It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man shopping with Assault Rifle Strapped to his Back at Utah J.C. Penney

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mademyself1984

It's not an assault rifle. Figure this # out or stop commenting on it.

I read about you NRA types pushing this crap. So, what IS an assault rifle? It's a rifle, and it's got the large clip, and it's semi-automatic, and it's light and designed for using in a combat situation - or at least it is physically designed to the same shape and weight as other rifles that are and have been used as combat assault rifles.

So, what's the difference between it and what you think is an assault rifle? The modification that will allow it to be fully automatic? If that's all, then how do you know that the rifle in the photo isn't modified? Is that your gun? Is that you in that photo?

Semantics is bullsh*t, and 98% of the American public knows exactly what these kinds of non-sporting rifles are all about. It seems that only folks like you are getting confused over the issue.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by amkia
Seeing this picture of an obvious redneck carrying a military grade assault weapon in shopping centre among ”normal citizens”, then let me congratulate and welcome you all Americans for going “backward” to 18-19 century again. Tell me, why do you pay for police and security forces for then?

Today is the “right to bear arms”, tomorrow is the “right to bear dynamite” if someone attacks somewhere with “explosives”..?

SMH

Let me ask you this when was the last time you remember a police officer stopping a home invasion or murder? Police respond to crimes they are a reaction force in most instances the crime has already been committed. What makes you think there is a cop or security officer on every corner street?

When exactly did you realize that you can’t fit a cop into your pocket? Did you just now realize that?

When did the constitution guarantee the right to bear dynamite?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mademyself1984

Well, laws do need to be updated with the times.

for example "It is considered an offense to open an umbrella on a street, for fear of spooking horses" in Alabama. At present if you opened an umbrella in the street, the chances theres a horse there, or that if there was that it would be spooked is a billion to one and so the law should be erased - since i doubt you would be arrested for doing so anyway.

Im not going to go into how the 2nd should (or should not) be altered. But at the time the constitution was written there were less police to protect the people and far far slower response times to calls for help, this is a fact.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Holy crap!

JC Penny is still around?

And people still shop there?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I agree with you on a lot of things but an assault rifle is either fully automatic or three round burst capable it has nothing to do with how it looks.

There are people who are trying to change the definition in society to fit what you just described please do not fall for that.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Originally posted by spiritualzombie

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by spiritualzombie

If it's a right then yes exercising it should always be good. That's kinda the point behind a 'right'. Any 'right'.

Exercising a right is not always the right thing to do.

Agreed, it's a personal decision though and that's where the freedom comes in, the personal choice to exercise a right in which this country was founded on. I stated previously that this isn't something that I myself would do, but I do support the mans right to do what he pleases within the law, even if it isn't popular, that's when your rights are needed most, when doing something unpopular. I don't agree with what many people say, but I do support their right to say it under the 1st amendment.

I support the man's right to have whatever gun he wants. I support the open carry right. I don't support his dick-move decision to carry assault rifle around on his back in a store full of people who are just shopping.

He's a dick. Quit supporting dickish behavior.

I support a woman's right to choose. Does that mean exercising the right to have an abortion is ALWAYS the BEST course of action? Hell no. This mentality that one should always exercise their rights is messed up. It's so blind.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Seeing this picture of an obvious redneck carrying a military grade assault weapon in shopping centre among ”normal citizens”, then let me congratulate and welcome you all Americans for going “backward” to 18-19 century again. Tell me, why do you pay for police and security forces for then?

Today is the “right to bear arms”, tomorrow is the “right to bear dynamite” if someone attacks somewhere with “explosives”..?

SMH

Police aren't there to protect you, they work for the state and since they can't be everywhere at once are reactionary by nature, something bad happens, victim calls it in (if they're lucky) officers are directed to the job by dispatch and respond. Unfortunately many times, too late.

It isn't the job of the police to protect myself and my family, that's my job and I'm proactive, not reactive in doing it.

It must suck to be such a frightened person that you need to carry a gun to feel safe. You must feel danger everywhere. Like it's a plague that you'll never really survive. That gun must feel like the warm hand of your father in yours as when you were a little boy and your dad could beat up the whole world if he had to. What a sad state of mind you must be in if you can't even psychologically deal with the excruciating terror of what the rest of us see as a pretty damn boring world filled with moms and kids and dads just trying to get by from day to day. I hate to think of what it must look like to you when you leave your home and have to actually walk among the rest of us.

I wonder what your wife really thinks about how frightened and emotionally vulnerable you are? Not that she'd ever say. Hell, maybe you've got her terrified too. Man, what a tragedy.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
So what, it is a guy exercising his Rights.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

I agree with you on a lot of things but an assault rifle is either fully automatic or three round burst capable it has nothing to do with how it looks.

There are people who are trying to change the definition in society to fit what you just described please do not fall for that.

But, the truth is that by looking at the thing, you can't tell me that it doesn't shoot in bursts. Mechanically, that capability can be enabled fairly easily with these kinds of rifles. And with a 30+ round clip, what's the real difference between a semi-auto and a three round burst? I mean, what real distinction exists in a mass murder or firefight where a single round firing sequence is most often the obvious best choice anyway. Like I said, semantics is bullsh*t and 98% of us know exactly what we mean when we use the term "assault rifle". A rifle that is physically appropriate for nothing but shooting human beings in an assault or in defense of an assault. Anyone who hunts deer with one of these things is just playing Rambo in the woods and we all know it.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

SMH

Police aren't there to protect you, they work for the state and since they can't be everywhere at once are reactionary by nature, something bad happens, victim calls it in (if they're lucky) officers are directed to the job by dispatch and respond. Unfortunately many times, too late.

It isn't the job of the police to protect myself and my family, that's my job and I'm proactive, not reactive in doing it.

It must suck to be such a frightened person that you need to carry a gun to feel safe. You must feel danger everywhere. Like it's a plague that you'll never really survive. That gun must feel like the warm hand of your father in yours as when you were a little boy and your dad could beat up the whole world if he had to. What a sad state of mind you must be in if you can't even psychologically deal with the excruciating terror of what the rest of us see as a pretty damn boring world filled with moms and kids and dads just trying to get by from day to day. I hate to think of what it must look like to you when you leave your home and have to actually walk among the rest of us.

I wonder what your wife really thinks about how frightened and emotionally vulnerable you are? Not that she'd ever say. Hell, maybe you've got her terrified too. Man, what a tragedy.

Cool story bro! The reality is violence happens, I've witnessed when I served, I witnessed it when I was a corrections Officer. I have flood insurance on my home, I don't spend everyday fearing a flood, I also have smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher , I'm not in constant fear that my home will burn down. Your logic is flawed. A firearm is a tool like anything else, stop projecting your fears and inadequacies. I hope nothing violent happens to you in this lifetime, but if its about to I'm sure you'll call men in uniform with guns to rush to your rescue, if you don't , your wife will.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Mechanically, that capability can be enabled fairly easily with these kinds of rifles.

Got any evidence to back that claim?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mademyself1984

I couldn’t agree with you more. When are people going to realize that the constitution is something to uphold not infringe upon.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

But, the truth is that by looking at the thing, you can't tell me that it doesn't shoot in bursts. Mechanically, that capability can be enabled fairly easily with these kinds of rifles. And with a 30+ round clip, what's the real difference between a semi-auto and a three round burst? I mean, what real distinction exists in a mass murder or firefight where a single round firing sequence is most often the obvious best choice anyway. Like I said, semantics is bullsh*t and 98% of us know exactly what we mean when we use the term "assault rifle". A rifle that is physically appropriate for nothing but shooting human beings in an assault or in defense of an assault. Anyone who hunts deer with one of these things is just playing Rambo in the woods and we all know it.

I just realized that you have absolutely no clue as to what you're talking about.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Mechanically, that capability can be enabled fairly easily with these kinds of rifles.

Got any evidence to back that claim?

No , only logical and reasonable people use silly things like evidence. I'm sure he's cool simply using emotion! lol

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
I am ok with responsible people carrying weapons. Its their right to do so, regardless if you are painting them as "whack jobs".

Yeah, and they sure as he!! better have gone through a strict background check to make sure they're that responsible person you claim them to be. And they better be prepared to be stopped and be checked to make sure they have the permit for that gun.

Seriously - how do we distinguish a guy going shopping with an assault rifle strapped to his back to make a point and "stay safe", and a guy going shopping with an assault rifle strapped to his back to go on a killing spree? Call me silly, but I'd want to err on the side of caution in that instance.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I know quite a bit about these rifles and you couldn’t be more wrong. These weapons are not easily converted to fully automatic and as far as looks go I can show you some fully automatics that look like regular hunting rifles. What you are describing is a fear of how something looks. It is the same as assuming that all Ford Mustangs are hotrods even the 4 cylinders because of looks.

The term used to be assault style rifles and somewhere in the last few years’ people and the MSM dropped the style from the description I will not redefine the term and what do you propose we start calling the real assault rifles now? Maybe we can start calling them “really scary assault rifles”?

As far as magazine size if I can be trusted with one bullet then I can be trusted with a thousand same with magazine size.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
The world that right wing conservatives want is such a reptilian blood lust hateful little ignorant world.

They want their little assault rifle patriots walking around, feeling proud spreading fear, while they spew hatred about foreigners, trying suppress women's rights, while insisting on their own right to walk around shopping malls with assault rifles strapped to their backs... And then when it comes to politics, war is always a yes, environment is always a no, they rather let the sick die from lack of healthcare, let poor people starve, and insist teachers get paid too much...

They are kind of the embarrassing ignorant slime of the country.

And look at the kind of vomitous stuff they will defend. A dude with an assault rifle and a handgun walking around a store like a fanatical douche bag. These are the battles they fight!

Not peace, not environment, not education, not healthcare.... F-ing assault rifles strapped to your back while shopping.

This is why a Republican is NOT in office.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
This is the only crime I have seen where assault rifles were used.

There is a reason they are called assault rifles and I garuntee the police here will tell you it has nothing to do with how they look. Can anyone guess what made them assault rifles?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
So what happens when another law abiding citizen carrying a gun spots this guy in the car park pulling out his rifle and spare clips from the boot of his car and thinks he's just spotted a guy about to go on a shooting spree and shoots him?

Oh the irony, it burns.

Exactly why civilians shouldn't be allowed to open carry assault rifles. In this story everyone felt uneasy about being near this guy.

When 2 gun-loving constitionists have a firefight with their AR-15s they will cause the one thing they are trying to avoid.

Gun ownership, fine. Concealed carry, sure why not. Open carry of AR-15s? C'mon, that's just asking for trouble.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Cool story bro! The reality is violence happens, I've witnessed when I served, I witnessed it when I was a corrections Officer. I have flood insurance on my home, I don't spend everyday fearing a flood, I also have smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher , I'm not in constant fear that my home will burn down. Your logic is flawed. A firearm is a tool like anything else, stop projecting your fears and inadequacies. I hope nothing violent happens to you in this lifetime, but if its about to I'm sure you'll call men in uniform with guns to rush to your rescue, if you don't , your wife will.

Just an observation...bro.

You're scared and you see them coming in your mind's eye all the time. Violent things have happened to me in my lifetime, and yet I'm still here, and I'm not scared. I served too. 8 years. So what? Lots of people have served, and lots of us grew up with criminals as friends and neighbors. Big deal. We don't get any medals for being around chaotic and dangerous situations. But we do become familiar with real threat, and we learn that real danger can't ever be prepared for. Not with a gun, that's for sure. The presence of a gun just cranks the potential for danger to become tragedy by a factor of 5 (at least) every single time. That much I do know from my own flirts with dangerous people in treacherous instances.

If you're really that "prepared" then you're frightened, and that's how it goes. I don't expect you to cop to being scared, but for the lurkers who are reading this, preppers are frightened people. That's just the truth about anyone who spends on guns and ammo and security systems and whatever else they have squirreled away in preparation for when "they" come for them.

These are terrified people who are arming themselves against an imaginary tyrannical American government or violently chaotic American society, and if you begin to indulge in that kind of fear, there's no end to the threats that you'll envision. It's your life, and you're free to do what you want with it. I prefer to enjoy the freedom that comes with not being afraid. Hell, I've survived 56 years without a weapon, and I bet that I'll get to live out my full span of life without ever getting shot because I didn't have one with me. Can't say that if I provide each scenario with the gun myself that I can safely predict that I won't, but I won't be bringing the gun with me, so that cuts down the possibility of one being used by at least 50% to start with. I like those odds.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join