It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sheepdog and the owl.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
There once was an old owl that lived in the trees at the edge of a large green pasture. After a noontime meal, he would often sit in a tree overlooking a beautiful green pasture with a flock of sheep below. He was sleepily resting when a very large, black sheepdog came to lie in the shade of the tree to avoid the hot afternoon sun.

Noticing the owl sitting in the tree above, the dog said, "Look at those stupid sheep. They have no idea how much we do for them. If it wasn't for us, they would all be eaten by the wolves in no time. They should worship us, not our master! He is never around. We control this pasture."

The old owl said, "Does it never bother you controlling and ruling them the way you do?" "Bother me? Ha, ha!", said the dog, "Fool! Without us the many predators would eat them in no time at all! We are saving them! They need us. They have no idea how much work it is controlling them! Look, they don't even realize that we control them! Ha, ha. In fact, it makes them feel more secure knowing that we are here to protect them."

"Every once in a while, some young ram full of life will try and show his prowess, but we quickly put him in his place. He doesn't try that again I can tell you.", said the sheep dog with a slight grin. "They soon learn that they are not in control here, we are.", he said sternly.

The owl said to the sheep dog, "but don't you realize that you are controlled by humans the same as the sheep?" "Rubbish!, said the sheep dog, "We control this pasture! We tell the sheep where to go and when to do it, he said proudly." The old owl listened quietly and then asked after a short silence, "But you don't get to eat the tasty mutton, the humans do, is that not so? So who is really in control?"

This caused the sheep dog to fly into a rage. Showing his teeth he said to the owl, "If you were not up in that tree, I would eat you right now to show you who rules this pasture! Not humans!" The old owl chuckled at this bravado and said to the dog, "I don't fear your threats, I am not part of your silly game. That is why I spend my time alone, quietly watching this struggle from the trees. It does not concern me."

"Then why are you here?" said the dog, still angry from this affront. "To watch and to learn, just like you", said the owl. "Watching is all well and good, but power and control are what really matters! I am in control of my destiny, unlike these stupid sheep!", said the dog. The dog was still irritated at the turn in the conversation finally said, "I have to get back to work. The master will be coming soon to select a couple of lambs for his dinner. You can get back to your dreaming. I have work to do!"

The dog then returned to the field, angrily snapping at the heels of a couple of lambs straying too far from the flock. The old owl then returned to his watching and to his afternoon dreaming.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Thanks hey. That actually made me feel better.

Aesop has nothing on you. Genius.

edit- so hard not to be concerned though. Pretty sure I am a ram. Not an owl.
edit on 19-1-2013 by HenryNorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wanderer112358

What a disfunctional story!
Me being somewhat of a self proclaimed dog expert knows something you don't apparently.
The sheepdog, doesn't really realize that he is not a sheep!!!
That's right or he/she believes the sheep are dogs!
The sheepdog loves its pack and does what he/she does for the wellbeing of the PACK.
Separate the dog from his/her sheep and the dog becomes frantic and grief striken.
So I don't think the dog could ever view the sheep in that way knowing that dogs are one of the few animals on this planet that show unconditional love.
Story does not make sense when viewed from a logical point of view.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by HenryNorris
Thanks hey. That actually made me feel better.

Aesop has nothing on you. Genius.

edit- so hard not to be concerned though. Pretty sure I am a ram. Not an owl.
edit on 19-1-2013 by HenryNorris because: (no reason given)

Thank you my friend. As you can guess, I am the old owl. These political dramas mean nothing to me any more. I try to stand back, be very quiet and watch what is REALLY taking place. We only learn when we are quietly listening, not when we are talking...

It is better to be a ram than to be a sheepdog, in my view.

Peace

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Me being somewhat of a self proclaimed dog expert knows something you don't apparently.
The sheepdog loves its pack and does what he/she does for the wellbeing of the PACK.
Separate the dog from his/her sheep and the dog becomes frantic and grief striken.
So I don't think the dog could ever view the sheep in that way knowing that dogs are one of the few animals on this planet that show unconditional love.

As you wish said the old owl.

The reason it makes no sense to you, is because you are a sheepdog. Or want to be.

What the old owl said didn't make sense to him either...
edit on 19-1-2013 by Wanderer112358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
snky
edit on 19-1-2013 by AussieAmandaC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC
I have heard this before...

Is (?) it rude of me to add....

"and the trees, the dirt, the water, the air and the numerous unnamed things, watched on.........and thought.........
ALL are transient....so bothered.........not at all...."

I promise you, I plagiarized no one. But, this truth can be said many different ways, by many different people. Would it not be more useful to consider the ideas given than to question the merits of the messenger? Your choice though.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Notice that few desire to view themselves as a sheepdog, but many are in some way for their own selfish reasons...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

edit on 19-1-2013 by AussieAmandaC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wanderer112358
Notice that few desire to view themselves as a sheepdog, but many are in some way for their own selfish reasons...
Funny you see yourself as the Owl.
Most women who believe in Re-incarnation , ALL, BELIEVE they were Joan of Arc in another Life,Men Believe they were Casanova.
No one will tell you they were the Piss Boy , holding a Bucket, for the King.

Its called Delusion of Grandeur. Welcome to it.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

A sheepdog, doesn't really have in depth conversations with owls - It's a Metaphor.

The sheepdog is the Military/Police/TSA

The Humans are the Bankers/Politicians/Royalty

The Owl is the Awakened/Enlightened

Chillax!

edit on 19-1-2013 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Funny you see yourself as the Owl.
Most women who believe in Re-incarnation , ALL, BELIEVE they were Joan of Arc in another Life,Men Believe they were Casanova.
No one will tell you they were the Piss Boy , holding a Bucket, for the King.

Its called Delusion of Grandeur. Welcome to it.

Are we not what we believe ourselves to be? Do we not manifest our own reality?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077

The sheepdog, doesn't really have in depth conversations with owls - It's a Metaphor.

Chillax!

Yes thank you.

I also see the sheepdogs as corporate managers, school teachers, politicians, and the wealthy.

No one believes they are sheep. A few are very proud to be seen as sheepdogs though.

Thanks for the post.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

A sheepdog, doesn't really have in depth conversations with owls - It's a Metaphor.

Chillax!

edit on 19-1-2013 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

I understood this when i read it.
I also know that the sheepdog is the best chance the herd has at surviving.
Look at the sheepdogs around the US proclaiming that they will not press any federal gun ban.
The sheepdogs are on our side, just because there are a few wolves in sheepdogs clothing does not mean we should flee the pen.
We should just snoop out the bad ones and replace em with a real sheepdog.

And to the OP you are correct, I am a sheepdog and I will eat any threat to the pack/herd.
Just like any other true sheepdog will when needed, it's in our dna.
(Edit)
I did star you on your comment to me.
Poor wise old owl did not realize in the OP that he was speaking to a wolf in sheeps clothing.
No dog ever wishes to harm the pack.
edit on 19-1-2013 by g146541 because: to add.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
A truth is a truth no matter the means used to present it.

I do enjoy truths no matter how they sting, for knowing that they exist at all reassures me that there is very little control to be exercised on a mind aware of such truths. Control exists first in the mind then in the body. Change the mind and the body will follow suit.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I understood this when i read it.
I also know that the sheepdog is the best chance the herd has at surviving.
Look at the sheepdogs around the US proclaiming that they will not press any federal gun ban.
The sheepdogs are on our side, just because there are a few wolves in sheepdogs clothing does not mean we should flee the pen.
We should just snoop out the bad ones and replace em with a real sheepdog.

And to the OP you are correct, I am a sheepdog and I will eat any threat to the pack/herd.
Just like any other true sheepdog will when needed, it's in our dna.

To quote the old owl, "I am not part of your silly game."

As the owl said, are you not controlled and used just like the sheep?
edit on 19-1-2013 by Wanderer112358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by W0mbat
A truth is a truth no matter the means used to present it.

I do enjoy truths no matter how they sting, for knowing that they exist at all reassures me that there is very little control to be exercised on a mind aware of such truths. Control exists first in the mind then in the body. Change the mind and the body will follow suit.

Yes. VERY well said.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Thanks for explaining your point of view. We need more "Sheepdogs" so to speak, like you.

Unfortunately too many take the George Orwell "Animal Farm" Route. Pigs will walk on two legs to please their masters.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC
I have heard this before...

Is (?) it rude of me to add....

"and the trees, the dirt, the water, the air and the numerous unnamed things, watched on.........and thought.........
ALL are transient....so bothered.........not at all...."

I promise you, I plagiarized no one. But, this truth can be said many different ways, by many different people. Would it not be more useful to consider the ideas given than to question the merits of the messenger? Your choice though.

Crap! If the messenger does not announce his intentions I would no more let him in the door than if my teenage daughter thought she wanted to die with him.

Is this your wisdom filled story then? How is it I have heard it before?

sorry....what merrit have you? or what merrit do you wish me to see?

I see a story that shows species defining them selves above another, again, a wild animal farm, be an animal if you wish, but know it continues on without you no matter what....just sayin'.

I know that story from childhood....call me liar.......

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

reply to post by g146541

Thanks for explaining your point of view. We need more "Sheepdogs" so to speak, like you.

Unfortunately too many take the George Orwell "Animal Farm" Route. Pigs will walk on two legs to please their masters.

classic rest my case

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join