It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook new app update let them record sound & video from your phone, at any time, without your con

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6

Originally posted by sylent6
Hold the # up, how could I missed that part? ? Brb

Unfortunately, the app can't be uninstall because...its is preinstall with phone.

So therefore I need to root this junk.

OP thanks you this post.

Yes, and has anyone else noticed how the cell companies push the smart phones these days? We are all supposed to want one, and if you say you don't want one, they act all stupid about it. Had MAJOR issues with one major cell provider recently, because I will NOT update, and give them another contract, and oh, yeah, get a smart phone! Things like this move from FB show WHY they are pushing the phones so hard! Pre-installed spying apps.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
wait , ain't the whole point of permissions is so u don't get hit with pop ups all the time when trying to use features in the Facebook app? are we being a little paranoid?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
This is why I don't have a smart phone. I just don't trust that #, I suppose sooner or later there will be no "crappy phones" as people like to refer to phones made to only call and now text. At that point in time I'll be forced to catch up with modern technology. I never trusted facebook, and this just helps reconfirms why. Although I do have a facebook account still, mainly just to contact people. I like the advances in technology but this is the stuff I fear/dislike. Way too much of an invasion of privacy, no further comment on that is needed. Although if anyone wanted a stalker they can no officially say facebook stalks them (of course if they updated). Congrats!

Edit. This is the extent of my photoshop skills, skill isn't the correct word but I couldn't pass the opportunity up to use photoshop. I'm sure there's some more creative and much better but I just had to help myself.

edit on 20-1-2013 by Preacher76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Second that. It's called social engineering and digital profiling.

Just don't use it. You do not need FB or other "social networks" to communicate with friends on the Internet. Do not forget that the Internet is a public network, just like the telephone network. That means they can tap it.

US law clearly states that any data that is stored in its cloud, meaning on servers within its borders, can be accessed by the government. So basically that means you do not have any privacy. You only think you have.

Many people are not aware that they can use free tools, such as OpenPGP which encrypts your emails over public networks. Anybody can use your public key to send you encrypted messages, but only you can read the actual message with your private key.

Why give the governments your information? Don't they have enough control already?
It all adds up, just take a look at the following video. Check out the names mentioned in this video. You will be surprised.

edit on 20-1-2013 by PythonDev because: added info

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrMaybeNot
For me this is where they stepped over the line. Facebook came out with an app update today on Android and when I looked at the new permissions this version request over the previous ones, I noticed that by updating, you consent to let Facebook use your microphone and record with your camera anytime, without your confirmation. I know I won't be updating, but how many millions will?

Picture from my Android TV box: (same thing was asked on my phone)

edit on 18-1-2013 by MrMaybeNot because: resized huge pictures

edit on 18-1-2013 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

Because the update allows for speech and pictures to be sent in that chat app.

So of course it will ask for those permissions.

Did you not read the update notes?

/sigh

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I won't be updating, but how many millions will?

Exactly. Even though you don't have the app, others will film you anyway and you'll end up in the FB database.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
wow

thanks for posting

this is truly scary stuff

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I didn't read most of the posts but people do know this is facebooks new app that allows you to send vocie and video messages across facebook/ Then there the other one that allows you to call them that just cameout.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziplock9000

For me this is where they stepped over the line. Facebook came out with an app update today on Android and when I looked at the new permissions this version request over the previous ones, I noticed that by updating, you consent to let Facebook use your microphone and record with your camera anytime, without your confirmation. I know I won't be updating, but how many millions will?

/sigh

This is exactly right...you people need to chill out, it is simply asking your permission to let the APP use your microphone and camera when you want to take pictures, videos etc. It isn't anything to do with the FBI or CIA or whoever listening in on you. If you don't understand how the tech works in the first place, you probably shouldn't be commenting in this thread

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 0mage

I guess if you know that permissions are static and not dynamic then it means

1. that if you have denied Facebook permissions then you wouldn't be able to take pictures with facebook and share them because Android would deny Facebook access to the camera.

2. that based on your experience, whatever app you used to deny Facebook those permissions is not working properly ( in other words, the app you use did not do anything and this means that since you granted this app system level access to change permissions then you should look really into what this app is doing in your Android)

And I am curious, what app are you using to deny apps permissions? and could you post up output from your system log file.

Peace!
edit on 20-1-2013 by LiveEquation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziplock9000

/sigh

then why does the feature still work when i disabled that permission? try it. disable the permissions and use ur fone to do the required tasks. then tell me they dont still work.

reply to post by LiveEquation

im using a little guy called 'permissions pro'.. im certain it is working for a couple reasons..

1. my firewall monitors that app's activity and permissions and as far as i can see it does nothing illicit.

2. denying the permissions led to a sudden 100mb drop in ram usage!
edit on 20-1-2013 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
ok here is my permissions app and the facebook permissions ive blocked. it's called permissions pro and has been removed from the official app store.. but can still be found..

coarse location is disabled because i only want facebook accessing my location via gps(fine location) and not over the network. i have my reasons.

blocked 'record audio path' i have no need to record audio with facebook

my firewall blocks the app on all levels and is removed from trusted.. meaning it would give me a notification if the app tries to use anything else.

facebook.. also removed from trusted

blocked contacts access.. the ppl i want on my facebook i know how to find them, but thanks for the offer facebook.. but no thanks

once ive locked down all my apps.. i lock the permissions file with this lovely feature and reboot. this is what resulted in a 100mb drop in ram usage by the facebook app alone which was previously crossing 100mb. it now uses 27mb or thereabouts.

as mentioned before.. facebook works fine. im yet to find a feature related to the camera for the app that doesnt work.

also notice the alternative facebook app i have installed only requires 6 permissions to run.. and installs with a wopping 100kb disk usage if i remember correctly.

WHAT exactly does facebook's official app require 14+ megabytes to install for?? i have all the same features on the alternative app which i use for a seperate account. facebook's official app only has my 'special' account.

in fact.. the smaller app works better because it has the added advantage of being able to post links, that actually manifest as links on your wall with image preview.. as opposed to facebook's official app.. which posts a halfdead link in near plain text.

14+ mb for the facebook app? seriously? to do what? please.. enlighten me!

edit on 20-1-2013 by 0mage because: dave's mother had a baby

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveEquation
reply to post by 0mage

I guess if you know that permissions are static and not dynamic then it means

1. that if you have denied Facebook permissions then you wouldn't be able to take pictures with facebook and share them because Android would deny Facebook access to the camera.

2. that based on your experience, whatever app you used to deny Facebook those permissions is not working properly ( in other words, the app you use did not do anything and this means that since you granted this app system level access to change permissions then you should look really into what this app is doing in your Android)

And I am curious, what app are you using to deny apps permissions? and could you post up output from your system log file.

Peace!
edit on 20-1-2013 by LiveEquation because: (no reason given)

i dont think u realize that these permissions apply to the app itself. that the app can do these things itself.. but provides no interface for it for users. facebook can access the camera, which then is allowed to take pictures or video and upload to facebook via it's addition "media upload service". facebook itself does not take pictures or video or record audio or rather.. it shouldnt be without providing the user an interface for it.

THAT is how permissions work!

what i think they have done, is use clever wording to shadow the camera app. in effect making you believe that when you click to upload a photo or video that facebook is actually using those permissions to display and access the gallery and camera interface. but it isnt. as u can see the permission clearly states it gives facebook the ability to record the audio path or access images the camera is seeing. that means facebook is doing it.. not ur picture gallery, not ur camera app.. but facebook itself!

however.. facebook actually launches the camera app.. and then allows u to choose the photo or video from your gallery. if it was providing a video streaming option i could understand the need for DIRECT camera and record audio path access for say facebook videochat..

if facebook requires direct hardware access to these devices via this permission it isnt providing an interface for it for users to see what it's doing. and the warning is there "without your confirmation". I know what that means pertaining to android.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You are at a party and something exciting happens. Quickly you scream to your friend, "take a picture." Your friend proceeds to ask, "can I use your camera to take the picture?" Your response ... ?

It's how permissions work you losers.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This conversation reminds me of old people and computers. If you are not willing to learn about them you shoudl reconsider using them. but at the very least never complain about xy and z happening due to basic understanding of the device you decide to use.

That being said, for those who want to take control over their phone www.xda-developers.com is an excellent resource. Every android I have had has been rooted and unlocked. Why, cause i am a casual linux user so SU just makes sense to me.

And the permission restriction apps i have tried work well. Although some permissions being disabled will crash teh facebook app from my experience. But if you really want facebook and want to cut down on all the crap they try to collect, just run it from the mobile browser in incognito mode to start with. No root required.

So lets keep shedding more light with facts on this subject instead of subjective opinions.

plz, k, thx

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SerialVelocity

It isn't anything to do with the FBI or CIA or whoever listening in on you. If you don't understand how the tech works in the first place, you probably shouldn't be commenting in this thread

Anything stored on a server you do not own, is accessible by its admins

The US government owns your cloud data

And the connection FB has to the government is quite clear. Check out the credentials in this video

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
+1 I have that video saved and was going to post it. FB has always been mass surveillance. Zuckerberg doesnt deny referring to his users as DF's regarding the amount of privacy they surrender. An email address is all the "social media" that I partake in.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by scoobdude

Old people and computers? Please look at the permission full wording again and think of the implications. It could have been adapted to the specific app need. If old people raise these questions than maybe they're right? I have no big worry for today or tomorrow. But it's a backdoor that could be used against us in the upcoming years. These people have long term plans, there's a reason behind everything and more often than not it's not the same reason they're selling it for.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by MrMaybeNot

What about the top one also? Allows them to delete your sd card without permission also?

Wow am I glad I am not a facebooker!! Me loves ATS too much!!

Just shows how much YOU people don't see because you worry to much about conspiracies lots of android apps ask this,

Storage: Modify/delete SD card contents This permission allows the app to read, change or delete any data that's on the SD card. There are several reasons why an app will need to do this, including; storing information on the SD card instead of taking up phone memory, or editing photos that are stored on the memory card. This permission is legitimately needed by apps that create images, notes, save games, backup data etc...

This link explains other permissions

knowhow.com...

It only deletes what it has put on, people on here are so PARANOID it's unhealthy!!!
edit on 20-1-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMaybeNot

What will they get besides a lot of pictures of the inside of pockets and purses ? Do you walk around with your phone out all the time ? Mine stays in my purse unless I need to use it. I dont live on my phone or on facebook. I use my phone very little actually. Only to make calls. For the most part is sits and waits in the dark of my purse until I need it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join