It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US proposes violent games tax

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

HAHAHA so taxing fixes everything
what a tool

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
These sickos have actually come up with a way to make money of the massacre.

It's just a smokescreen tactic so people won't discover what really makes people do these things.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
It's official. The Goverment thinks the population is braindead.

They can have their video game tax when I get a "Corrupt Goverment Tax Return".

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
reply to post by Jukiodone

There is in fact a glass ceiling for people like you as you are seen as low ambition having,

Really?
Tell me please.
What degree in IT did Bill gates and Steve Jobs get?
People who go to college end up working for those who didn't. Its a fact, get over it.

In actuality that is a VERY RARE occurrence and Bill Gates was actually attending a fairly prestigious college. There's a slight difference from never going to school and leaving a prestigious one that you first had to earn your way into. Those men also started their own company. Your sad attempt at an example isn't even fruits and vegetables here. Unless you start your own company, without a degree, it is extremely unlikely that you will ever be anyone's boss in the IT field. Then again maybe you did the right "favors" for the right people... Who am I to say. This is the internet after all and you are an uberleethaxzorzkillamonstagangstadude or something like that I'm assuming.

Hell I grew up in the ghetto and quit high school at 16, got a GED and now I am a 25 year old father of two who is double majoring in engineering focusing on mechanical and electrical and management with a 3.666 ( I'm serious by the way ) GPA. Does that make me as special as you?

Edit: It is clear that Superhans is trolling in attempt to get a response out of people like me. I am sorry to the op for contributing to this getting out of hand and going off topic and will stop arguing with the child now.
edit on 18-1-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

This is fantastic!

The politicians thought that pissing off the legal gun owners were bad? Just piss off the hard-core gamers that can hack all of their accounts, and you've got a real revolution on the bend.

You Go Gamers! Destroy these politicians!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I just wish we could go back to a time before video games and movies when there was no real world violence at all. Zero, zip, zilch.

None.

Jeez, those were the days weren't they?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

Originally posted by dreamingawake
A video game tax will only promote piracy!

eh, not really.
The video game demographic is REALLY aimed at adult males in the IT industry. So with that said many of us are way more intelligent than your average folk.
Most of us realize that spending 40-60 bucks on a game that will last us 60-60000 hours is more satisfying that spending 100 bucks (diner, movie and drinks) on some stupid chick that probably wont put out anyways.

Depends on what you deem as intelligence. I take the girl out for dinner and drinks, she puts out, and then when she passes out I get 15-30 minutes of Call of Duty in before I join her for a nights rest.

Kinda feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds here. However, taxing one of my worlds does not make me happy...They already tax the hell out of most of my other activities.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Illuminati muppet John Howard also believes games contribute to massacres.

"Certainly, shortcomings in treating mental illness and the harmful influence of violent video games and movies may have played a role," he wrote.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Do not go the way of the UK and allow your government to levy a tax on something they deem bad for you, it just ends up being an easy way for your government to add more taxes. 60% tax on alcohol, 80% tax on gas and 78% on Cigarettes. Need I say more?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
It is called a violence tax. Some states already tax bullets that way. It is ridicules I think they are trying to push a 5 cent tax on every bullet in the case of 22 bullets the tax would be more than the bullet. I think it is stupid for ammo or video games but after reading the article they never said how much it would be. If it is only a dollar a game and it goes to fund mental health I wouldn’t mind. The reasoning is horrible but if it funds mental health it could help.

They tax the hell out of my smokes and I don’t play video games. I don’t really have a stake in this. Politicians have found a group they can harass this time because the target group that usually plays games doesn’t usually vote most cant so they know they will not experience any blowback in the form of votes. I had just read where someone said politicians should fear blowback from this and it is quite literally the opposite in this case.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

eh, this isn't exactly a bad idea.

Plus, there's always mods. I'd love to see the government try to tax free violent mods for peaceful video games lol.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I think that the Government are trying to find as many possible ways to scam money from the likes of you and I so they can pay back all the debts they have accumalted over the decades. They are desperate and pityful and they always point the blame towards other causes, adopting the postion of 'It's not me" type of mentality.

Debt is never going to go away ever and will just continue to increase evermore as long as the human race exists. Governments are floundering to a breakdown point where eventually a new civil war will begin, probabaly in 700 years from now. In the meantime they flim-flam with words and empty promises, hollering out for war in the name of Freedom and Liberty - Ancient Goddesses who never really existed.

Everything that life offers is a struggle and a war, with others and ourselves. The daily beat of the wardrum can be heard by those with the right kind of ears, a mocking sound from The Laughing God overseeing our demise. A sound that says there is no greatness in the human race,no noble acts that cannnot be undone and no relief of the torture we label Hope.

So why not levy a tax on violent video games and any other thing that can be laid the blame upon the ills of society. It makes a sick kind of sense. We the people have allowed it all to come this far, to this point in time and space and its too late to back out now. Wonderous and empty promises are all that shall ever remain for future generations who have already been tagged and doped with state sponsered medication and security detail.

None of this matters of course, just pre-election jitters kicking in for all the snazzles trying to cling onto their cushy jobs for another few years. Just one more hit for the campaign junkies looking for that first same high when they first turned on into the political lifestyle and tuned out of consensus reality.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
If anyone is interested as it is relevant to this to an extent but the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (and the Supreme Court affirms) that restrictions of "violent" video games violates the 14th Amendment; as far as taxing them, that will have to be tested.

As such, taxing an item has to undergo certain tests and must meet muster (so to speak): Gasoline is taxed federally under the Highway Revenue Act of 1956 to help fund the creation and maintenance of the national interstate highway system. This excise tax serves a purpose (if it is actually utilized is a different thread) and has a clearly defined role in what is taxed and what it funds. A large portion of citizens utilize some form of highway and that tax is seen as an actual representative tax.

With that in mind, taxes on products; specifically products that Congress targets as needing to be taxed, never sit well with the general public as they are typically small (which of course doesn't mean they are right, just that they are accepted). For example, the excise tax on alcohol sits around $0.05 per serving; or around $18 per barrel. Those costs are passed onto the consumer but rarely have affect in the overall price of a beverage.

In contrast, the Federal government places an excise tax on tobacco products at an average of $1.00 per pack (or small cigar) and this tax, while initially left a sour taste in some peoples' mouths, is again generally accepted.

Each of the above of course is billed as a tax to help fund "health" programs that the Federal government pays into because of the actual affects of the products.

That said, do you think Americans will accept an excise tax on a product that only is utilized by a small majority in which there is no evidence in which links one to the other?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I just wish we could go back to a time before video games and movies when there was no real world violence at all. Zero, zip, zilch.

None.

Jeez, those were the days weren't they?

Don't be so facetious! We all know that violence, especially with a firearm, only became prevalent during the age of modern video games....of at least it did when salivating politicos saw an opportunity to expand their "revenue" base without dealing with their spending habits that make a single, male sailor on shore leave blush.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
tax the games only when you tax hollywood.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

yes, gun violence was never a problem until atari released pong.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imsodone

yes, gun violence was never a problem until atari released pong.

I will help you along in getting your post count up....

You are completely correct. Gun violence or rather the use of a firearm in a violent act never occurred nor was so widespread until such games came about. Never mind history, Americans' attention spans; rather American politicians' attention spans only range back to about 15 minutes ago.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Seriously, the problem we have, is that Americans in general, not to even mention the corrupt scum politicians that we breed into office, are historically ignorant. The founders would be ashamed of the people of this nation, even the most libertarian of us.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I figured after Sandy Hook they would target the Video Games that isn't surprising its an attack on the Freedom of Speech.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imsodone

Seriously, the problem we have, is that Americans in general, not to even mention the corrupt scum politicians that we breed into office, are historically ignorant. The founders would be ashamed of the people of this nation, even the most libertarian of us.

Yes the average American is anemic in their political understanding; sad because a republic requires an educated and engaged populace to function.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join