Life has prospects on moons of giant extrasolar planets

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I ran accross this article today and its fascinating stuff.

We have been hearing about newly discovered planets in the habitable zones of damm near every star they look at. I never really thought about all the moons those solar systems must have.. The moons dont even have to be in the habitablt zone of the star..

The possibilities are endless.. I hope the big discovery comes in my lifetime

www.sciencenews.org...

Earth-sized moons in planetary systems trillions of miles away could be hotbeds for alien life, astronomers report in the January Astrobiology.

"It's the most thorough look at exomoon habitability I've seen," says Darren Williams, an astronomer at Penn State Erie who was not involved in the research. “I’m encouraged by the paper that we’ll find exomoons in abundance and that a fraction of them could be habitable

Perhaps the biggest obstacle to the habitability of extrasolar moons is their size. Heller and Barnes show that a moon needs to be roughly the mass of Earth to maintain an atmosphere and a magnetic field that could deflect deadly radiation from the giant planet next door. That could be a tough requirement to meet: Jupiter's moon Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system, is only 2 percent as massive as Earth
edit on 18-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

The frozen surface of Jupiter's moon Europa, as seen by NASA's Galileo spacecraft
edit on 18-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Take a look at this site and check out the habitable moons.

phl.upr.edu...

I mean,why not ,we are looking at a few moons in our own solar system.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yup.
news.nationalgeographic.com...
edit on 1/18/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thats a cool pic on that link.. I added it to the op

new topics

join