It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European Space Agency Discovers 'Striking' Ancient River on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This is pretty cool. Looks like at one time this river was really flowing > I wonder if there are any weird things "down by the river" very cool pictures anyway!

This is near where the Gale Crater that the rover is exploring.

Link for pictures and info www.usnews.com...
edit on 19-1-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

I did another search and notice some one posted info on this but, did not use same title from article or River on Mars (which I used) on well. Thats why it never came up when I typed "River On Mars" in search. Damn!

here :
Latest announcement discovery update of Mars from ESA : www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 19-1-2013 by RUFFREADY because: its crazy man!!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
If there were rivers on mars , what has happened to the water?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

You could just look at the 1st page of the forum? www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

I did. After I posted
. I usually do that but, I was on my 1st cup of coffee. Anywho, The End.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It's been a long time since I started ignoring these kind of "discoveries". I say to all space agencies, show me the water running thru before you call it river. For now, they only were able to show dust and rocks. That means :

- Lots of money wasted while more and more people become homeless and starve to dead right here in this planet.

- They already found what they were looking for, but showing us boring pics.

Meanwhile.....they keep the money flowing. Mars gold is on planet Earth taxpayers.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
This is near where the Gale Crater that the rover is exploring.

Gale Crater is believed by NASA to have once been a lake or even an ancient sea. Curiosity has already found was is probably an ancient stream bed in Gale Crater.

That ancient river bed in your OP would be worth seeing, but there is enough in Gale Crater already that will probably take the lifetime of the rover to explore. Curiosity has not yet even got to its prime Gale Crater target yet -- that would be the exposed rock strata of the sides of Mt. Sharp (Mt. Sharp is now officially named "Aeolis Mons").

Aeolis Mons is in the middle of Gale Crater, and is thought to have been made by the lake/sea that may have once covered Gale Crater. NASA scientists believe Aeolis Mons is made up of the sediment that was laid down at the bottom of that sea or lake over millions an millions of years. After the water disappeared, wind erosion carved away much -- but not all -- of the sediment, once again exposing Gale Crater, but leaving behind some of that sediment as Aeolis Mons/Mt. Sharp.

EDIT TO ADD:
By the way, Curiosity and Gale Crater are more than 1500 miles away from this ancient river bed. That's way, way too far away.

edit on 1/19/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

join