It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US proposes violent games tax

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:
XL5

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Rezlooper, in that case, we should ban paintball, rubber band guns, cap guns, horror movies and bad thoughts...oh and nightmares.

Mario is violent, he kills bowser to get the princess! Pac-man is too, all he wanted to do is run around some halls eating pills like they are candy, but no, some bully ghosts have to chase him. Then he eats the big pill in the corner and trys to eat the ghosts!

Other then sports, racing,sim and puzzle games, there are just about no games out there that do not involve some sort of killing or using violence to make the bad guys "go away". Honestly think about it and then understand that they will not stop at the really bad games once they have a taste of power. They didn't stop at guns.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

What is the US gonna do? Tax itself for Wars of Mass Deception?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
As I repeatedly have said, people in other countries play violent video games yet don't come close to the same number of mass murders.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
They make too much money off of SSRI drugs to go after them......i guess video games are easy meat for the PTB>

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Egh, so what did they blame the holocaust on? Violent Radio Broadcasts? Sorry America but you seem to keep dropping the ball.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Just plain common sense tells me that if large numbers of people spend a large amount of time fantasizing about killing people in violent ways it tends to "normalize" it in society's eyes and makes it more likely to occur. Video games are not the only source of this gratuitous murder. Movies and TV are also sources.

I don't think it's necessary to pass laws against this media, though. It is going to take enlightened choice by lots of rational people.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

If you actually read the proposal they're offering a whooping 10 Million to do it. Which is basically nothing. Also at the end of the proposal they said that they believe the issue of violent games and media should be left to the parents to decide. People love blowing stuff out of proportion. They certainly do.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Well they can have Call of Duty, but thats it!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Does it ever end?

When will we stop this hell hole of a nation?

Everything they do, they try to force on the rest of the world. Thats why western nations cant have decent public health systems anymore amongst other things.

Look at what Americas "war on terror" has done to our freedom and our national budgets. Look at what these constant American wars do to our national budgets. America doesnt care, They dont have a budget and they just print money whenever they need it. Wouldnt it be nice?

America must be stopped. Forcing western governments to turn away from everything that is American should be the top priority of every non-American westerner.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
No. It doesn't ever end. You know why? Sure you do... Because people won't stop buying. It is simply a never ending revenue generator. You see just by the general replies of this thread, the anger it is creating. Imagine if people start going postal, because, just how much more can one take?!

Seriously.

Then they will have an accurate target for their taxes.
edit on 1/18/2013 by hhcore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore
No. It doesn't ever end. You know why? Sure you do... Because people won't stop buying. It is simply a never ending revenue generator. You see just by the general replies of this thread, the anger it is creating. Imagine if people start going postal, because, just how much more can one take?!

Seriously.

Then they will have an accurate target for their taxes.
edit on 1/18/2013 by hhcore because: (no reason given)

The funny thing is that many military shooters are linked to the US Government.

COD Black Ops is the most blatant propaganda I have ever seen. Up there with Argo.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I'm just curious how these people passed to get their education and how they landed their jobs? If the people voted them in, then theirs no one to blame but those said people.

What a joke? Tax on violent video games.

Like that's going to stop the shooting sprees..

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This whole thing is ridiculous! Think of it this way: How many kids play violent video games? How many kids go on shooting rampages? If the video games were a huge causal factor in the shootings then wouldn't there be a huge amount more happening?

I'm gonna use this as an opportunity to share a video my kids and their friends made about this very issue around 5 or 6 years ago, when they were all aged 14-16. In case anyone is curious, my kids are Hunter and Gillomee (not their real names
)

www.youtube.com...

edit on 18-1-2013 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by HenryNorris

Oh no you are not pinning that "game" COD black ops on the US govt. That game lagged every time, the hit boxes were completely off, and it was a terrible attempt at realism. For them to put that out with propaganda would be to insult all of our intelligences.

Right?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
"have been pointing the finger at violent video games as the catalysts for the countless massacres that have occurred in the US over the last 50 years"

50 years ago, 1963, what violent video games were responsible for countless massacres?

"Pong was the first game developed by Atari Inc., incorporated in June 1972 by Nolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney."
en.wikipedia.org...

I had no idea Pong was the cause of countless massacres even though it was created only 41 years ago.

I will confess playing combat on Atari was a lot of fun but I never thought of blowing up a building and going postal.
edit on 18-1-2013 by GoldenVoyager because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

That was a funny video.

"Tyler is retarded"

"Just say no dudes"

I like the part when they couldn't figure out how to shut it off, the guy playing and pretending to be mom, kills the host and shoots the screen.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The only correlation they have found between violent video games and violence are the studies done by institutes that are already bought and paid for by the government.

A tax on violent video games is not the answer. A weapons ban is not the answer. More taxes period, is not the answer. The blame is not on the video game industry, it is solely on the individual that perpetrates these crimes against humanity.

I have been a gamer for the better part of 25 years. I've played them all, from D&D to Phantasmagoria, to CoD, to Left4Dead, Grand Theft Auto, and everything in between. I am a balanced individual. I have plenty of friends, I have a loving girlfriend, and a fantastic family. My favorite genre is FPS's and MMO's coming in a close second. For the 99.9% of gamers, that is a fact. It is that .1% that are already prone to violent tendencies that acts committed in games translates to acts committed in real life, and that is even pushing it.

I will be personally writing a letter to this individual to let them know that it isn't okay. That blame resides on the shoulders of those that commit those crime, not the video game industry.

And besides, we see worse images on CNN, MSNBC, Faux News, HLN, etc., etc., etc. every day! Where is the tax on those companies?!

Oh yeah, they're already "government run."

-TS

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
They want to tax violent games.
Fine, then they need to take our entire government, including Congress, POTUS, and SCOTUS because they are engaged in the most VIOLENT games on earth right now. Let's see some of those games:

1.)Drones that kill anyone on Obama's kill list, as well as lots of innocent victims.
2.)Violent games meant to destroy the Constitution.
3.)Violent games that steal taxpayer money to give to crooked bankers and wall street brokers.
4.)Violent games to fund their buddies in corporations from taxpayer money, under the guise of "bailouts".
5.)Violent games that allow them to arrest American citizens and hold them indefinitely without any recourse.

Need I go on?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Why can't we ban stupid people from making stupid rules? All these dip s### in power are sticking it in our rear end and we do nothing about it.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I got a good laugh when I just watched it before I posted it. The funny thing is, knowing them all, I can see their personalities definitely showing pretty good in the video.

I might add that all of them are still good kids, never involved in any violence, don't do drugs, don't drink (well one just turned 21 and his parents took him out to dinner and he had a drink with them), and they are all responsible young adults now. And believe me, the games they have played through the years can be very graphic and violent.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join