It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US proposes violent games tax

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Alot of video games get their violence straight fromt the pages of the old testament.

Id agree to a tax on violent video games in exchange for a tax on religion.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imsodone
reply to post by ownbestenemy

yes, gun violence was never a problem until atari released pong.

And the violence only got worse when they released Combat and Gunslinger!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by Imsodone

No, if they want the tax they will get it. Hollywood will be ignored. The star actors calling for a stop to violence as they shoot 50 people in their next film will be ignored. Movies can't be the problem because they're used as propaganda... like Hitler did. Video games, anything that involves free speech, that's the bad guy! Not the fact that 7 out of 10 americans are on mind numbing hallucinogens. Nope. Video games did it.
edit on 18-1-2013 by Imsodone because: (no reason given)

I understand where you are coming from, I do, but the Federal government will have an uphill battle in this regard. For example: cigarettes and alcohol can actually have a detrimental effect and while I disagree with the argument, the excise tax in place does have some footing. As for video games or Hollywood, how can you distinguish the two? You lament about Hollywood but then say video games should get a pass?

I agree with you in the sense that video games are not the cause (but also believe that violent movies/books/plays are also not the cause) but cannot see how you can be so upset about the one and not the other.

I posted in another thread something that will fit here so going to xpost

I agree with you to a point, gun bans/confiscations are not the answer. Where I disagree is with violence in video games and movies, I do not think this is the answer to the problem either. I think the problem lies with parenting and with the government for tying parents hands and not letting them disclipline thier kids. When I was growing up, if I did something wrong it resulted in being grounded and when real young with a spanking or smack on the rump. Our society has brainwashed parents into thinking that when little jimmy misbehaves that a "timeout" is the correct way to disclipline a child. Pair that with parents just not being involved in the lives of their kids, and you wind up with a problem of epic proportions. This is not just to blame parents because it is governments fault also, they are the ones that demonized people that discliplined thier children with a spanking and they are the ones that made it an impossibilty to have a parent home to actually raise the kids because a family cannot survive on one income. How long has this been going on, you guessed it for about 25 years now.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It's not video games or guns. Everybody wants to blame some inanimate noun. Passing the buck(shot).

It's a ring of psychotics dead set on owning and controlling the world and putting in a nightmare dystopian state and they stage these things to get their way.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Alot of video games get their violence straight fromt the pages of the old testament.

Id agree to a tax on violent video games in exchange for a tax on religion.

....Really? Black Ops2 and Half like are in there?!

Wow so cool!

I havent seen the David and Goliath one yet, or Shiva and Ganesh Attacks yet..but then again you did mention the bible specifically so I guess other religions dont apply, even tho you tried to make it SEEM like you were including all of them, we all really know, from your past posts, that you just mean christianity.....

Are they coming out with a Budist FPS soon?

Just FYI the video games that DID use gods........mostly all came from Greek Mythology.......not Judaism, or any othe religion........

My god man your bias against religion is so rabid thats its made you retarded
edit on 18-1-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Rezlooper, in that case, we should ban paintball, rubber band guns, cap guns, horror movies and bad thoughts...oh and nightmares.

Mario is violent, he kills bowser to get the princess! Pac-man is too, all he wanted to do is run around some halls eating pills like they are candy, but no, some bully ghosts have to chase him. Then he eats the big pill in the corner and trys to eat the ghosts!

Other then sports, racing,sim and puzzle games, there are just about no games out there that do not involve some sort of killing or using violence to make the bad guys "go away". Honestly think about it and then understand that they will not stop at the really bad games once they have a taste of power. They didn't stop at guns.

Ridiculous argument. You don't see blood, guts and gore playing paintball. In the 'first person shooter' video games, the more violent the death scene, the better.

Don't worry, banning video games will never happen, but at least admit that they desensitize our children to violence. It's like a pilot learns to fly through a flight simulator, these mass-murderers learned to kill through their simulator, the video games. We provided a fun and exciting training ground to teach these kids how to kill and then we're shocked when they go out and do it. Then we blame the guns.

Just like I said before...the mass murder scene is a re-enactment for these kids as they walk through the scene and pick off easy targets one by one...just like in the video game.

There are other weapons used in these games so even if all the guns were taken away, these deranged video gamer's (and I'm not saying all, only the sick and mentally ill kids playing them) would settle for the other weapons of choice...maybe a sword, knives, slingshots, whatever it may be, to wreak the same havoc they've done with guns. It won't stop because they took guns away...only after they outlaw these violent death scene video games.

As the video games got more violent over the past 15 years ever since the Doom series in the mid-90's, the mass-murderers grew in their shock and awe! It started with Columbine in 1999 and culminates with Sandy Hook. It's almost as if each of these mass-murderers were competing with each other in a video game of life to see who could kill more or shock more! Lanza finally shocked the hell out of all of us when he went after tiny little children. In effect, among the game these mass-murderers were playing, Lanza is winning and it scares the hell out of me to think what the next nut job is planning to top that one off!

Now it's time to turn the game off and taking away the weapons they use isn't the answer - it's the power button on the games themselves!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper

Originally posted by XL5
Rezlooper, in that case, we should ban paintball, rubber band guns, cap guns, horror movies and bad thoughts...oh and nightmares.

Mario is violent, he kills bowser to get the princess! Pac-man is too, all he wanted to do is run around some halls eating pills like they are candy, but no, some bully ghosts have to chase him. Then he eats the big pill in the corner and trys to eat the ghosts!

Other then sports, racing,sim and puzzle games, there are just about no games out there that do not involve some sort of killing or using violence to make the bad guys "go away". Honestly think about it and then understand that they will not stop at the really bad games once they have a taste of power. They didn't stop at guns.

Ridiculous argument. You don't see blood, guts and gore playing paintball. In the 'first person shooter' video games, the more violent the death scene, the better.

Don't worry, banning video games will never happen, but at least admit that they desensitize our children to violence. It's like a pilot learns to fly through a flight simulator, these mass-murderers learned to kill through their simulator, the video games. We provided a fun and exciting training ground to teach these kids how to kill and then we're shocked when they go out and do it. Then we blame the guns.

Just like I said before...the mass murder scene is a re-enactment for these kids as they walk through the scene and pick off easy targets one by one...just like in the video game.

There are other weapons used in these games so even if all the guns were taken away, these deranged video gamer's (and I'm not saying all, only the sick and mentally ill kids playing them) would settle for the other weapons of choice...maybe a sword, knives, slingshots, whatever it may be, to wreak the same havoc they've done with guns. It won't stop because they took guns away...only after they outlaw these violent death scene video games.

As the video games got more violent over the past 15 years ever since the Doom series in the mid-90's, the mass-murderers grew in their shock and awe! It started with Columbine in 1999 and culminates with Sandy Hook. It's almost as if each of these mass-murderers were competing with each other in a video game of life to see who could kill more or shock more! Lanza finally shocked the hell out of all of us when he went after tiny little children. In effect, among the game these mass-murderers were playing, Lanza is winning and it scares the hell out of me to think what the next nut job is planning to top that one off!

Now it's time to turn the game off and taking away the weapons they use isn't the answer - it's the power button on the games themselves!!!

You have proof of this? Sorry, I don't buy it...as a long time gamer having played several games for about 30 years, I have never had the urge to kill, maim, or dismember. And the list of games I have played is extensive, everything from Ultima III: Exodus to Delta Force, to Skyrim.

It's time for people to realize that THEY are the problem. It all in the end boils down to bad parenting and greed, NOT guns, NOT video games, NOT movies, NOT Music, it all comes back to parents not being involved and actual disclipline and greed.

edit on 18-1-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

It isn't that ridiculous if you understand one of the first lessons one learns in proper handling of a firearm; if you are pointing it at someone you better be ready to use it. This is the starkest parallel in regards to paintball. You are actually pointing a weapon at someone and pulling a trigger.

I am not saying it leads to the use of a real firearm, but the actions involved, the active nature of act becomes easier than that of someone with a controller in their hand pressing buttons that send electrical signals to a micro-processor to make millions of LEDs light up in a fashion that depicts a firing of a weapon.

...but at least admit that they desensitize our children to violence. It's like a pilot learns to fly through a flight simulator, these mass-murderers learned to kill through their simulator, the video games.

Now this is a ridiculous argument that is contrived at best with no actual evidence to the contrary. While a flight-simulator prepares a pilot they are done so with the actual controls of that of what they would experience. Up until a few years ago (we have to include Duck Hunt in this too I suppose), the use of a weapon shaped like a controller isn't prevalent among the general community of gamers. This is why the paint-ball analogy is more accurate because of the actual "act" is taking place.

It won't stop because they took guns away...only after they outlaw these violent death scene video games.

What was the trigger for say Jack the Ripper? A violent book? Or the Manson Family? Movies? Lets continue to not look at the people who do this and instead blame anything and everything but them (and the drugs they are nearly all on when they commit these heinous crimes.)
edit on 18-1-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

Good for you for not being one of the weak-minded, but that's who I'm referring to, the mentally ill who don't need much of a trigger. I'm not saying every gamer is a nut job...my brother is a nut job for games but I highly doubt he would go out on a mass-murder spree either.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Let's not start comparing serial killers and cult leaders to mass-murderers.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Taxes: the answer to every world's problem!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Let's not start comparing serial killers and cult leaders to mass-murderers.

Out of all that, this is what you want to reply with? Why shouldn't we? They killed people, why shouldn't they also be included? What is the difference? You want to compartmentalize the situation to fit your narrative; you don't want to discuss and debate.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This doesn't actually surprise me at all. Somehow in the last 2 decades a goog majority of parents went from being completely responsible for everything their child does to apparently having 0 accountability.

When I was a kid I played GI-Joe with my friends. Built forts and played soldier. Even had some water guns and cap guns to run around shooting my friends with. Later in life we graduated to BB guns and alot of us probably killed some poor animal not realizing how a bb could actually hurt said animal.. Most of us had a parent to sit us down and tell us the difference between right and wrong or fantasy and reality.

When I was a teenager I started watching movies like Predator, Red Dawn, and even Platoon. I watched horror movies, read stories like Of Mice and Men, Red Badge of Courage, Diary of Anne Frank. All this stuff is riddled with violence. Played all sorts of violent video games in the arcades before Nintendo even existed.

Not once in my life have I ever had the urge or even thought of shooting anyone or harming anyone.

Ever since Columbine they have been trying to find an answer to blame it all on. It's impossible for the parents of these kids to go ok yea I screwed up and didn't realize that my kid built a small arsenal in the basement. Instead of looking at what might have caused Lanza or any of the other violent offenders to do what they did. The parents/government go oooh lets blame the music, tv, movies, or even better Grand Theft Auto...

Reminds me of when they tried to ban Judas Priest's music and sue him for the guy that killed himself. It's dumb. They don't have answers and they figure there has to be one. So in lieu of an actual answer they are just creating one. Not to mention a way to make extra money out of it.

XL5

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Rezlooper, I used paintball because its a more accurate to reality FPS then games are. Sure there are no bullets and death, but it hurts to get shot by one of those things and you can't respawn. Its as close as you can be to a real shooting spree as you can get!

The govt. likes to use feel good taxes/bans on stuff untill they become normal and accepted, then they just travel down the foodchain untill nothings left (freedoms). All they need to tax/ban paintball is for one person to go to a school with a paintball gun and shooting every one, no one died but the shooter after the cops reacted on poor info.

One of the most violent games I have played was God of War, but I have yet to see/hear about any one do things like THAT. There is also Mortal Kombat...

I just don't want the world to become like the movie in Demolition Man. If you have not seen it, you are in for a treat IMO, it has that mid 80's movie feel to it yet it was made in 93'.

Its too bad I can't eat mushrooms to become big, flowers to shoot fireballs from my hand and jump on peoples heads to get the girl lol.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The bottom line with all of these ill-thought out measures the politicians are trying to push, is that they don 't have a clue. Instead, they just throw dozens of "solutions" on the wall, and hope some stick. Their entire philosophy consists of just being able to say that they have "done something", whether the solution makes sense or not. Do something, then go back to their criminal activities of stealing wealth from the working class, and giving it to their friends.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

BRB going to watch 72 hour marathon alternating The Patriot and Braveheart.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
This country is getting ridiculous and we are supposed to be free. It is time to replace the government with people who are there for the people, not for their own stupid beliefs. Taxing anything is not going to solve anything. When our we going to stand up and do something? After all of our freedoms are gone?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I think there is far more evidence that SSRIs, corn syrup, and aspartame, and preservatives in foods contribute to outbursts of violence than there is that video games do. The deleterious effects these toxic, mind-altering chemicals have on the brain may help push the susceptible over the edge.

Speaking a bit more seriously, even if a violent video game "appears" to be a catalyst for a killer, it is really doing nothing more than providing the lens/mask/filter/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. If a violent video game has a villain in a purple-sequined cape firing an AK-47 into crowds of people and then someone does exactly that, it isn't the game that caused it. It is the person's weak and broken mental state, probably sprinkled with a healthy dose of childhood abuse which led to the shooting. The purple sequins were just the mask he chose. If not for the game, he would have picked a charachter from a movie, or a book, or a cartoon, or a historical figure. Just masks, lenses, nothing more.

You could sit me, you (yes, you, mr. and Mrs. Everyman/woman), and more than 99.999% of other people out there in front of the most advanced, realistic, violent video games, for 15 hours a day for 6 months straight, and guess what? None of us would go on shooting sprees.

I believe that for simply bringing up such a terrible idea, whatever she likes to do for entertainment, or whatever purchases she likes to make, should be taxed. Not for everyone, just for her. What a mindless scumbag.

It's not the screwed-up parenting (or lack thereof) in all of these broken children, it's not the SSRIs furthering the destabilization of their brains. No, no...let's make a completely and totally illogical leap and decide to tax violent video games. I suppose, being a big player of strategy games, I would be considered likely to take over the world, because that's what I do in the video games I play.

I get that evil people get into high political office, both Dem and Rep, but how do people among the top 1% stupidest of our population manage to get there? Mind-boggling!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The government makes me madder and madder everyday... I saw the gun control measures coming as soon as the sandy hook massacre went down so I was able to temper my anger somewhat. Now I am really starting to get riled up, for I do not own a gun (yet) I do however play video games. I've been playing them all my life. We need to get rid of these people. They obviously don't care about real solutions, only to appear like they are making solutions.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Darkphoenix77

Good for you for not being one of the weak-minded, but that's who I'm referring to, the mentally ill who don't need much of a trigger. I'm not saying every gamer is a nut job...my brother is a nut job for games but I highly doubt he would go out on a mass-murder spree either.

You didn't answer my question though, and when I offered my own theory you didn't disagree.....it's easy to use a scapegoat our governement has been doing that very thing for years.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join