It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Predictions from the last 6 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
In 2006, www.2012predictions.net was set up to record predictions from many different sources about 2012. It included political and social predictions as well as from other sources such as astronomy and New Age. It is a privately funded enterprise and has no commercial links. It carries no advertisements apart from links to other sites of interest - no monies were received for doing this.

The data does not pretend to be scientifically based - obviously not every prediction that was ever made about 2012 is included in the website, and some topics have far more predictions than others.

The topics on the website and percentages of predictions which appear to have been correct are as follows (the remainder were either incorrect, impossible to verify, subjective or are ongoing). Many "correct" predictions in non-political, non-social and non-economic topics are those which say the world will not end. Incorrect predictions in political, social and economic topics are often un-met targets and postponed or cancelled projects - of which there were many.

Maya-related (including predictions from "experts"): 54%
New Age: 0%
Individuals' dreams and predictions: 4%
Predictions relating to extraterrestrials: 0%
Religion: 22%
Astrology (mostly that nothing will happen): 60%
Astronomy and space: 30%
Health: 15%
Environment: 23%
Media, science and technology: 34%
London Olympic Games: 28%
Politics, social and economic - world: 13%
Politics, social and economic - different individual countries: 30%
Politics, social and economic - USA: 16%
Politics, social and economic - UK: 30%
Politics, social and economic - India: 10%

So what might be learned from this exercise?

- The human race is not very good at making accurate predictions, even when they themselves are in charge of making those things happen.
- There seems to be a lot more "news" about what MIGHT happen, rather than what actually does happen. Much of the former is sensationalist.
- Never believe everything you read, see or hear about.

So, no earth-shattering conclusions there!

If you want to see the predictions in detail, go to 2012 Predictions

AND PLEASE NOTE! THE WEBSITE BE REMOVED FROM THE INTERNET ON FRIDAY 15TH FEBRUARY WHEN THE HOSTING RUNS OUT.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
As 2012 came and went with nothing happening. Nothing of note I noticed anyway, the main prediction concerning this that came to mind was that of John Titor. Titor said nothing happened.

That is generally covered in the above post, but I'm sure John Titor(hoax or not) had some part to play in what we did experience happening.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jax11

You copied the whole page

You shouldn't do that without adding your own thoughts or ideas. Speaking of which, I have no idea what this is all about or why you started this thread. Could you try to condense what it is you're trying to impart in your OWN words?
I come to ATS to read real people's views not some websites'. Ya know?
Thanks

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

The website was set up and done entirely by me. All the work is my own, so I think it's OK to copy the page. I added the website link so anyone who was interested could check out some of the predictions I collected.

Basically the whole aim of the website was to see which predictions actually came true. They've been collected over 6 years.

edit on 19-1-2013 by Jax11 because: I forgot to add something.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jax11

The website was set up and done entirely by me. All the work is my own, so I think it's OK to copy the page. I added the website link so anyone who was interested could check out some of the predictions I collected.

Basically the whole aim of the website was to see which predictions actually came true. They've been collected over 6 years.

You may have wanted t to add that in your op. I wonder why you left that tiny detail out.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Sorry. I guess I thought it was implied but it's probably not.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The analysis extremely flawed. It lumps together predictions that everything will be normal with predictions that 2012 will be apocalyptic, then throws in some hopeful business projections that just happen to set 2012 as a target. The apocalyptic predictions were all 100% wrong, and the "predictions" that nothing out of the ordinary would happen 100% right. As for Bigelow not having orbital hotels... well. that was just corporate bluster.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Good work
I understand the life of running a website, especially the labor of love that is never intended to make money. You've got to really be passionate about it.

My last reply on this topic touched on Titor and this will too, in a way.

I think "nothing happened" because simply being aware of the prediction changed it. That is the best way to change the future right? Tell them what will happen if they stay the course.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I see. You may want to exercise your 'edit to add' option so others will know this too. Had I known that I would've scanned the page with a more opened attitude. I will peruse it again though. Thanks for sharing

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

You are of course right, and I say as much in my OP - that it is not pretending to be a scientific survey. Nevertheless I think it is interesting to see how many targets are not met, as well as how many people who are convinced they are right, are actually wrong.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by almostrambo

I must admit I had never heard of Titor. Looked up the website dedicated to him, and found this about 2012:

In my 2012, I was 14 years old spending most of my time living, running and hiding in the woods and rivers of central Florida. The civil war was in its 7th year and the world war was three years away. Yes, there are unusual events in 2012 but they do not cause the world to end. Unfortunately, I have decided not to discuss events that you or I can do anything about. It is important that they be a surprise. Perhaps you are familiar with the story of the Red Sea and the Egyptians?

I am not at all sure what he was alluding to.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Thanks for your understanding. I did try to edit it, but apparently it is not possible to do so after four hours have elapsed.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Sorry but my calendar says it is 2013.

Not sure of your point bringing up the past.....

In this instance, the past turned out to be just normal, also suggesting the future will track along normal too.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

It's just a review. We can always learn from the past, I think.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I certainly appreciate your summation. Regardless of whether the simple analysis you provide is what others would have done as DJW01 has pointed out, I do that you for providing a last look at 2012.

There were many passionate supporters of 2012 such as Human_Alien that wonder why old stuff has to be dredged up. The answer is that we can learn from mistakes. Most of 2012 was a mistake. People fell for outlandish and wacko ideas. Supporters were loud then and quiet now.

If people can learn why these predictions were outlandish and stood zero chance of being correct, then they might not fall for such claims in the future.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

reply to post by magma

It's just a review. We can always learn from the past, I think.

We can learn from the past that is true.

But what exactly can we learn from failed predictions?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

Simply not to rely on any future ones.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Thank you. That is also my view, but also I think it is interesting to think about why sociologically and psychologically people want/need to believe in predictions - perhaps it just comes down to a hope for a better future.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The prediction last for 6 years? I didn't know when it started. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
One of the interesting things I learned about looking into 2012 was that a significant number of people will NOT believe something if it comes from a source that they deem to be an authority. It can be a n individual or an organization. They choice to take a contrary position.

Example:
1. NASA says a new and large comet has been discovered.
2. NASA is identified as an authority.
3. The contrary position is that NASA is not telling the whole story on the comet.
4. Someone identifies the comet as a danger
5. The contrary position is that the person claiming danger is not an authority must be truthful
6. The person latches onto the danger story
7. NASA posts a trajectory showing the comet never comes close to the Earth
8. That someone who claimed danger simply says NASA is lying
9. The contrary position is to reject the NASA trajectory since NASA is identified as an authority

Although the comet does follow the posted trajectory, although that trajectory predicted the path of the comet accurately, although NASA's predictions have a long history of accuracy, NASA is not believed by those ascribing to the contrary position.

The rejection based on being labeled or identified as an authority is not rare. It happened all through the 2012 threads. It is a situation to recognize. In future debates it is important for those presenting factual and relevant material to understand that some posters will reject that material simply because it comes from a responsible and trusted source. These same posters will accept without hesitation ideas from untrustable sources that are often 100% wrong.

new topics

top topics

join