It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook new app update let them record sound & video from your phone, at any time, without your con

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
All it means is you don't have to give it permission everytime you upload a picture.

One of the new features is send voice messages, so that is why it wants access to the microphone.

It's like internet explorer asking to always run activex controls on a website, or your firewall wanting to know if you want to always grant a program network access.

There is nothing nefarious about it, they aren't recording your phone calls, or taking pictures of you while in the shower.

I hear what you are saying and you may well be right, but how do you know for sure that this will not be used to spy on people by affiliates of Facebook? If you give your permission thinking it is doing one thing and it does something else, legally maybe you don't have a leg to stand on because you agreed to the terms and conditions. Could be a sneaky way of getting round the illegal spying on you laws.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I just checked it out on both my tablet and my Android cell, you could see this perfectly from the tablet but on my cell it would NOT allow me to see the permissions at all.
I just made a big status update about it and put up pics, also sent a mass message to every person on my friends list letting them know. This is completely unacceptable for Facebook to do.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
We deleted our FB account because I read all the small print each time something cme out and I didn't like it plus the privacy thing so no more. These ones are over the top though.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Hold the # up, how could I missed that part? ? Brb

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
Hold the # up, how could I missed that part? ? Brb

Unfortunately, the app can't be uninstall because...its is preinstall with phone.

So therefore I need to root this junk.

OP thanks you this post.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Here is an image of the primary alarm-raising permissions from this latest update. I could only see these permissions from my tablet and not from my phone.
*I'm sorry in advance if I have anything wrong with the pic upload, brand new to doing that lol*

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I do know there is somewhere in there that Facebook can get all of your contacts plus phone numbers from your cell phone unless you deny permission but of course they can get it without it.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
ok just check facebook and saw a warning by somebody here

www.facebook.com...#!/rejeanghebert

wonder how long it stay up before it remove

edit on 18-1-2013 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
This is one of the reasons why I deleted my facebook. It got to a point where I read more and more articles and blogs about the CIA having a stake in FB.

Was Facebook created to see the anti-authority crowd, aka, Ron Paul supporters, and people that question their Government? Who knows, but it's a goldmine for information. You can even see now where people post from if they allow it. That's what put me over the edge and I eventually deleted it. Even then, it's not permanently deleted, you can still see my name but without a picture.

Zuckerberg also always gave me the creeps.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
you know you can just disable it right? making a big deal of this is stupid. did you know that theres virus's out there that can turn on your webcam and watch you? better throw away your computer.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by threewisemonkeys
You can spin it any way you like but all it says is the app wont ask your permission should you decide to, for example, take a photo directly in app, as opposed to uploading from your Gallery. Likewise with voice. It's called integration. Users don't want to receive an on screen prompt at every button press just because a permission is required. No different from the Camera app opening right up instead of asking you if its ok for the camera to be accessed by the app first. You'll find permissions like this on virtually every Android or iOS app that requires access to those functions. Don't like it? Don't install the app.

I actually agree with this. But, it is also pretty conveniently worded for one day, in the future, when a court has to decide whether you have a right to sue Facebook for allowing DHS to access your microphone or camera because you acknowledged that the app does have the right to do so. And you lose your case.

EDIT: I feel like if we were discussing it in terms of you using the app for these purposes without such confirmation...you would expect perhaps "This permission allows the app to access your microphone when you record audio without your confirmation." instead of what it says: "This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation."

Confirmation - definition: "acknowledgement with definite assurance", "sanction" and (importantly) "corroboration"

Is this the typical word used for hitting the OK button or "Allow" button?

Also, why "at any time" ...why not "when you use it to record" or other such time specification. I think we can all agree that "at any time" is a wider span of time than "when you record with it". That's odd to me most of all.
edit on 19-1-2013 by Sphota because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyInTheOintment
That's insanely twisted... What's the betting the CIA have a stake in FB (or at least a legally binding order against the company stating full access rights are to be available at all times)..?

Yep, they sure do.... [this video is a must see if you havn't already]

Also Julian Assange called it...

"The most appalling spying machine that has ever been invented"

news.cnet.com...

It's long been known that facebook has been selling their users private information, they say its only for market research and stuff. But in an age where information is power, they are able to use linguistic algorithms to crunch all the facebook data through supercomputers, and as a result know so much about us, about society and interrelations, about political and grassroots movements and how to stop them or how to best to further their own agenda without causing us to riot. They know even more about us than we know about ourselves. In the information age, knowledge is power. Facebook is a game changer, they could almost become unstoppable with the power it gives them.

edit on 19/1/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
You know what's even stupider than having facebook....hooking it up to your phone.

I do have facebook, but there's no way in hell I'd ever hook it up to my phone.
That's just asking for trouble.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
wow, insane!, Thanks OP for sharing, Im glad I haven't hooked it up to my phone, i never will. I wish I never let my family talk me into facebook in a few years back, I can't stand it.
edit on 19-1-2013 by hapablab because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Has it occured to you guys that the facebook app needs to be able to record video/audio when you click "upload video" in the status area?

When you update your status, it asks you if you want to record it now. The facebook application needs that control to do those actions. Those permissions have always been there.

Who knows if they are using it for other things, but as far as these permissions are concerned, they are required as the application itself records you when you click "record".

Alternatively, if you don't like the idea of being recorded when you ask it to, you can go to the task manager inside the android's operating system and stop the tasks. Also, you may "disable background data", by going into settings>accounts and sync, and unticking the box.

CX

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
I'm wondering when they will consider anyone WITHOUT a FB account a terrorist.

I can easily see this happening......

Unlike the majority of his peers, Lanza apparently had no Facebook page. His online footprint was minimal. He appears not to have been known to the police.

No FaceBook page for Adam Lanza

No social networking page? You must be some anti-social nutbar then......let us relieve you of your guns in that case.

CX.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
INSTA UN INSTALL

Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
refuse that #

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Yeah, I was aware of that, but thought I'd be off-topic to mention it. This site is an excellent resource & listening post, I presume - I have to suppress a chuckle whenever I read a passionate American saying stuff like:

''They can take my rifle over my dead body''

or:

''If they come for my guns, we're gonna dance...''

EVERYTHING on this board is filtered, and EVERYONE here is on some list or other. In truth, I'm quite certain that some of the stuff I've posted has led to real-time effects that I've seen unfold in specific ways in the non-digital world, some good, some not so good.

I suppose the point about the new FB permissions is that not only will a slightly kooky bunch of conspiracy theorists (and some undoubtedly quite dangerous/ unstable 'bad apples') be monitored easily - but that EVERYTHING that EVERYONE does in proximity to their phone, is liable to be similarly filtered and monitored.

Interesting times, for sure...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Don't download the app. Problem solved. Why is anyone complaining about a totally voluntary action?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join