It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake U. K. ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I'm showing a small 2.9 earthquake smack in the middle of the U.K. on usgs realtime map .

I don't know how to do that linking thing so this is just an alert because I'm not sure if I remember any activity around there . If mods want to delete this and let somebody go with it who knows what they're doing feel free . I would like to know if this does happen occasionally and I've just missed it though .

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I saw that on USGS myself a little while ago. While I'm sure they have some type of geologic past (or present), it did stick out to me as well. I have been watching the site daily for a few years and I can't say that I've noticed one there before, but with all of the apparent geologic activity (large quakes on major ocean ridges, the sheer number of volcanoes erupting, etc.)in the past year or so, I'm not surprised

edit on 18-1-2013 by mountaingirl1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
We have about 4000 very minor quakes per year, usualy so small we're not aware of them. I'm nearly 60 and I can only remember ever noticing one, which was just a few years ago.

I blame all the recent activity on the Fracking.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Here is the Heliplot for Grafenberg, Germany. I'm guessing by UTC to time zone there, it's the small one in the 06:00 line.

I didn't realize England had quakes often enough to think about? I guess it's just not an area that gets notable ones very often. In imagining the truly OLD structures and such there, I suppose it's actually quite rare to get a BIG one?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Thank you . I usually ignore 1s and low 2s but you should be able feel a 2.9 if you're close by . (I was raised in S. California )

I was completely unaware that there was fracking going on in the U.K. , you may have a pretty good point there .

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thudpuddy
I'm showing a small 2.9 earthquake smack in the middle of the U.K. on usgs realtime map .

I don't know how to do that linking thing so this is just an alert because I'm not sure if I remember any activity around there . If mods want to delete this and let somebody go with it who knows what they're doing feel free . I would like to know if this does happen occasionally and I've just missed it though .

You were correct

Earthquake Details This event has been reviewed by a seismologist. Magnitude 2.9 Date-Time Friday, January 18, 2013 at 05:20:44 UTC Friday, January 18, 2013 at 05:20:44 AM at epicenter Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones Location 52.800°N, 1.247°W Depth 12 km (7.5 miles) (poorly constrained) Region ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM Distances 3 km (1 miles) WNW of Coalville, United Kingdom 4 km (2 miles) ESE of Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom 9 km (5 miles) WSW of Shepshed, United Kingdom 10 km (6 miles) ESE of Swadlincote, United Kingdom Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 31.5 km (19.6 miles); depth +/- 13.6 km (8.5 miles) Parameters Nph= 0, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=1.5 sec, Gp= 0, M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=B Source Magnitude: British Geological Survey, Edinburgh, United Kingdom Location: British Geological Survey, Edinburgh, United Kingdom Event ID usb000equa

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
They happen from time to time.. The whole Earth is Earthquake prone it's nothing to be too frightened about. If they are not to common in your place of the world, doesn't mean they cannot happen.

top topics

join