It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sydney swelters to hottest day on record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Haven't seen this posted anywhere and did a quick search. Sorry if it has been posted somewhere I didn't see but thought would like to share this info with other ATS members globally.....

Sydney has sweltered through its hottest day in history, causing scores of heat-related illnesses, transport chaos and even melting roads and ice rinks.

The mercury hit 45.8C at Sydney's Observatory Hill at 2.55pm (AEDT) on Friday, exceeding the previous record of 45.3C set on January 14, 1939.

The record temperature was similar to that recorded in places in the NSW far west, such as White Cliffs, which sweated the day out in around 44C heat.

That was topped by temperatures in Penrith, in western Sydney, which reached 46.5C.

45 to 46 degrees Celcius = 113 to 115 F.

Temp records were also broken at other areas across Sydney's west today. Forecasts had expected temperatures to peak only around 39 degrees today so it was not like these temperatures were anticipated.

Elsehwere around the state we have had temp records broken.....

Central Coast shelters through hottest day on record

Central Coast residents have sweltered as the region recorded its hottest day ever.

There was no escaping the scorching temperature with the mercury topping out at 44C at Gosford at 2pm.

However, that was mild compared to some suburbs, with Express Advocate readers reporting readings of 45C at Watanobbi and Gorokan and 46C at West Gosford.

Nobbys hits 42.5 as records topple

NOBBYS Beach has recorded its highest temperature with the mercury hitting 42.5 degrees at 3.20pm.

Nobbys' previous hottest day on record was 42 degrees on December 23, 1990.

In the Valley, Williamtown claimed a top of 44.8 degrees, beating its New Years Day record of 44.4 degrees in 2006.

Not an all time high but one for the current month...

Canberra sets new record for January temperature

Canberra has recorded its second hottest-day on record but relief is on the way.

As the city paused to commemorate 10 years since the devastating firestorm of 2003, the Bureau of Meteorology's latest observations put the day's high point at 41.6 degrees. It is the hottest January day since records began in 1939.

Rain has been evaporating before it hits the ground but a cool change is on the way and lower temperatures are forecast for the next few days.

Bureau of Meteorology duty forecaster Nick Bright said the hottest day on record in Canberra was February 1, 1968, when the temperature hit 42.2 degrees.

Recall a couple of weeks ago, Hobart recorded its top ever temperature record and Australia had its hottest day ever on average, since records have been kept...

Hobart swelters through hottest on record - January 04, 2013

HOBART has sweltered through its hottest day since records began in 1883.

The island capital hit 41.8C at 4.05pm (AEDT), smashing the previous high of 40.8C set in January 1976.

That record had stood since 1899, when the mercury hit 40.1C.

Australia Scorches In Record Heatwave As Warming Trends Bite - January 09, 2013

Australia set a new record for the highest national area-average temperature, recording 40.33 °C (104F) and surpassing the previous record set on 21 December 1972 (40.17 °C). To date (data up to the 7 January 2013) the national area-average for each of the first 7 days of 2013 has been in the top 20 hottest days on record, with 6 January the fifth hottest on record and the first time 6 consecutive days over 39 °C (102F) has ever been recorded for Australia.

It's getting very warm down under even while a cold snap hits other parts of the world.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

Its been quite pleasant in melbourne. Yesterday was a bit of a nightmare I suppose although it was only at night, it was about 36 C at 10pm or something and all during the night. It really is killer living in Australia if you dont have a good hat and some screening. I rock an Akubra all day everyday.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

Karma comes back to bite ya...

This bar graph shows Kyoto Parties with first period (2008-2012) greenhouse gas emissions limitations targets and the percentage change in their carbon dioxide emissions from fuel combustion between 1990 and 2009. The Kyoto targets apply to a “basket” of six greenhouse gases and allow sinks (i.e., activities that remove carbon from the atmosphere) and international credits to be used for compliance with the target. The overall EU-15 target under the Protocol is 8%, but the member countries have agreed on a burden-sharing arrangement as shown. Some countries (e.g., France) have a target of 0%, and consequently no bar for their target appears on the graph. Note that emissions from Monaco are included with France. This graph is based on data taken from the International Energy Agency (IEA) publication

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
It was a scorching 44 here in the Hunter!! Just had a beautiful change, we had a thunderstorm roll over and that cooled things down and settled a few fires, taking a lot of pressure off our fire fighters. We had the smoke haze of the Cessnock fires filling up our valley here, so it got a bit scary for a while! Bless the rain, but those lightning strikes are coming down pretty darn close to the mine sites, and on top of a few mountains. Staying on bushfire alert definitely!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Yeah the Carbon Nazis have been waiting 3 years for a really hot summer so they could spruik their global warming propaganda and they havnt wasted any time,even the dopey redhead Gillard made reference to it the other day

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I think your title says it all

the important part to remember temperatures in Australia have only been recorded since around 1860 and those temperatures are very inaccurate.

most likely a temperature guage would have been located in a green feild as opposed to an airport tarmac.

to give an idea about how things are cyclical and how people tend to jump on something that they think is unusual.

20 Nov 2009 a cluster of icebergs where seen floating past new zealands southern region which was at the time proof of global warming/ climate change.
This same incident took place in 1931 some 78 years earlier.

point being that even though these temperatures where high, it does not mean that this is an isolated event

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
i live in Sydney..and by far today was the hottest day ive ever felt. Its funny because right now its actually getting colder. We get 4 seasons in a week in Australia now.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Right now, there is a season of "I’m a Celebrity" running in the German TV (yay, but seriously: it is fun to watch those not-or-never-anymore-celebrities after a working day), and they evacuated the oldest member of about 68 years because of those high temperatures.

Yesterday, they sat around the camp fire wearing long-arm shirts and vests, it seems that the hot temperatures are cooling down in New South Wales (28° 15′ 21″ S, 153° 21′ 2″ O)?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
official temp today was 46.7 where i live......

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Let's face it.There's been on going highly strange weather all over the world.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
The main thing is to keep hydrated. Lots of water is the key to enduring and actually feeling alright in these temps. Those who die or get heat stroke do so from not hydrating with water (not soda or beer which remove water from the body). Surprisingly not everybody knows these things, so they bear repeating. Tell your friends (but not your enemies!)
edit on 18-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
Let's face it.There's been on going highly strange weather all over the world.

If you mean strange in your lifetime then you may be correct, but strange on a longer time frame? not so sure.

I can only talk of Australia where we get cyclones (hurricanes in the northern hemisphere) we generally get them from around november to march, now if we where to get one in April people would consider that strange, even stranger to get one in July, but it has happened, in fact a cyclone has crossed the Australian coast line in every month of the year, what we may consider strange may just be a natural occurance.

weather is cyclical, 7 year, 70 year and 700 years ect......... as we only live for around 70 years we really only see the 7 year cycles, as pointed out in my earlier post about the icebergs, 78 years seperates the incidents and if they went back a further 70 years they would probably have seen them again.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Sucks that this does nothing but feed the man made global warming industry people.

Personally, I think we dont know crap about this planet we live on. Yes, our pollution sucks and kills or hurts people in the areas where it happens.

But I feel that the planet has many natural periods or phases that we dont know about. I do believe the earth is warming, but us ants are not the cause.

Peace

top topics

join