It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to put horse meat on the menu?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Given an option, I would not and the reasons are purely psychological. I wouldn't eat a dog or cat or any of the animals typically considered to be human companions. Rational or not, I couldn't willfully eat Lassie or Flicka when alternatives abound.

Originally posted by michael1983l
I hear that insects carry the highest protien levels per pound of all foods?

That's where we need to be heading. Crickets, grasshoppers, meal worms etc. A lot more bang for the buck, not nearly as much environmental impact. We'll get there eventually, I'm betting.

I saw a thing on TV not too long ago about invasive species focusing on grass carp in the Mississippi basin, which have completely taken over in some areas as the dominant species. For some reason, people won't eat them. There was a chef who prepared some as a challenge and found a restaurant who agreed to serve them as an experiment. People loved it.

That's the sort of thing we need to be doing.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

No. That would be like eating one of our loyal pets.
Canada has some wild horses, they're protected from hunting.

There's enough other meat to eat - deer, moose, elk, buffalo, ostrich, other poultry, fish.....bugs.

Horses are loyal companions, we shouldn't betray that by eating them, unless TSHTF totally, and there's no other food left. I can't see that happening - food is abundant.

They even let us ride them. Ever try to ride a cow?
It's not easy....

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
If you are thinking of using horse meat as part of the solution to animal protein supply in the diet, I think you would find that horses are very inefficient at converting food to muscle. I think (from memory) it takes 9 kilos of grain to produce 1 kilo of beef, 7 for lamb, and 4 for chicken. I am pretty sure horse would be very high. If you are thinking in terms of protein in the diet then you would be better to extol the virtues of the chicken. Also, if you are interested in the subject, look up single celled protein.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I've eaten horse meat. It used to be on sale in my town at an otherwise normal neighborhood butcher shop. I bought it in "hamburger" form and don't really know if they had other cuts available. I made burgers and meatloaf with it. It is somewhat more "gamey" than steer meat and also very lean. It's a bit darker in color. Most people I fed it to "didn't like it," but it's hard to tell if this was true distaste or just knowing what it was.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
There's obviously some objection to eating horse because of an emotional attachment some people in this thread seem to have. Many of you may not even know that it's sold near you, served in restaurants, and that they are slaughtered in the same government inspected abattoirs as your beef.

Living near Toronto, I could easily buy it at a butcher shop, or order it in some restaurants. Canadians don't eat very many horses, but it's definitely on the menu if you want it.

Humans will eat pretty much anything, and just in the past few months I've had all the supermarket animals they offer. Adding to that, we've had quite a bit of venison, some moose from a friend, rabbits, bison, and we eat a lot of seafood.

Horse is consumed all over the world, just not in the quantities like cows, pigs, and chickens. I don't see any reason not to eat it, other than it's too expensive where I live.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Burger pony.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Short answer: No.

I couldn't bring myself to eat an animal I spent years working with in a therapeutic program, not after seeing the intelligence and loyalty they portrayed. I've always felt a connection with them and learned both trust and unconditional love through them after having a fairly rough childhood, through the teen years.
Someone could try feeding me horse meat through not telling me what it was, but I can't say I would be too... thrilled upon finding out. To me, eating a horse is on the level of eating another human. My subconscious hounds that it's morally wrong.

However, I don't mind if other people would want to eat horse. That's their personal preference and if that's what they crave, then it's fine by me. I just do not wish to take part in it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
In short NO. Its the most appalling and primitive thing imagineable. France better take it off too, and also fine comb its elected servants to find out who the orcs are.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

michael1983l
I don't think horse meat should be on the menu but when i was a kid at a outdoor party i ate horse meat burgers i wasn't told that till after the party but actually it was very good..
Ive eaten allot of exotic meats deer,buffalo,bear,and squirrel and it was all good but i was brought up on this kind of meat my parents were hunters as am i it was all good..peace,sugarcookie1
edit on 26-1-2013 by sugarcookie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
As a horse lover and owner, it isn't on my menu... I can see it internationally though, but not for me.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I've never knowingly eaten horse but I'm pretty sure now that I have at some point.. I've not grown a 3rd ear nor has my head fallen off... It's safe enough to say, it's safe to eat.

The only couple of problems I've had over this whole fiasco is that

A: If something is labelled as beef, it should be beef... If people want to eat horse then why not, just tell them so.

B: My Nan has thrown out £100's of perfectly good food for fear it may contain horse, even though she's been eating those same products for years.. what a waste of good food.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Most of you already have.

truestory.jpeg

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Ikea in Sweden is pulling meatballs from the shelves because one brand was found to contain Horse meat.

Here's the link: video.ca.msn.com...

What gets me is Ikea selling meat balls. Do they come in a difficult to assemble kit with extra ingredients?
edit on 25-2-2013 by Beartracker16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Horse is a perfectly edible food!
I've tried it a couple of times and it is healthy, tender and tasty.
Much more so than beef from bull, buffalo or any other kinds of meat i've tried. (whale is awesome)

It's also cheap and pretty high quality. You dont need a premium cut to make a fine steak.
Where im from, Norway, you dont have to worry about steroids etc in the meat.

I woulden't know how this is like in other countries (except for the US, GMO's etc) but norwegian livestock (and horses) are treated well. They have wonderful pastures along the fjords with clean grass and fresh air!

Happy animals produce good quality foods. Simple as that. I would eat horse again, no doubt.

Horse-burger
hellevalebrokk.blogspot.com...

This is a lady that has nothing but love for horses. And eating horses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join