It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US proposes violent games tax

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Hmm on second thoughts Ive decided not to - ignore this post.

If anyone's interested in what I was gonna post about just Google, 'Jimquisition Desensitized to Violence' , this Jim Sterlings video blog episode about this subject and the recent shooting is pretty much on the money in my opinion.

Hopefully this proposal goes no where. Oh the stupidity...
edit on 18-1-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
At $60 dollars a pop already an added sales tax like this will kill the console market.

edit on 18-1-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

You say kill the console market...like its a bad thing...

-pc gamer-

Anyhow, the reason games are 60 bucks a pop is because gamers will pay 60 bucks a pop...Watch what happens on steam to a game that doesn't get as popular..it goes down quickly..until it hits a price people will pay. Sometimes that price being about 10$.

Console gaming destroys the gaming industry as a whole...I am edging towards a off topic rant, so snipping it here...

Point is, even if they put a big tax on games, it would still be about 50 bucks...because that's what people will pay on a single purchase for a basic game..they will factor in the tax and simply remove some of the profit.

Incidently, I am opposed to this tax. Not very strongly mind you...but it does of course effect something I enjoy and believe to be part of the solution moreso than a factor in the problem...hard to say you oppose a tax that helps people, but this is a superstition tax. There is no evidence violent vid games do anything to encourage violence..and there is evidence to support higher brain functions and generally being smarter from playing games...aka, this helps peoples minds from what the evidence shows so far...

Not grumping about it being a tax to begin with..well, we all hate taxes..-moan, whine-, fine..but the nature of this tax on violent video games is a silent acceptance that violent video games contributes to violence...which is factually incorrect..it should be struck down just on those guidelines.

Instead, I would support a video game industry lead movement for contributions towards mental health..with fame and all that (biggest percent contributors list, most contributions, games through sales that have done significance, etc..a yearly awards ceremony maybe) for them chipping in a certain amount of their sales profits for certain causes..

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Alot of video games get their violence straight fromt the pages of the old testament.

Id agree to a tax on violent video games in exchange for a tax on religion.

Come to think of it...you don't often see people quoting qbert when doing some horrible acts...however, you do often hear of religious radicals doing some destruction.

I agree...tax religion to help mental illness (some would call this irony)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dogstar23

I think there is far more evidence that SSRIs, corn syrup, and aspartame, and preservatives in foods contribute to outbursts of violence than there is that video games do. The deleterious effects these toxic, mind-altering chemicals have on the brain may help push the susceptible over the edge.

I am not sure about the others, but SSRIs; the one link in all these cases; is being ignored and swept under the rug. NRA is influential but the Pharmaceutical Lobby puts the Gun-Lobby to shame with their influence and how deep their hands are in the politicos pockets, media's pockets and in the minds of many American's doped up on their "feel-good, forget life" drugs.

When I was a bit younger I went through a life-changing moment (divorce while serving in the military and kids moved to different state) and I thought some good ole' SSRI would solve my problems. Within one week, this healthy (emotionally and physically) became apathetic, disconnected, unemotional, detached from reality that I dumped them down the drain. Now just imagine pumping those drugs through a body and mind that is still developing and raging with hormones......

But its the video games....

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I would like to say one more thing on this...
Gonna wave the flag here..
At least our gub-ment isn't as bad as Germany and Australia that have pretty much banned any violent video game, treating their entire population like a bunch of children...and against any logic, reason, or facts...because some moaning deadbeat parents want to blame their unruly kids on something verses their ineffective parenting.

USA, USA, etc etc..you get the point...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
When I was a bit younger I went through a life-changing moment (divorce while serving in the military and kids moved to different state) and I thought some good ole' SSRI would solve my problems. Within one week, this healthy (emotionally and physically) became apathetic, disconnected, unemotional, detached from reality that I dumped them down the drain. Now just imagine pumping those drugs through a body and mind that is still developing and raging with hormones......

But its the video games....

The problem isn't the meds...they serve good when given to the right people...the issue is overmedicating everyone whom has a bad day. Your right...it can turn your life from a good normal life..ups and downs, into a drone zombie like existence of decay should you choose that path.
It is helpful for actual mental issues..but the regulations today to be America's drug dealer..or should say the lack of regulations,is making it to where if you aren't always smiling (but not too big of a smile), you need to have a pill...

Normally a change of life works wonders. in my 20s, I suffered heavy panic attacks..the kind your sure your going to die from sort of thing...it was the thought of getting on pills to keep me calm that made me change my entire outlook and life..if its a mental thing, and not physical, then I can change it..if I take even a single pill, that admits defeat and imprisonment to the pill forever, pushing off infinitely ever having to deal with the problem. Not an option...tempting at the time..but I don't take to being ruled by anything or anyone easily...bit of a control freak in those regards, so ya.

But some people do need things, even if temporary. Basically if the choice is swallowing a pill or a bullet..go with the pill...otherwise...change the life where possible.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Yes don't get me wrong here and I agree with you to an extent. My personal perspective after my little episode and run in turned me straight back into what I was right before I took them; a naturalist in the sense that I don't need/want medication to "fix" my world. This isn't to say that there aren't medicines that don't help the way they should.

Given that, my focus is more on how young children, teenagers who are experiencing the natural change in hormones, are being given these SSRIs that carry very serious side-effects; suicidal tendencies, violent behavior, etc. Hitting puberty is tough enough to handle but you start messing with the chemistry to try and "fix" it (along with "fixing" the lack of real parental support/care/responsibility) and you get some twisted thoughts going through your head.

At that point yes, movies, books, video games, music and other stimuli become an issue. I remember in my "younger" days I experimented while watching a movie -- it changes the way you process that information and stimulation.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I'm happy to pay a violent games tax under the following, but fair conditions.................

1. Any politician that agrees to go to war will be paying a "violent behaviour tax against innocent citizens".

2. All politicians will pay a "corruption tax" to cover for the losses the tax system will suffer due to politicians bleeding the system dry while living the high life.

3. All video game companies will be charged the same "violent games tax" as they are the ones making the games for profit, and if the games are so morally wrong, then why are they allowed to make them and profit from them, but pay no tax ?

But we all know this won't happen, just like i won't be paying a tax on video games ! And remember, if everyone stopped buying the games after the new tax is applied, then the shops and companies selling these games will have no option but to drop the tax in order to sell any of the games. But if people still keep buying the games with the new tax, then the new tax will still apply. We have the buying and barginging power, but we allow it to be taken off us and shoved back in our face's......................WHY DO WE DO THIS ?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I believe the real issue here is the fact that the government does not have the right to tell its citizens what to buy, what not to buy, what is considered safe, what is not, etc.
When government officials, whether federal, state or local, start deciding what people can eat, what they consider health, what is not health, etc. it is time to put a stop to it.
If I want to buy a game, why should it be taxed only if they consider it "violent". That is a subjective decision, and none of their damned business. Why should a school board decide to take away a child's peanut butter and jelly sandwich from my grandchild because THEY think it is not healthy? If you ever saw some of the crap(sorry for bluntness, but it's true) served in some of the school cafeterias, and saw the ingredients, you would be appalled.
When an idiot mayor of a large city decides to outlaw large sodas, they have gone too far. When a government decides what causes crime, and then bans that item, when the statistics show just the opposite, then they have overreached their authority.
I long for the day when they go so far, that the American public puts a permanent stop to them. That day is getting closer.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
-_- wow, point fingers at something other then themselves. Video Games arn't the problem, it's bad parenting.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
screw those stupid politicians. They keep calling for more taxes and its time for us to put our feet down. They have more than enough money as it is but still want more. We need to assemble and end this ridiculous tax crusade. This needs to end

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie

www.news.com.au

VIOLENT video games could soon be hit with a sales tax.

US congresswoman Diane Franklin said her proposed tax would help to "finance mental health programs and law enforcement measures to prevent mass shootings."

Since the Sandy Hook massacre in November in which 20 children and six adults were killed, American politicians and lobbyists have been pointing the finger at violent video games as the catalysts for the countless massacres that have occurred in the US over the last 50 years.

(visit the link for the full news article)

great idea, i support it...

actually i would ban all violent games and educate the game makers on proper ways of creating a civilized species...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cornucopia

www.news.com.au

US congresswoman Diane Franklin said her proposed tax would help to "finance mental health programs and law enforcement measures to prevent mass shootings."

Since the Sandy Hook massacre in November in which 20 children and six adults were killed, American politicians and lobbyists have been pointing the finger at violent video games as the catalysts for the countless massacres that have occurred in the US over the last 50 years.

actually i would ban all violent games and educate the game makers on proper ways of creating a civilized species...

In this world that you live in, would you ban books like "The Art of War", and history books that contain violence?
How about movies, and violent sports? How about banning all animals who attack their prey and consume it alive???
You should probably ban the imagination too, so that no one can come up wwith anything violent in the future....

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Instead of a "VIOLENT video games sales tax.", how about a stupid politician rebate, we can start with her job next time she comes up for it.

She is in dire need of a mental health program , one that concentrates on common sense, and the lack thereof.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

Originally posted by cornucopia

www.news.com.au

In this world that you live in, would you ban books like "The Art of War", and history books that contain violence?
How about movies, and violent sports? How about banning all animals who attack their prey and consume it alive???
You should probably ban the imagination too, so that no one can come up wwith anything violent in the future....

yep ban all darkness from the planet

ahhh...

feel that?

peace...

bliss

abundance

for all

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I diagree with a lot of you guys, of course video games are resposible, i am a massive fantasy rpg fan and have spent at least three years pretending to be a dragon!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cornucopia

Star for you, for maintaining the high road!....

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

God, when will these people stop blaming video games. Violence in video games does not cause violence in society. It is violence in society that causes video games to be violent. Hell, plenty of video game producers got the ideas for game sequences and even whole missions from events that happened in real life. Its time for people to grow up and stop blaming games, movies, music, etc. for societies ills, and admit that it society itself that is to blame.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Wow...

Any way they can steal our guns, black mail our most ignrorant people emotionally, and suck more money out of us.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Anything to make people believe that they are doing "something" and that they actually care when we all know deep down these guys don't.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join