It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC's David Gregory Won't Be Charged For Showing Ammo Magazine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Ha ha, Meet the press host under investigation for holding up "illegal" high capacity magazine

In the letter, Nathan explained: "Influencing our judgment in this case, among other things, is our recognition that the intent of the temporary possession and short display of the magazine was to promote the First Amendment purpose of informing an ongoing public debate about firearms policy in the United States, especially while this subject was foremost in the minds of the public" after the Connecticut school massacre and President Obama's address to the nation.

Link to story on NPR

Attourney General's Letter to NBC

So David Gregory was exercising his freedom of speech when he displayed the magazine.

There were, however, other legal means available to demonstrate the point and to pursue this line of questioning with the guest that were suggested to NBC and that could have and should have been pursued.

At least the OAG seemed slightly upset about the incident.

We therefore did not rely in making our judgment on the feeble and unsatisfactory efforts that NBC made to determine whether or not it was lawful to possess, display and broadcast this large capacity magazine as a means of fostering the public policy debate.

Better mind your P's and Q's from now on Mr Gregory.

NBC should be made aware that OAG's decision not to press charges in this matter was a very close decision and not one to which it came lightly or easily.

Unfortunately for US Army veteran James Brinkley the OAG's prosecutorial discretion was not on his side last year.

If you're not David Gregory...

On Sept. 8, Mr. Brinkley says he intended to drop his wife and young children at the White House for a tour and then head to a shooting range to practice for the U.S. Marshals Service test. Just like Mr. Gregory, Mr. Brinkley called MPD in advance for guidance on how he could do this legally. Mr. Brinkley was told that the gun had to be unloaded and locked in the trunk, and he couldn’t park the car and walk around.

As he was dropping off his family at 11 a.m. on the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue, Mr. Brinkley stopped to ask a Secret Service officer whether his wife could take the baby’s car seat into the White House. The officer saw Mr. Brinkley had an empty holster, which kicked off a traffic stop that ended in a search of the Charger’s trunk. Mr. Brinkley was booked on two counts of “high capacity” magazine possession (these are ordinary magazines nearly everywhere else in the country) and one count of possessing an unregistered gun.

In the end the charges against Brinkley were dropped.

But he was charged, arrested, and forced to defend himself.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
There's a story about NY cops complaining they have to follow the new gun laws, so they are rushing to make exemptions. Same deal, the media and government are above the people, double standard hypocrisy.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
See what a load of BS the laws are for the little people not pundits and anyone who tows the Potus line.

AS to Brinkley Elvis Presley met with Nixon carrying concealed something no one can do today hell Presidents use to get guns as "gifts" until fascists made them taboo.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Another media whore getting away with something the average citizen would have their doors kicked in over, big surprise. Now lets go call it a day, "shoot alex jones in the face" and have tea with piers morgan.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well can't say I didn't see the charges sticking, no matter how unfair it is that he can get away with. Where other would be charged to the full extent.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Lord Jules

Why do cops NEED those extra bullets.... (talking in an anti-gun voice here).

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by scottromansky

Cause they can't seem to hit who they're aiming at.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I propose a "Million Mag March."

We'll all just march through DC holding empty metal boxes (magazines) while wearing paper David Gregory masks and see how many of us get charged with a felony.

I dont want Gregory to be punished. I just want this admission of this specific law being pointless to be extended to everyone. Not just the beautiful people.

Enough of this prohibitionist crap.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I thought it was funny that he got in trouble for thinking he was so gosh darned smart, but I'm glad he got off. I don't think it should be illegal for just doing something stupid.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayson
I thought it was funny that he got in trouble for thinking he was so gosh darned smart, but I'm glad he got off. I don't think it should be illegal for just doing something stupid.

But that's the whole point and the whole problem. If you or I do something stupid that's against the law, we don't get a letter forgiving us--even if it's a grudging forgiveness. Goddammit, we go to jail. That's the difference between "us" and "them."

top topics

join