans smoke.Thats 100% right?We are all going to die.Do you want to fit in the casket or not?Your choice.

edit on 19-1-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

Moral to this story is .You just can't win.We are all going to die!!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

As silly as you may have intended the premise to be, there is some truth to this. When I quit smoking, I gained about 20 pounds. I lost it when I quit drinking but jeeze, that was so dramatic.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

The correlation is obvious. When you quit smoking, you needed to develop another habit to preoccupy your body in the absence of that particular vice. That's when you started eating. If you had dieted at the same time, you would have had a much harder time because that distraction would have been gone.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I was having fun.So I edited the post.My point is no matter what we do we are all going to die.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Tobacco is an adjuvant, it stimulates the body to have a reaction to things we are allergic to. When doing that it raises histamine levels and causes the body to use stored energy. The problem with tobacco use is that people who smoke don't eat as much and also their immune system is depleted of certain chemicals and minerals. This can help to dampen the autoimmune diseases because the body is always running on a low reserve of histamines. Minerals make good antihistamines, they actually build the reserves but this could be dangerous for those with autoimune disorders because increasing overall stores can lead to a cyklotine storm.

Smoking 5 cigarettes a day isn't bad for anyone, actually having a woodstove is good for some people. We don't need tobacco to stop the cyklotine storm, all we need is smoke. Other options are coffee, tomatoes, and Orange juice. They are all adjuvants but I don't know if they are identical to smoke adjuvants.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

I'm not so sure about that. I know several obese people that smoke and many more physically fit people that do not smoke. I think it has more to do with what sort of foods one eats and level of physical activity. Back in the 1950s people were out and about doing more physical things that helped them maintain a healthy weight, and the foods they consumed weren't loaded down with chemicals and hormones. Also the technology we enjoy today has led the majority of people to a much more sedintary lifestyle. In the 1950s people didn't have the internet, video games and 1001 cable channels to keep them on their tushies, and today there are more occupations that involve sitting at a computer screen rather than standing and moving around all day. I think these things have been the biggest contributing factors to the rise in obesity.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I've wondered about that myself. I gained weight when I quit smoking, without eating more.
I am in France, where I think the percentage of smokers is much higher, and obesity much lower. But the smokers are quitting, the percentage getting lower each year- and obesity going up at the same time!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Sure makes you think.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by Cuervo

I was having fun.So I edited the post.My point is no matter what we do we are all going to die.

True, the mortality rate is 100% in Every generation.
Nothing changes that fact, live "Right", exercise - die anyway.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I smoke...big deal. I happen to "like" it.

I am in my "upper" 40's, 6'-3 and 190 pounds. I am not Obese or even "fat"...I am out of shape because I sit at a desk all day and work my brain and not the brawn. I know smoking is bad for me. I know it will probably kill me one day. I also know I could get hit by a truck, struck by lightning, catch a fatal dose of the flu...etc...etc...etc.

I do not pretend to think I am going to live forever. I do not pretend tothink the ancient years...80-and 90's will be pleasant for me or those caretakers willing to put up with me. Why bother? My kids are grown and well on their way to solid and productive careers. Why would I want to become a burden to them...because someone says that is what you are supposed to do?

I'll live my life as I please and when my number comes up, a smoker or not...I am out of here...just like everyone else. Choose to LIVE free and enjoy life here and now...the dieing part is going to happen whether you like it or not.

join