It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US proposes violent games tax

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I would also say that religions should be taxed before video games.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

She says the bill is meant to raise money for law enforcement and mental health services.

Steal our violence to pay for theirs, brilliant!

"Buy more video games, it would fund this to a greater extent," Franklin says.

Buy! Buy! Buy! The sky is the limit!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
They always using "my games" as an excuse..screw that!!!!

But nobody's talking about Hollywood and their VIOLENT MOVIES!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
This must be the blame game.

Blame the guns.
Blame the video games.
Blame the Movies.
Blame the mental health system.
Blame the medicine.

When do we blame the people who commit these crimes?

BTW I think the last two things I mentioned do carry some of the blame.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

I agree

When will we see the end of taxes to fix it? and the blaming of everything on games?

It's a joke really. Mental health is what gets mass shootings happening, when people feel they can't take anymore and want others to suffer or they may have just went stalk raving mad many reasons for it but computer games are on the lower side of causes for me.

Can we have a tax on political BS instead?

Sounds better and would create billions that could be used to help mental health sufferers, instead of hitting more peoples pockets in an already failing economy

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Ok im a pretty hardcore longtime gamer although i don't live in America it wont be long before it comes to uk, like I said I play alot of games especially voilent ones and I dont go around shooting people or thinking im a ninja or anything so think of another way

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I watched a video that was linked in another thread about gun crime. I think it has allot of relevance to this thread.

I really enjoyed it and had not seen it previous to reading the thread.
Some of you will have seen the video and some may not.
edit on 19/1/13 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Well some countries have banned some video games outright. Take Australia for instance they have banned a long list of things besides guns. They have banned several video games, movies, books, and internet sites. Some of the odd items they have banned are laser pointers and some type of Yo-Yo’s.

Don’t let them tax the games because just like banning things once they learn they can get away with it on one subject(item) they will soon apply that logic to other items as well.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Remember when Columbine happened, and they tried to blame video games? I remember my parents trying to stop us from playing Goldeneye on Nintendo64, until we taught them how to play. They were terrible, but realized that it was all in fun and us kids weren't going to get it mixed up with the real world. A violent game tax would do nothing, other than cause people to pay more taxes. It's just another unjustified tax. Like luxury taxes. If you own a boat, motorcycle, or RV, you have to pay a luxury tax. It doesn't matter if you live on the boat, the motorcycle is your primary transportation, or you live in the RV, you still have to pay the luxury tax on it. How stupid is it that you have to pay a tax for something you already own? Of course, this gaming tax would be a one time charge, but it's essentially the same, as they're both ridiculous unnecessary taxes.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
This must be the blame game.

Blame the guns.
Blame the video games.
Blame the Movies.
Blame the mental health system.
Blame the medicine.

When do we blame the people who commit these crimes?

BTW I think the last two things I mentioned do carry some of the blame.

Agreed to a certain extent especially since you do see some validity to the health system and/or medicine many of these people who commit these crimes are on or withdrawn from.

It is far easier for our politicos to point their finger and enact a tax on an object than actually address the issue; as is also easier for their constituents to consume and continue to turn a blind eye that there is something seriously wrong with Prozac, Plaxil, Cymbalta, Ritilan, etc..... too many middle-class peoples are taking these and enjoying their guilt free joy ride (I am not knocking the people that are stable enough to handle these) to want them to be studied.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Anundeniabletruth

I would agree, plus there's already a sales tax anyway, more tax won't stop people from buying them. Houses of worship generate a lot of cash, I don't know about other religions, but can you imagine the tax revenue that could be generated by churches? Even small congregations take in several thousand dollars every Sunday. God (or whomever) knows how much places like the Crystal Cathedral, and the Brownsville Revival take in.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by cornucopia

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie

www.news.com.au

VIOLENT video games could soon be hit with a sales tax.

US congresswoman Diane Franklin said her proposed tax would help to "finance mental health programs and law enforcement measures to prevent mass shootings."

Since the Sandy Hook massacre in November in which 20 children and six adults were killed, American politicians and lobbyists have been pointing the finger at violent video games as the catalysts for the countless massacres that have occurred in the US over the last 50 years.

(visit the link for the full news article)

great idea, i support it...

actually i would ban all violent games and educate the game makers on proper ways of creating a civilized species...

In this world that you live in, would you ban books like "The Art of War", and history books that contain violence?
How about movies, and violent sports? How about banning all animals who attack their prey and consume it alive???
You should probably ban the imagination too, so that no one can come up wwith anything violent in the future....

yep ban all darkness from the planet

ahhh...

feel that?

peace...

bliss

abundance

for all

Sounds good, but you don't think that you could actually "ban all darkness from the planet" do you? Anyway, reading some of your other posts, I'd like to know what planet you live on, because I'd like to move there.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honkwoo1486
Ok im a pretty hardcore longtime gamer although i don't live in America it wont be long before it comes to uk, like I said I play alot of games especially voilent ones and I dont go around shooting people or thinking im a ninja or anything so think of another way

Kieth Vaz MP has been on a one man crusade against pretty much all forms of computer games and is widely regarded as a bit of a nob as a result. In fact, in the last budget there was tax relief for Games developers to promote the industry, plus we already pay 20% VAT anyway when you buy a game.

Oh, forgot the posters name, but someone a few pages back asked what games can hold you for more than 60hrs? I might suggest getting off the console and playing a real mans game on a PC then. I have built up hundreds of hours in many good strategy games (Civ, Total War games to name a couple) as well as playing the latest RPG's (Elder Scrolls/Fallout etc) and FPS (Battlefield 3 for example - far batter than that CoD crap) games with all the added benefits of being on PC and looking good, not the half-arsed graphics you get on consoles..

Only console games are aimed at the "quick hit" 20 hrs market as it is largely occupied by kids and poor students....

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Well I have one thing to say about this subject. I have been a gamer all of my life. I have had a controller in my hand for as long as I can remember. I was also disciplined whenever I did something wrong. Be it back-talk or random violent tantrums. Point is I'm also a veteran. I have taken a life for my country. Video Games did not prepare me for that.

I wasn't prepared for the reality of taking a life. I didn't go in thinking I was James Bond, Master Chief, Solid Snake, or Commander Shepard. I was me, in a life or death situation. I made a choice and I have to live with that every day, for the rest of my days.

I wasn't bred by video games to be some psychopathic killer. And mental illness does run in my family. I find that all this "OH no, another shooting. The kid must have played the latest Farcry." Bull# I don't subscribe to that theory. Nor do I subscribe to the thought of taxing video games just to pay for a useless study. They have already conducted the same study numerous times. The results are always inconclusive. Coincidental and hardly admissible in any court, because it should work the other way around. If violent video games create killers, then people should know how to protect against said "Attackers".

Violent video games... if anything help a person sublimate their violent urges to something that doesn't hurt anything but a bit of data.

Dammit all... v.v What's this world coming to?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

That must be a state tax you are talking about but here in Florida you don’t pay luxury tax on a boat if that is your primary residence I think that applies to RVs as well.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Maybe so, either way. Stupid useless tax.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

www.news.com.au

VIOLENT video games could soon be hit with a sales tax.

US congresswoman Diane Franklin said her proposed tax would help to "finance mental health programs and law enforcement measures to prevent mass shootings."

Since the Sandy Hook massacre in November in which 20 children and six adults were killed, American politicians and lobbyists have been pointing the finger at violent video games as the catalysts for the countless massacres that have occurred in the US over the last 50 years.

great idea, i support it...

actually i would ban all violent games and educate the game makers on proper ways of creating a civilized species...

In this world that you live in, would you ban books like "The Art of War", and history books that contain violence?
How about movies, and violent sports? How about banning all animals who attack their prey and consume it alive???
You should probably ban the imagination too, so that no one can come up wwith anything violent in the future....

yep ban all darkness from the planet

ahhh...

feel that?

peace...

bliss

abundance

for all

Sounds good, but you don't think that you could actually "ban all darkness from the planet" do you? Anyway, reading some of your other posts, I'd like to know what planet you live on, because I'd like to move there.

i'm from the the Pleiades star system, we live in utopias there, we are Human and we are very much in your future

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Nother reason to pirate..

Get your hand outta my pocket

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

www.news.com.au

The Last 50 years....? Let me do the math here. it's 2013 Super Mario was released in 1985... That's only 28. oh wait what about pong...1972... so 41 years. Or we could do Computer space which was released in 1971. making it a total of 42 years. How do they get 50 years of massacres if the first violent video game...., I'd say Doom was the earliest FPS that I could think of being released in 1993. So 20 years, at max. Why are they trying to push for wide string of massacres over the past 50 years.... if FPS's have been around for 20 years.

edit on 19/1/2013 by SemperParatusRJCC because: I haven't slept all night leave my spelling alone xDD j/k love you guys

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Maybe they should have a violent United States military tax too. My kid has seen more war footage than simulated war video game footage.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join