It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man shopping with Assault Rifle Strapped to his Back at Utah J.C. Penney

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

A republic is a government that represents the people, so it is representative democracy. (not that I think it works the way it should)

What makes that too simple?

BTW off topic but the USSR was also a republic, not "communist". Communism is an economic system which they did not practice.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Since when has this country ever been a "representative democracy" ? all I have seen from Washington is crap rolling down hill.

I never claimed it worked as advertised. It is technically a representative democracy because you vote for people to represent you in government. Otherwise it is a dictatorship.

True democracy though should be direct, because representative can so easily corrupted.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

you very own link specifies that the type of "republic" the ussr practiced and the type of "republic" the us practice is very different, your very own link defines how that word has very many definitions, lumping them all together wont achieve anything

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Did you miss the part of "Constitutional" Republic?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Since when has this country ever been a "representative democracy" ? all I have seen from Washington is crap rolling down hill.

I never claimed it worked as advertised. It is technically a representative democracy because you vote for people to represent you in government. Otherwise it is a dictatorship.

True democracy though should be direct, because representative can so easily corrupted.

sadly so can majority opinion so easily be corrupted. we see it now, democracy is insanity

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye

Originally posted by ANOK

america is a republic

A republic IS a representative democracy.

Why do so many not know that?

A distinct set of definitions for the word republic evolved in the United States. In common parlance a republic is a state that does not practice direct democracy but rather has a government indirectly controlled by the people.

en.wikipedia.org...
that is drasticly over simplifieing it, the idea of THIS republic is that no majority vote can change its base, that being the constitution, as in, it dont freakin matter if the majority of americans dislike the 2nd ammendmendt it isnt going anywhere, that would be this idea of a republic, as your very own 'wikipedia' link states it has very many different varied definitions

Its a Republic.

But.......

Government operates as representative democracy, through Congress. Democracy and republic overlaps....

"I subscribe to the principle, that the will of the majority honestly expressed should give law." --Thomas Jefferson

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
reply to post by ANOK

Did you miss the part of "Constitutional" Republic?

of course he did, people in disagreement with portions or all of the constitution do not have it in mind when it ought to be.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

True democracy is nothing but mob rule and morons claiming "the needs of the many outweigh the one".

and punishing all for things they have not done as in there was 1 James Holmes and that mob is trying to make the rest of us responsible for something we did not do.

link   

sadly so can majority opinion so easily be corrupted. we see it now, democracy is insanity

Of course it can, and it has been. Also your feds don't respect state rights, and the peoples vote, as for example prop 215 in California.

Why do you think so many support capitalism against their own best interest?

link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

"I subscribe to the principle, that the will of the majority honestly expressed should give law." --Thomas Jefferson

i disagree that the majority's will is being honestly expressed

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

i disagree that the majority's will is being honestly expressed

I do to.

The Hybridization of our Republic, would have turned the Founders graves. We are a Republic, but its not our Founders Republic.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Which is exactly why it's even more appropriate at this point in time to be exhibiting those rights

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So what do you suggest a dictatorship?

Democracy is not Mob rule, all forms of democracy have inbuilt safeguards to prevent the tyranny of a minority.

One thing that is above democracy, and we have no control over is the capitalist economic system. That is the real dictatorship, an economic dictatorship. All this focus on government when the reason we have the government we do is because of the economic system we have. We will never have true democracy in a capitalist economy. The government tends to represent those with the most wealth rather than the voters. But that is not the fault of government, it's the fault of the capitalist system. Mass inequality that allows a minority class to rule over the majority because of their economic power.

That is tyranny of the majority.

edit on 1/19/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Snip
edit on 19-1-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

So you're saying that the country has become like those old westerns, where everyone in town carries a firearm so that they can protect themselves from outlaws? Is that your view of it? Didn't we escape from that scenario by having police departments run by citizens in our towns and neighborhoods?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

True democracy is nothing but mob rule and morons claiming "the needs of the many outweigh the one".

and punishing all for things they have not done as in there was 1 James Holmes and that mob is trying to make the rest of us responsible for something we did not do.

Thank holy jeebus, someone else mentioned this as well....I keep busting balls in my family about how this gun control is bull#, and the answer isn't more laws, but harsher punishments...Life is about personal responsibility. Why should I be held accountable for actions I didn't even take part in....Like Driver's Licenses....Why should I need one to 'prove I'm legit', when I haven't disproven that either...

It's like saying "Hey bro! You committed murder, but we are gonna put the charge and punishment on this totally unrelated fella over here..."

Are you kidding me?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by trysts
I would rather the country not look like Somalia, so I don't think I'm for this kind of protest. And it is a protest. I think there are better things to protest than the right to carry firearms to J.C. Penney. I don't believe most of the people all pissed off about the second amendment are in fear of the government. I think they're in love with the power of having a firearm.

I sense there are some people on this thread with serious problems. I won't get into specifics but I will give a hint.

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

--Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis (1952)
Link

That wasn't a nice thing to say.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

But that is nonsense. Just ridiculous word play.

What does the word republic mean? It means of public matter, or something like that. It means a government that represents the public will. How can it do that if it's not a representative democracy?

Do you not get to vote?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by trysts

That wasn't a nice thing to say

I agree!

Damn that Sigmund Freud!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by streetfightingman
reply to post by Grimpachi

Which is exactly why it's even more appropriate at this point in time to be exhibiting those rights

I totally agree here however I am sorry I even brought up the subject because this thread has turned into a squabble over whether it is a democracy or republic. In actuality it is both and more than that. We are not a true form of either though. We are social democracy governed under a republic. I love it even though it has its flaws. It is the best system in the world but there is room for improvement and it has been corrupted from the inside but I have faith that it can be fixed.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join