My Adventures in the Real World: Why I've Been So Quiet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+16 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hey ATS.

Some have noticed that, over the past two or three weeks, I've gone relatively silent on ATS. I know this to be true because I've gotten a few very touching messages asking if I am OK. It's extremely nice when folks notice when you're not around! I suppose there are also a few folks who have been happy I've shut-up lately! To them, I say "You're welcome!"

I guess I owe the community an update - at least those who care to read one. I logged on tonight with the intention of posting this to the moderators only forum - but, then, decided that it's probably a better fit here. So here goes nothing...

A few weeks back I began to notice that my left foot was swelling up. After a few days it flat out ballooned. It's scary when your foot swells up so much that you cannot put your shoes on. But it's a totally different thing when the swelling gets so bad that you can't even get a sock on. That's exactly what happened in my case. Both feet had swollen, but the left one was like elephantiasis big - which scared the heck out of me.

Currently I have no health insurance, as I am in the process of getting disability. If I lived in just about any other state, this would not be an issue, as I'd have access to medical care regardless, in one form or another. But I happen to live in the great state of Georgia - where social services barely exist. Google it, our Governor actually takes pride in the fact that he'd rather pay the Federal government a ton of fines, for not following the law, than to actually offer the services that the government says he has to. It's rather bizarre, but that's life. Given my situation, the best I could do was wander over to WebMD and type my symptoms in. That didn't work in my favor...

According to WebMD there are two possibilities - heart failure or diabetes. Needless to say, this got my attention in a HUGE way.

A bit more research showed me that another possibility was that I was sitting too much. In fact even if WebMD were right - being physically active would possibly help to alleviate the severity of diabetes and heart disease too. So it was a no brainer for me... The answer was to stop sitting here and to get active!

That's what I did. That's why I've been offline.

To be honest... it only took a day or two for me to also realize that I'd gotten myself way too emotionally invested in some of the topics I tend to debate on ATS as well. There is a price to be paid for the one who cares about something that other people tend to treat as a throwaway commodity. Bluntly put - being highly invested in a website that tends to attract its fair share of trolls is not a healthy thing. I allowed myself to get too involved and I think that my physical and mental health were worse for it. So the swollen feet thing was a blessing in disguise as it's allowing me to also regain my focus and my center where ATS is concerned. Don't misunderstand. I still love this site and this community. I have no desire to "check out". But I did need to take a step back... to get away and have a bit of fresh air, as it were.

When I return, in the coming days, it will be in a much more positive and productive state of mind.

The good news, regarding my health, is that I do have a lawyer handling my case. That lawyer has promised me that she will get me access to a doctor in the coming week or two, come Hell or high water. A promise that has alleviated a ton of stress from my mind.

That, friends, is why I've been away. I still log in every day or three - to check my messages and take a peek at the moderators forum. I'm still not convinced that I need to open up any threads - as I don't want to get sucked back in to the really disturbing and stressful conversations. But, rest assured, I'll be back here, fighting the good fight, very very soon.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Glad to see you're back. I can't wait to read the confused posts from our UK members, though. "No healthcare? Does not compute".

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Glad to see you back, Heff. Hey, listen, don't go too crazy with any diagnosis from WebMD. I've tried it several times, for myself and at the request of friends. That site hasn't been right yet.

I typed in the youtube search, 'Why are my feet swollen' and it came up with 3,250 results. Maybe one of them has your answer - maybe not. Just pointing out how you can't trust anything on line when it comes to your physical well-being.

Hope you get better soon.

Jiggerj

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Sorry to hear that Heff! Good news is that once you get a lawyer involved the process moves a lot more quickly, so you should be able to seek treatment very soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and hopefully we will see you around soon!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about the swelling and all that, are you going to be ok? You just remove my posts so I like you, dotn want anything bad to happen to yah

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
You've been missed and I had wondered what had been keeping you busy elsewhere. I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues and especially the technical problems preventing quick basic treatment. That's terrible. It's good to see ya back though and I hope with your attorney you can get something done about effective care!

ATS isn't the same without ya, to be sure.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Welcome back buddy. Be active everyday and eat well. Keep yourself healthy.

Again welcome back Heff.

-SAP-

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
There are other things besides just the diabetes and heart failure possibilities - so - it's good that you'll have it checked.

There should be mandatory vacation for moderators and users as well.

Get well, come back refreshed and with a fresh new daily routine that includes quality time for yourself and your health.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
What a guy!

You make my day... often Heff so I hope your days keep getting better as well! Love your spirit and strength. Wishing you some good mojo from this Montana mountain gal!

Sisu you have it!
edit on 1/18/2013 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
You know what they say about guys with big feet.

They say that they got big feet.

.....but seriously, I wish you health and happiness.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I wondered what happened to you.I thought maybe you got post-banned or something.
Sorry to hear it was much worst.
I think the staff should maybe pitch in and buy you one one these computer-threadmill thingys.

Take care of your self,man.

Peace,
Kev

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I'm sorry to hear you're having health issues. I hope you get well soon.

The first thing that came to my mind when you described your symptoms was that it might be gout.

My father had this condition, as well as ulcers and eventually kidney failure.

Possibly changing your diet might help also.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Good to see you again Heff. You take care of yourself and keep us posted on how you're doing.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Welcome back Heff
Missed your posts, hope all goes wel buddy

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I had noticed you went quiet but thought you were just taking a mental break as we all seem to need that once in a while, even mods. Very sorry to hear that you have those health issues and hope you'll get better soon.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Good luck Heff. Your health should always come before making a point on a website. I hope everything is resolved for you very soon and you can get the treatment that you need.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
And, if you need a size sixteen boot to go over that grossly swollen foot, say the word! I've a few spare pair around. And the other one from the pair you could take to lake lanier and rent out...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well did your swelling go down?? Was it worth being away from us? I think you need to move, and get a laptop and a recliner, solves several problems right there. I refuse to accept it is your heart or diabetes, you already have more than your fair share of doo da piled up on your plate! Could it be side effects from meds?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I like you Heff.I just have to comment on your title though bro....real world......lol......this world has transitioned into any thing but real...And this website even though I am wasting my time here as well is not real either it's all for our entertainment to keep us asleep from the real horror,oh yeah we probably got like 6 months before the USD sinks below recovery rate.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Hope your foot gets better man....glad to see ya back around

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join