Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

My View on Taoism

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
What is more important? Intentions, or outcomes? Jesus would say you judge a tree by the fruit it bears. While Intentions are generally important in garnering a specific outcome, some prefer the route of lack of intent.

Intentions can cause problems. While intent can be important at garnering a specific outcome... I think the question is not about whether or not there is good intent, but how effective someone is at bringing that intent into reality.

Also the question brings into mind things such as having good intent, but a ridiculously terrible belief system that isn't in line with reality that results in your intentions screwing people over because you have a misguided view of cause-and-effect, and then yelling at people because they aren't following your ideals, or blaming others because of your own misinterpretation of reality. This all basically results in a bad sex life and relationship problems.

A Taoist? No intentions, good results. And bad results as a Taoist would mean that you need to increase your awareness of your surroundings and your ability to make the correct decisions for the situation at hand, so it isn't like there isn't improvement to be made there.
edit on 18-1-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)
edit on 18-1-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I'm not sure what you're asking.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

In Taoism, everything has its "Dao" (or Nature/Flow). I don't think The Tao Te Ching talks in terms of "intention". It does say however a concept of "wei wu wei" which would mean something like "doing without doing".

Think of it like playing blackjack, you try to get 21, so you can do something (hit for another card) or you can do nothing (stay - keep the same number).

To not go against (or "contend with" - as Tao Te Ching says) is to Accept. to do without doing is to leave it alone (acceptance).

So even doing nothing, is doing something - you are allowing things to be as they are.

new topics

join