It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would America be like if we lost the Revolutionary War?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
If the tables were turned and Washington surrendered to Cornwallis at Yorktown...what would America be like today? A parlimentary government still loyal to the British monarchy? Another Canada or Australia? No unique constitution, no bill of rights as we know it and certainly no "second amendment"......It is not a moot question (we won) as we are losing the war against national sovereignty as global governance grows both insidiously and now even overtly.

I am in the wrong forum (my mistake)...MODS please move it where you think it is more appropriate.
edit on 18-1-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: mods move thread to different forum

edit on 18-1-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I can't imagine, but I don't think I would be as happy as I am to live here, that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I can't imagine, but I don't think I would be as happy as I am to live here, that's for sure.

You are mistaken....you would have been brought up in the system, and therefore would love it and defend it the same way you do for the current one. Your frame of mind would not be the same as it is today.

There wouldn't be a bill of rights, but there would be some other bill.

Britain is no worse from where you are today. It is a democracy. Therefore, America would probably also be a democratic country, maybe just some laws would be different.

Would you be poorer/unhappier? Not necessarilly. You and your mind/opinion is a product of your upbringig and current social paradigm.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I'm sure my family would have stayed in Spain then. And I would have been a spanish citizen.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Maybe, maybe not.
Aren't there many people now, that were raised in one country, that have moved to another, do to that countries policies or politics?
Just because you are raised with something, doesn't mean you like it, or let it continue.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Well if you use Canada as your Yardstick then I guess it would be much the same as there. In my opinion Canada is probably a much more pleasant place to live than the USA anyway so it wouldn't have been such a bad thing. I don't expect patriotic Americans to think that way though of course.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Interesting question and certainly something to ponder. To be fair, there aren't exactly many differences today so probably even less if we had won!

From my point of view, World war 2 would have been an interesting time - would blighty have relocated over the Atlantic to escape rationing, bombing and fear of invasion? It is certainly a possibility. And once there, would citizens have been convinced to return to freezing Scotland (or wherever) from sunny California?

One thing is for sure though, if we had won their would be no silly spellings of proper words!

edit on 18-1-2013 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2013 by Flavian because: Because i can't argue about silly aspelling when i spelt "won" as "one"!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Well if you use Canada as your Yardstick then I guess it would be much the same as there. In my opinion Canada is probably a much more pleasant place to live than the USA anyway so it wouldn't have been such a bad thing. I don't expect patriotic Americans to think that way though of course.

I don't think so, I hate being cold.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

You wish you were Canada or Australia.

Keep dreaming.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I'm guessing there might be a lot more Indians around. But who knows--any other country probably would've massacred them just as horribly as the United States did.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I suspect that the United States would have been granted independence similar to other Commonweatlh nations eventually even if there were no war.

Queen of England would be Head of State, but the country would pretty much be left to their own devices as per the examples of Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc.

However, USA would have gotten involved in World War 1 and World War 2 very much earlier than they did, and other world events would probably have been shaped by their loyalty to the British Crown.

I suspect that French history would be quite different since about 1776 as the French had massive support of American Independence.

American history probably wouldn't have been all that different. You'd have had a succession of Prime Ministers instead of Presidents, but the ways of Capitalism etc would have remained much the same as Capitalism really doesn't change very much between a Constitutional Monarchy or a Republic. Rises and falls in economy, wars etc would have still occurred.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
I'm sure my family would have stayed in Spain then. And I would have been a spanish citizen.

If you'd have been unhappy under a Constitutional Monarchy I suspect that you'd have been extremely unhappy under General Franco.

You may not have come to the United States, but I would suspect that your family would still have left Spain sooner or later, none the less.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
I'm guessing there might be a lot more Indians around. But who knows--any other country probably would've massacred them just as horribly as the United States did.

I doubt it. Natives in Canada were treated in much the same way (moved to reserves etc) although whole tribes weren't wiped out as much as they were in the United States.

US history really wouldn't have changed that much, the expansion West would still have taken place, but might have actually happened at a different time.

It's unlikely that the mass of Irish that migrated to the USA would have done so quite as enthusiastically knowing that they were moving to another country under control of the English, so the sheer pressure of population that Irish immigrants caused to the North Eastern USA might not have happened quite so quickly.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
No Honey Boo-Boo.

Really, that's reason enough.

Queen? Ma'am? Please oh please take us back!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
We would still be apart of the disgusting British empire, I imagine. It's difficult to imagine that the British would allow America to emancipate the slaves, or war with the South for the Union of States. The British would probably have colonized much of the world as that has been a main feature of their imperialist and Anglo-Saxon superiority agenda, in my prophetic view.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts
We would still be apart of the disgusting British empire, I imagine. It's difficult to imagine that the British would allow America to emancipate the slaves, or war with the South for the Union of States. The British would probably have colonized much of the world as that has been a main feature of their imperialist and Anglo-Saxon superiority agenda, in my prophetic view.

What are you talking about?

We abolished slavery decades before you even had a civil war - 1807 in fact.

Also, why was the British Empire disgusting? I hear it a lot on here but the simple facts remain that (as far as empires go) the British Empire was pretty benign. The official policy was working alongside the local populace rather than replacing it - we are a small nation so never thought it would possible to settle somewhere and establish trade, etc, without the consent of the locals.

We didn't send huge armies over to conquer new land like many empires do.........

I know British governments over the years have been responsible for some horrible acts but lets have an honest assessment of facts, eh?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Not so sure on the Independence thing, as i alluded to in my original post. Commonwealth independence was post 1945 - what if the population had been relocated to the US during or prior to the outbreak of war? (this would certainly have been considered at the time if the USA was still a British colony).

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
take a closer look and you will find that america did not win the revolutionary war.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
take a closer look and you will find that america did not win the revolutionary war.

Okay. I'll be the one. I'll ask.

"Who did win?"

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by trysts

What are you talking about?

We abolished slavery decades before you even had a civil war - 1807 in fact.

Also, why was the British Empire disgusting? I hear it a lot on here but the simple facts remain that (as far as empires go) the British Empire was pretty benign. The official policy was working alongside the local populace rather than replacing it - we are a small nation so never thought it would possible to settle somewhere and establish trade, etc, without the consent of the locals.

We didn't send huge armies over to conquer new land like many empires do.........

I know British governments over the years have been responsible for some horrible acts but lets have an honest assessment of facts, eh?

In my prophetic view, the British would have seen the money generated from slavery in the American colonies, and having the South vehemently against emancipation, would have allowed slavery to continue.

You must think like most Americans, and Israelis, that being under military occupation is not so bad. Oppression is bad, so I'll have to disagree.

To describe any empire as being benign is certainly ridiculous to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join