It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US proposes violent games tax

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Then lets tax the news for having pictures of flashing lights and crime sceen tap. Lets tax books that have violent content. Lets tax TV shows that have violent content and show guns. Where do we stop all the madness? Is it really about stopping violence or is it about making sure that the elected officials don't have to take a pay cut and this is a way to make sure their paychecks do not bounce?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
What a complete joke. NO kid is going to not buy the next Call of Duty, even if it costs $100 for the game.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
We're definitely headed to the world as it is in the 80s movie 'Demolition Man'

Lenina Huxley: Smoking is not good for you, and it's been deemed that anything not good for you is bad; hence, illegal. Alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat...Bad language, chocolate, gasoline, un-educational toys and anything spicy. Abortion is also illegal, but then again so is pregnancy if you don't have a license.

Guess when the Gub-Ment is done, all we can do is sit back, sing 'I'm an Oscar Mier Wienner' and think Joy-Joy thoughts!!

Geezus.....

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

they should legalize and legalize marijuana, and decriminalize it. they want money that badly, then quit arresting people for smoking weed and we won't even need to think about videogames. oh well the government likes it the hard way i'm gonna play shellshock nam 67 for ps2 and the government can fuch off

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockoperawriter

they should legalize and legalize marijuana, and decriminalize it. they want money that badly, then quit arresting people for smoking weed and we won't even need to think about videogames. oh well the government likes it the hard way i'm gonna play shellshock nam 67 for ps2 and the government can fuch off

I have a serious question. Do you work for the government?

legalize and legalize, and decriminalize? I ask that question because only an alphabet boy would say something so strange. Add in the game I have never heard of for the ps2....

You are not helping your cause for legalization, if that is infact your cause. I still wonder if you work for the government to make all marijuana use look bad.... or if you are just really really high right now?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

Originally posted by dreamingawake
A video game tax will only promote piracy!

eh, not really.
The video game demographic is REALLY aimed at adult males in the IT industry. So with that said many of us are way more intelligent than your average folk.
Most of us realize that spending 40-60 bucks on a game that will last us 60-60000 hours is more satisfying that spending 100 bucks (diner, movie and drinks) on some stupid chick that probably wont put out anyways.

This post should be starred alot more..for its mass truth.

Now they want to take the last remaining entertainment that us gamers have that is cheap so we have no comfort zone left.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NarrowGate

no i don't work for the government. i highly oppose fitting into anything telling me what to do really. taxes, wheather or not something should be legal that in 5000 years of recorded use nobody has died. the whole taxation of violent videogames is like saying "we are financially controlling the media due to the actions of a few people" when parents should be taxed for lack of disciplinary action. i'm right i'm a Norwegian american and i stick by my story

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

At what point will the American People say enough is enough.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NONPOINT21

i have been but it just won't take with all the flouride, gmo, and propaganda.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Everyone should understand that the power to tax is the power to destroy and there is a constant debate whether taxes should be limited to fund government or taxes should be used as a form of social control. IMO its the former.

Another thing people need to understand is that the federal government has no inherent or expressed power under the constitution to legislate federal criminal law. Federal criminal law came into being through the enforcement of taxation, like the enforcement the marijuana tax stamp laws. You see, before marijuana was taxed into illegality by the federal government. To this day the federal government clings to the fact that you need to have federal tax stamp to possess marijuana and of course the federal government does not permit you to purchase a tax stamp for marijuana. The result is that the power of the federal government to tax and regulate has been twisted into the power to prohibit and criminalize. IMO its unconstitutional. The federal government has the powers granted to it under the constitution and that's it, no more, no less.

Anyway, this tax on video games is the regurgitation of the same old tired ideas that do nothing but permit the politicians to stand up for their photo ops and declare that they solved the problem. Next they will be playing albums backwards looking for satanic messages. /sarcasm

At a time when we need bright people in congress to deal with these issues, that is when you really realize that we have a bunch of corrupt imbeciles who at every turn take the opportunity to cut into the bill of rights. Neither party promotes the bill of rights, instead each party takes turns attacking the portion of the bill of rights that the other party supports. What that means is that the constitution is under constant attack by our politicians. The sooner that people realize the game that is being played, the sooner we can demand that they stop.

Attacking liberty is never the solution.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This is interesting.

Imagine your doctor asking you this in the future: "So, do you like to play video games?"

Imagine the psychological industry inventing a "gamer syndrome" where symptoms include buying video games, playing video games, obsession with video game characters.

Imagine a video game registration act, where gamers have to purchase gaming licenses.

Imagine a new pharmaceutical called Noplagamoff, a pill designed to put function into your gamers again. I can see the advertisements now: before Norplagamoff, I spent 6 hours a day on video games; now I'm not a loser and I have leveled up to reality. Thank you Norplagamoff!

Why doesn't the government put a mandatory warning before every game played, like they do with movies? Warning: exposure to the violence in this video game may bring about ideations of homicide in daily life.

They can create a violent video gamer division at DHS. Ironically, these days it's a military recruiting point if someone can handle long hours on an X-box. Are there military exemptions on these taxes?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
The proposal is ridiculous. This attempt by the MSM to associate violent massacres with playing video games is disgraceful and opportunistic.

There will be nothing left to ban at this rate...

Hate to tell you this, but the MSM isnt the one writing the bills........they just push the agenda to the masses.......

Time for people to wake up and see whats going on here.........

Again so many people upset by this, but not on other things........sucks when they come for the things you like doesnt it?(not directed at you poster)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Well before they put a tax on they will have to look at how many murders have happened with Bouncing Betty's, claymores, dog attacks, knifes, choppers, airstrikes, zombies etc.

And I be its none, then they will have to look to see if there was any murders at all in the USA with guns, and if so you cant blame video games.

And I want to know these people that committed these murders, did they lag at any time in the shooting spree enabling people to step in and shoot them.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised

I'd tax the bullets we fire in war, and every second the news media shows war footage.

War footage? When have we seen war footage of the US military on TV since WW2? The only time I see it is if I go to websites like live leak.

The only war footage we ever see is footage that makes some foreign government look like it is slaughtering its own people so that the US can attack them.

edit on 18-1-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

What a total crock of S***...... Taxing violent games and blaming mass killings on them is such a cop out... Before video games, mass killings still happened, should violent video games take responsibility for those too? This lady is bat bleep crazy.. I hope someone calls her out on this crap...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
O.k., maybe we do need to start implementing mandatory tests for critical thinking skills before you can become elected to congress, because this just takes the cake on legislative stupidity.

-TheGhoster

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
wont accomplish anything other then perhaps more people downloding illegal copies of games (torrents) or just setting up a black market for video games sad the government cant accomplish anything so they just do these thigns to make it look like they are trying or care but its just anotehr scape goat

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
You think taxing video games is bad just wait till Obamacare goes into effect. Anything deemed unhealthy will get taxed. Before you know it they'll install hamster wheels in our homes and we'll have to run on them an hour a day. What a F-n nanny state we're becoming.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
You know that no matter what happens, it all comes down to the Money. Unless this tax is substatial (like 40% of total sale) it won't deter anyone from buying a new COD or Halo. What are they going to do next? are they going to suggest anyone who fits anti- or awkward social personas will be subject to a mental health screening to purchase an "M" rated game or buy a rated "R" movie? This is either an example of over reaction in both the gov. and the public, or it kind of seems like the saying, "control their money, control their lives".

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Nobody fired games from a gun.

Last time I check there were well over 100,000,000 gamers ...probably closer to 500,000,000

How come 100,000,000 on December 14th also didn't kill people ?

Why didn't those violent games compel those people to kill ?

Because it's not the games.....it's the people.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join