It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Howard enters US gun debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Well, looks like the guy who took semi automatics away from Australians is giving advice on how the US can take away guns. He seems to think Americans will gladly hand their guns in for cash!

He is that deluded he thinks video games could be responsible for shootings too!

A federally financed gun buyback scheme was needed to make the plan work, he said.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Everyone has an opinion even little Johnny, he is probably right right about the buyback having a positive effect on
mass murders caused by a lunatic with a gun. But you can still get a gun here they just made it harder to get them which IMHO is right.
The US is a different kettle of fish and he needs to keep his nose out of their politics, the two countries are no where near the same. What is right for one is not necessarily right for the other.
There is something really wrong about this gun buyback in the US, almost like they have set this up from the beginning.
I think for the moment they need to keep their guns and stop this legislation going through, peacefully of course.
No doubt any force shown by the protestors will be met with a greater force and thats not good for anyone.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
From an interesting article in 2009 (I don't know if there's been any significant change since then):

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:
•In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
•Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
•Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:
•Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
•During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
•Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
•At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
•Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

While this doesn't prove that more guns would impact crime rates, it does prove that gun control is a flawed policy. Furthermore, this highlights the most important point: gun banners promote failed policy regardless of the consequences to the people who must live with them, says the Examiner.

www.ncpa.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras
There is something really wrong about this gun buyback in the US, almost like they have set this up from the beginning.

Well, a lot of people believe Port Arthur and Sandy Hook were both orchestrated events to do exactly that. If it's true, then Howard would probably be the one of the best advisors for Obama. That would be if the 2nd amendment didn't exist of course...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
"Little Johnny is an oportunist bottom feeder who saw an opening after Port Arthur and went for the jugular,he even had gun grabbers from the UN help write the new laws.The files from Port Arthur are sealed for 30 years in the interests of public safety as there are a lot of things that dont add up concerning that masacare

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilder
The files from Port Arthur are sealed for 30 years in the interests of public safety...

So in other words, the public would riot if we knew what those files contained?

What else could that possibly mean?
edit on 18/1/13 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Yeah why not, the more you look into things the more you find doesn't add up.
What I wrote in the previous post was that Mass murder hasn't happened since the gun buyback. You also have to take into account haw many immigrants we have taken in, the fact that we have had a recession as well.
All these things point to many people committing desperate acts to survive, so yeah crime would have to increase.
So maybe, Hoddle Street, Queen street and Port Arthur were either setups or maybe some crazy assholes got hold of guns and killed people.
And, if you cant easily get hold of a gun its a lot harder to kill so many people without being taken out first.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by Bilder
The files from Port Arthur are sealed for 30 years in the interests of public safety...

So in other words, the public would riot if we knew what those files contained?

What else could that possibly mean?
edit on 18/1/13 by NuclearPaul because: typo

Im guessing they certainly wouldnt be happy,there is a mountain of evidence out there that dosnt match the official story like the Tasmanian govt buy a 22 man meat wagon in the months prior to the incident and selling it shortly after,if your interested I will dig up some of the imformation thats out there,its very enlightening
edit on 18-1-2013 by Bilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
That makes sense..

Take our money through taxes.. give our money back to us in exchange for our guns...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
AARRGGH!! Just seeing that little media junkie's name in print makes me want to upchuck my wheaties. I'll never get over watching the wanker wear a bullet-proof vest to address the S.S.A.A. ..any one of the people there could have popped him in his fat little head at 200m, so the vest was just him saying to the cameras "Look at me!! Look how brave I am talking to these gun-crazed nutjobs!" Honestly, I don't lose my cool much, but that freak just burns my toast..

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
From an interesting article in 2009 (I don't know if there's been any significant change since then):

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:
•In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.

Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:
•Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
•During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
•At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
•Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

While this doesn't prove that more guns would impact crime rates, it does prove that gun control is a flawed policy. Furthermore, this highlights the most important point: gun banners promote failed policy regardless of the consequences to the people who must live with them, says the Examiner.

www.ncpa.org...

What exactly do you do in America when you have to stand up for yourself and punch a guy in the face? Are you worried the guy will run and grab a gun and shoot you? Is this why all the hard American "carry"? Because they are cowards that cant defend themselves? I guess if you have a gun on your hip you dont have to worry about physical confrontations?

Assualts going up is a good thing. As long as a gun isnt used then what is the harm?

The crime rate going up has to do with other factors and it would have gone up anyway even if Australians had kept their guns which were mostly used for hunting in low crime country areas.

Australians were never big on using guns for protection. Australian society has changed alot since the gun ban and many factors contribute to the statistics you present to further your agenda.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by HenryNorris

What exactly do you do in America when you have to stand up for yourself and punch a guy in the face?

Seriously? Does this happen all the time in the rest of the world or something?

I'm getting this image, the way some posters talk, that the UK and Australia and plenty of Euro nations are just loaded with drunken children all yelling and punching each other.

I dont know anyone who has ever had to "stand up" for himself or just had to "punch a guy in the face" past the age of 8.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Well if you are going to take someone's property by fiat....at least pay them for it.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HenryNorris

Assualts going up is a good thing. As long as a gun isnt used then what is the harm?

Is that what you tell the children of your country? Don't worry about getting beat . . . at least you didn't get shot!

Our (world's) media has done a good job of painting America to be some lawless wasteland . . . I can just see you aussies with visions of Humungus chasing down little kids to steal their oil/gas . . . when will Mel come and save us?

Next will UK an AUS blame their violent crime on America's gun culture too? They already blame our video games, our movies, etc. Mexico claims they only have crime because Americans like drugs and we ship guns to their country.

I really wish we could go back to a time of isolationism and leave the rest of the world to rot . . . No more foreign aid or military assistance. No more huddled masses to be allowed. No favored status for trade. Ahh . . . Utopia.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Gun buy backs are great for getting rid of old rusty guns and a few working ones from people who don't want them and would likely never leave their house anyway or have bullets for it. How else would people buy new guns

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryNorris

Assualts going up is a good thing.

Henry,
Wait, so it is fine to get thumped? Beaten to a bloody pulp w brain damage?

As for Aussies and guns, you didn't tickle the natives when dealing with them dija?

Not sur where you thought process is taking this.

Derek

new topics

top topics

join