It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software developer 'Bob' outsources own job to China and whiles away shifts on cat videos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Now that's working the system. Hey, if the company you work for can do it why can't you???

This raises some new ethical problems but "Bob" gets an "A" for creativity from me.

Now that this story is out, how many copycats do you think there will be. I think a lot of companies are about to find out that karma is a $!^(%.

SOURCE

Verizon's hunt for a mysterious hacker exposes 'top worker' at firm who let Chinese consultants log on to do his daily work.

It was only after a thorough investigation that it was revealed that the culprit was not a hacker, but "Bob" (not his real name), an "inoffensive and quiet" family man and the company's top-performing programmer, who could be seen toiling at his desk day after day and staring diligently at his monitor.

The employee, whom Valentine calls Bob, was in his mid-40s, a "family man, inoffensive and quiet. Someone you wouldn't look twice at in an elevator."

But an examination of his workstation revealed hundreds of PDF invoices from a third party contractor/developer in Shenyang. "As it turns out, Bob had simply outsourced his own job to a Chinese consulting firm.

Bob spent less than one-fifth of his six-figure salary for a Chinese firm to do his job for him."

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

This story is AWESOME!! One fifth of his salary to not have to work? That kind of sounds like what the USA government does to it's people with taxes!!

Here, you go to work to make money, and then pay more than a quarter of your salary to the government, and they will take the claim to anything done for the people.....Where does the money come from to fund such a venture? Oh yeah USSSSSSSSSS......

This is genius I must say though.....Good for Bob and his outside the box thinking!!

edit on 1/18/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by happykat39

This story is AWESOME!! One fifth of his salary to not have to work? That kind of sounds like what the USA government does to it's people with taxes!!

Here, you go to work to make money, and then pay more than a quarter of your salary to the government, and they will take the claim to anything done for the people.....Where does the money come from to fund such a venture? Oh yeah USSSSSSSSSS......

This is genius I must say though.....Good for Bob and his outside the box thinking!!

edit on 1/18/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

yeah, except bob is out of a job, and either arrested or being sued, and......the company will get the bright idea to fire the rest of the americans, and have it's work done at 1/5 the cost in china by the very same people that were working for bob....what an idiot!!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
lol thats funny.. I offer programming and things like that and outsource it to an indian company that does really good and they are cheap, I charge triple what I pay them. All I have to do is be very interactive with them and check over their work and make sure that they are doing everything right. I am like the middle man, its not as easy as you give them a task and they do it so there is work involved but I don't know how to actually program and I want to be able to offer it to my customers and my prices are still cheaper then hiring a programmer in the US.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This has been going on for many years now... I've been guilty of it myself back in early 2000 when I was extremely busy =)

It's even easier now ... But it's true... My company charges anywhere from $100 to $150 an hour for programming tasks .. and we get a ton of business ... I charge less when I do it myself.. $50 to $75 an hour depending on the intensity of the project and how quickly they want it done... but you can pay half that to outsource it overseas .. or less than half... the problem is the language barrier and finding someone reliable .. someone who's work you can support and troubleshoot on your own if need be..

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
lol thats funny.. I offer programming and things like that and outsource it to an indian company that does really good and they are cheap, I charge triple what I pay them. All I have to do is be very interactive with them and check over their work and make sure that they are doing everything right. I am like the middle man, its not as easy as you give them a task and they do it so there is work involved but I don't know how to actually program and I want to be able to offer it to my customers and my prices are still cheaper then hiring a programmer in the US.

You can work with me =) but I'm not as cheap as them I'm sure lol ..

join