It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What freemasonry is to me...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
We have a lot of threads in this forum. As is appropriate for a conspiracy site, 99% of the threads on freemasonry are negative. I just wanted to give my perspective on what freemasonry is, as a mason of five years.

I joined the fraternity because I believe fundamentally in the the following ideas:
- That people have an innate right to shape their own government free of the interference of any religion or any ruler that bases their authority on divine rule.
- That the freest people are those who can worship in any way they choose (or no way at all, for atheists).
- That the best way to do good is to do so where possible in secret, not because you are ashamed of your good works but so that you know you do good things because its the right thing to do instead of for outward praise or recognition.
- That the highest of human virtues is tolerance for all.

I am lucky to live in a world where these ideas are, perhaps more than ever before, commonplace. To profess theses ideas and practice them is no unusual or strange thing in 2013, in most of the world. But these ideas are so important to me, so sacred in character, that as a student of history I know this will not always be the case. Throughout mankind's development those who profess these ideas have been oppressed - tortured and murdered at the hands of clergy and the state because they represent a fundamental threat to monarchies, aristocrats, and all those who think they should hold power by virtue of their theology or social status rather than the will of the people. And it is not only the far past where these ideas were blasphemy. Try them today in Iran or China, for example.

Freemasons I believe are the guardians of these ideas. We did not come up with them. We do not claim ownership of them.You do not have to be a freemason to practice these ideas. But I think by becoming a freemason, you join a historic heritage of people that have been dedicated to their preservation.Our desire, our fundamental purpose I believe, is to serve as a metaphorical "keep safe" for these ideas. Because human history will repeat itself. And in those darkest points of human history, someone needs to remember that these ideas are fundamental to the human experience. Someone needs to be in those dark places who has that esoteric knowledge that these values are the summit of human thinking and that we as a society will go no where when such values are discarded.

That someone, I believe, are freemasons. These ideas have always been at the cornerstone of the fraternity. And when religious zealotry or political persecution silenced them, we whispered them in the darkness until those whispers became a chorus that could be heard over the calamities of the day. The fraternity is perfectly suited for this purpose. Its core ideology of faith, charity, brotherly love are perfect compliments to this role.

Many people have either lamented or cheered at Freemasonry's decline over the past 50 years. But I am thankful for it. Because I think freemasonry's noble purpose requires such a caliber of men that it is loses its way when people are admitted who have no thirst for its esoteric secrets or rituals. I have no problem giving a black ball any applicant who thinks freemasonry is a charity (charity is key to freemasonry, but not our fundamental purpose), or a country club. I have to say that, despite my expectations, over the past few years I have seen a surge in people of my generation (late 20s) that share my values and views of freemasonry.
edit on 18-1-2013 by thelongjourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
So you are saying that the Freemasons are "guardians" of your specific ideas, the ones you had before/upon joining Freemasonry? I am sure each and every Freemason has their own personal beliefs, and i am sure all of them share others. But to say that they are the guardians of your ideas...?

Perhaps i am misunderstanding, or perhaps you need to clarify the opening post...perhaps it is both.

Is it really fair that you black ball prospective masons simply due to their preconceived ideologies? I am sure many people are clouded and would like to see the light (thus attempting to join Freemasonry).

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by thelongjourney

Very eloquently said. If only everyone felt the way you do... However...

While I share your idea that the esoteric side of Freemasonry is at the heart of Freemasonry, there are many, even within Freemasonry, that are trying to change that.

For example, in the English constitution, portions of ritual have been omitted because of their esoteric content - for example, the 2nd degree working tools has been truncated; in emulation ritual, the 1st degree lecture is no longer delivered at initiations, because of the fear that an candidate may be scared off by its esoteric content. The emblems of mortality piece found in other constitutions are now omitted. Words in the side orders, filled with esoteric and occult symbolism, have been changed to the mundane, to accommodate those who are scared off by deep thought.

And all of this to increase membership.

I am scared that many constitutions are promoting charity and a 'country club' feel to Freemasonry in order to increase membership. I have recently received a district appointment as a provincial mentor, and have faced massive resistance from the Lodges when trying to bring esoteric teachings back. However, I will persevere, even if it means being alienated from the Lodges, because I believe what you do, and within Freemasonry, these values are slowly decaying in favour of membership numbers.

It saddens me that even many Masons have lost touch of what Freemasonry is all about. Your thread provides a glimmer of light in the darkness.

edit on 18/1/2013 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

I'm going to join.
And I hope they conduct all the original rituals with it.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I agree with you in that perhaps the OP is a little harsh in blackballing members who see Freemasonry as a charity - there are many facets of Freemasonry, and we need members of all types - those who are particularly charitable, those who are good ritualists, those who are knowledgeable in the esoteric, those who just turn up at meetings and never do any ritual, but are happy to warm the food and serve the drinks. All of these put together make a Lodge, and all are needed.

However, when other values in Freemasonry start to replace the core values, for example, members who join only to have a beer with friends on a Wednesday night, or those who never come to Lodge, but make a nice charitable donation every now and then, what can you do to stop it? In other words, when the balance goes awry, and becomes lopsided in favour of only the social side, or only the charity side, something must be done to restore the balance.

Perhaps this is the OP's way of restoring that balance in his Lodge. Who are we to judge that decision? That's what the black ball is for...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

So wait, what type of "rituals" are these? What are these esoteric teachings you speak of? And what really goes on at those lodges?

(I'm not a freemason hater. I actually am very interested in joining)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

I'd have to agree very much...While I am not currently a Freemason, I am heavily petitioning to become one, so as to follow in my mother's family footsteps....It would seem though that there is a distancing of Freemasonry from the esoteric side, which is a big draw for me, as well as the acts of charity and good-will. If you can't tell by my avatar and threads in my signature, the esoteric/occult symbolism is a huge interest of mine. I hate trying to learn about these societies from the outside, with nobody to discuss things with, and if I ask questions they can't break 'code', or they will get upset with me for legitimately studying before-hand on their material.

I've seen the comment made a dozen time on the 'Evil Masons' conspiracy threads, about anyone can learn what Masonry is about online, and through books at Borders, library, etc....Yet when you take the time to learn about the subject and society, you get accused of dropping eaves and deceit.

That's not it at all....I'm heavily drawn to the esoteric aspect of not just Masonry, but life itself, and telling me to stay away from that is something I simply can not, and will not do. The easiest way is just to accept me for who I am.
edit on 18-1-2013 by VeritasAequitas because: Semantics

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus
I agree with you in that perhaps the OP is a little harsh in blackballing members who see Freemasonry as a charity - there are many facets of Freemasonry, and we need members of all types - those who are particularly charitable, those who are good ritualists, those who are knowledgeable in the esoteric, those who just turn up at meetings and never do any ritual, but are happy to warm the food and serve the drinks. All of these put together make a Lodge, and all are needed.

However, when other values in Freemasonry start to replace the core values, for example, members who join only to have a beer with friends on a Wednesday night, or those who never come to Lodge, but make a nice charitable donation every now and then, what can you do to stop it? In other words, when the balance goes awry, and becomes lopsided in favour of only the social side, or only the charity side, something must be done to restore the balance.

Perhaps this is the OP's way of restoring that balance in his Lodge. Who are we to judge that decision? That's what the black ball is for...

Thank you for the reply.

Yes i agree with you and the OP, especially so after you have described it that way. Even though i am not a Freemason myself, i can see why the core of Freemasonry must be preserved, especially if there are threats looming from other aspects such as charities and social gatherings.

If there is indeed an unbalance, then it is perhaps the right decision to black ball those who may disrupt it further.

Daas.
edit on 18-1-2013 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

The rituals are the ceremonies done at initiation and when when you are admitted to the second and third degrees. Each ritual is really a play, in which you are the main actor, and things happen to you along the way. Each of the things that happen to you teach some moral or spiritual value or lesson.

They are, in essence, the same ceremonies that have been for three hundred years.

The esoteric teachings are harder to explain, but I will give you an example...

In a ceremony, for example, you may be told that a word, written on a slab, was found in a vault by our ancient brethren. You are told that word with the idea that you will contemplate the meaning of the word, and by contemplating the meaning of that word, you are forced to think about new ideas, some which may be outside your comfort zone. You are never told the meaning of the word - this is for the Mason to discover for himself - the meaning lies in every Mason's own heart. The whole idea of that word is to inspire thought - not to come to a predetermined conclusion. Some Masons do not understand this, even some of those in the Grand Lodges who have the power to change the rituals. Some of the more thought-provoking words have been removed to accommodate those Masons who do not realize that the word was given purely to provoke deep thought and self-questioning, and was never intended to be dogmatic or an attempt to teach any particular belief or idea.

I'm not saying that it's all gone. Indeed, there is still a HUGE amount of symbolism and esoteric teaching in the Order. Otherwise there would be no point to being a Mason I would have left the Order. It's still there - it's just getting less and less, which is the change I am so actively fighting against!

edit on 18/1/2013 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Ah I see. It sounds rather interesting.
And to join, you just contact your local lodge no?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
So you are saying that the Freemasons are "guardians" of your specific ideas, the ones you had before/upon joining Freemasonry? I am sure each and every Freemason has their own personal beliefs, and i am sure all of them share others. But to say that they are the guardians of your ideas...?

Perhaps i am misunderstanding, or perhaps you need to clarify the opening post...perhaps it is both.

Is it really fair that you black ball prospective masons simply due to their preconceived ideologies? I am sure many people are clouded and would like to see the light (thus attempting to join Freemasonry).

I think these ideologies are the heart of masonic philosophy. They are values I held previously, but I think they are central what it is to mean a freemason. I believe masonry is a guardian to these ideas not because they are my ideas - masonry is not a instrument to carry out my philosophy - but because masons before me as an organization made them the soul of our esoteric knowledge.

Key to masonic philosophy is that a mason is made first in his heart before he ever petitions the lodge. I expect that prospective members do their research before joining. I have spent vast quantities of time with potential members, and will happily talk with them about what I believe the fraternity is as well as recommend other brethren and scholarly sources for other perspectives.

I have never black balled someone because of something like a prospective member thinking that freemasonry is simply another charitable organization. That is because my lodge makes it a point to let key members know that while we value charity (indeed, it is a foundational ideology!), and that we lots of charity and encourage our members to give what they can - that masonry is not a charity. Its a distinct difference.

I should stress Im not saying anyone has to be perfect to be a mason. I am far from it. We all have done bad things. But I do think every mason should strive to be the embodiment of the ideas that are espoused in our ritual and philosophy - otherwise what is the point? So while I am not, for example, going to black ball someone for a 30 year old possession of weed charge, I would definitely do so if I knew them to be a racist. Black balling is not something I or I think any mason takes lightly, and if I personally have knowledge of the flaws of the candidate I think very carefully about it and do everything I can to avoid it. For example, I knew someone who sought petition to my lodge who I went to college with - and I had personal experience of them showing a racist attitude. I talked with them in a personal capacity (and not as a member of the lodge interviewing someone, thats the job of the committee) when I learned he petitioned and found that his views had greatly changed since then. I happily voted for him and he is one of the most active members of the lodge and a true testament to masonry's capacity to transform lives.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Freemasonry is the path of Satan to me?

Satan says "close your eyes , trust me , you won't know what is my friendship unless you trust me and experience it"

Also , Satan is not claiming war openly , it says I am friend and he is the enemy.

The only way to stand against him is reasoning and thinking which Freemasonry forbids and says " you should experience to know Freemasonry"

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry if i offended you or if i came of the wrong way.

I can see where you are coming from, and i also understand.

Thanks for clarifying everything for me.

Daas.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus
While I share your idea that the esoteric side of Freemasonry is at the heart of Freemasonry, there are many, even within Freemasonry, that are trying to change that.

And all of this to increase membership.

Thanks for your reply and your kind words. Your experience sadly mirrors what I am going through in my state (in the US). I am thrilled to hear though that you are doing what you can to fight back the tide of "anything to increase membership numbers." I hope - and it has been my experience, that in the past 2-3 years we have a lot of young men joining in the 18-20 range who thirst for the ritual and to learn more about masonic philosophy.

One thing I would like to see is a revival of masonic philosophy that is outside of ritual memorization. I like ritual, and memorizing it and performing it with the proper amount of solemn reverence is essential to freemasonry. But I feel like in the push to memorize ritual we have let fall to the wayside members who thirst to discuss, debate, learn, and write about masonic philosophy outside of the formal ritual. It will never happen in my life time, but my dream would be to have something like a "lodge of philosophy" that has officers who are promoted based on their contributions (via debate, written articles, and speeches). I guess research lodges would be the closest thing to that, but its still not quite there in my opinion.

Something else I'd also love to see, which I know has no hope of ever occurring, is having members who have no desire to go through the chairs be able to advance by writing papers on the degrees and presenting them instead of repeating ritual back before the lodge. So for example for the second degree, instead of having to do the catechism, the candidate would write and present a paper on the liberal arts and sciences in masonry. I still think they of course have to know the password and ritual interpretations of our symbolism, but that could be done via a private "test" with the officers.

The idea of "further light in masonry" as you know is so key to the ritual. And I believe that is where it all starts. That phrase - that singular desire - is the very soul of what it is to be a freemason. To seek out further light, and to shine that light in the darkest places whenever we can. To be a candle in the storm of tyranny, intolerance, and hatred.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry if i offended you or if i came of the wrong way.

I can see where you are coming from, and i also understand.

Thanks for clarifying everything for me.

Daas.

No offense taken at all, it was an excellent clarifying question! I should have elaborated a bit more. Glad it answered your questions

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mideast
Freemasonry is the path of Satan to me?

Satan says "close your eyes , trust me , you won't know what is my friendship unless you trust me and experience it"

Also , Satan is not claiming war openly , it says I am friend and he is the enemy.

The only way to stand against him is reasoning and thinking which Freemasonry forbids and says " you should experience to know Freemasonry"

Um..I am not sure what to say to this except...what? Freemasonry embodies reasoning and logic - its why it has been persecuted throughout the ages. Also, I have no idea what you mean by most of your post with the Satan stuff. Satan is not in masonry, has no place in masonry, satanists cannot become masons (why? because Satanists obviously don't worship a supreme being in the context of their own theology, Satan being created cannot be God)...

Anyways I have to go to work but I am enjoying the conversation so far..look forward to seeing where we are this evening.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Freemasonry represents the "Builders" who reject the Chief Cornerstone. This is a simple concept. In the Bible, the knowledge of good and evil are the first twins representing the right and left side of truth. The right side of truth represents unity with God's will and the left side represents multiplicity against God's will. In Genesis, God said, "Jacob (Farmer) have I loved and Esau (Hunter) have I hated. The farmer plants and harvests by giving and the hunter hunts and harvests by taking. Ultimately, Babylon represents the commerce system that takes. The Chief Cornerstone is the name of Christ, which represents giving rather than taking. Taking makes us a thief. Giving shows that we embrace the name (Character) of the Son of God.

In Freemasonry, we learn the Hermetic tradition that states that the Cosmos is the Son of God. Nature can only give. Mankind has taken the original mystery of God and twisted it in a mirror. It's called the Mystery Religion. In Revelation, the harlot that is destroyed is called Mystery Babylon. The true name should be Mystery School Babylon. They are the ones that have urinated their symbols across the landscape. Here is a video that shows which side of this truth you are joining.

Do you need secrets to know the mystery? No. Let your light shine. Do you need to be invited to join? No. Church membership is free. The doors of the church are open and there are no secrets. Those who have secrets merely have something to hide. If you know the true thread of truth (Jacob), you can know the twisted lie (Esau). Know the truth and the truth sets you free.

When Babylon was destroyed by God, Osiris was cut into pieces. That's Nimrod being cut by language. The various versions of the mystery, locked in stone, are simply symbolic of the original Mystery School that was trying to copy the original Mystery that was partially taught to the fallen Angels. The book of Enoch reveals this.

Good luck with your search for truth. I am just trying to save you time and heartache later.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

Freemasonry represents the "Builders" who reject the Chief Cornerstone. This is a simple concept.

It is wrong.

Nowhere in Freemasonry do we say or teach anything about rejecting a 'Chief Cornerstone'. In fact, even the concept 'Chief Cornerstone' does not appear in Freemasonry.

Where did you get this? It is absolutely wrong. And, if your premise is wrong, logically, your whole argument must be wrong.

In Revelation, the harlot that is destroyed is called Mystery Babylon. The true name should be Mystery School Babylon.

Strange that if the Bible intended a certain meaning, that it didn't just say what it meant.

When Babylon was destroyed by God, Osiris was cut into pieces.

One God cut in to pieces by another. Doesn't this conflict with the teaching of the Bible that there is only one God?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

My Father was a Freemason back in the 60''s and 70's, he has never talked much about it but he just stopped going
to meetings about 77.
I have asked many questions but he wont divulge much. Apparently if you are in business it's a good way to meet potential clients and contacts to take your business further.
I think if anything is secret people want to know and then start believing all kinds of fantasies.
My Dad was always interested in the Esoteric and Mystery school stuff which is probably where I have got my interests from.
I was offered a chance to be nominated back in the 90's but I was too busy at the time.
I kinda wish I had of now.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelongjourney

I joined the fraternity because I believe fundamentally in the the following ideas:
- That people have an innate right to shape their own government free of the interference of any religion or any ruler that bases their authority on divine rule.
- That the freest people are those who can worship in any way they choose (or no way at all, for atheists).
- That the best way to do good is to do so where possible in secret, not because you are ashamed of your good works but so that you know you do good things because its the right thing to do instead of for outward praise or recognition.
- That the highest of human virtues is tolerance for all.

All very noble reasons but you don't have to join the Masons or any fraternity to achieve any of them.

"It is absurd to think that a vast organization like Masonry was ordained merely to teach to grown-up men of the world the symbolical meaning of a few simple builders' tools, or to impress upon us such elementary virtues as temperance and justice:—the children in every village school are taught such things; or to enforce such simple principles of morals as brotherly love, which every church and every religion teaches; or as relief, which is practised quite as much by non-Masons as by us; or of truth, which every infant learns upon its mother's knee. There is surely, too, no need for us to join a secret society to be taught that the volume of the Sacred Law is a fountain of truth and instruction; or to go through the great and elaborate ceremony of the third degree merely to learn that we have each to die."

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join