It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US proposes violent games tax

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

You're kidding right?

No seriously? You're going to try and make gamers, a group of people who traditionally never see daylight pay for programs to help prevent mass shootings?

You're doing it wrong.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NarrowGate

My boyfriend has a CDL. The rules were strict - and they got stricter. Almost nonsenscical - Hey! Get the gov't involved, and you get bull !$#@!

Actually, I love this idea as a person who doesn't play video games.
But, I smoke cigarettes.

It reminds me of the old adage: They wanted the Jews, but I'm not a Jew. They wanted the retards, but I'm not a retard. They wanted the homosexuals, but I'm not a homosexual....... They will come after you unless we all put a stop to it.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Before games they blamed movies, before movies they blamed books, before that they blamed cave painting (well, they likely did).

politicians feel they must act in these situation. So they throw wild punches with there eyes shut, hoping to hit the nail on the head. But they always fail.

The problem isn't violent video games, the problem is the relationship between the individual playing them.

I propose a bad societal value tax (but then that may affect all politicians).

ALS

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
How about a tax on media hype?

A video game tax will only promote piracy!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
BOO!

I hope this doesn't go through, I am a gamer and this would really suck...Can't really say much more than that...

-SAP-

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake

eh, not really.
The video game demographic is REALLY aimed at adult males in the IT industry. So with that said many of us are way more intelligent than your average folk.
Most of us realize that spending 40-60 bucks on a game that will last us 60-60000 hours is more satisfying that spending 100 bucks (diner, movie and drinks) on some stupid chick that probably wont put out anyways.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Yeah they're going to start taxing kids "imagination tax" for playing cowboys n indians with plastic bows n arrows n cap guns. I can see it now

Funny how no one even thinks about blaming the ridiculous amount of medication available over the last few decades that nearly all mass shooters have been taking. Nope, they played Call of Duty. Isn't that game bloodless anyway? Remove blood from games and rag doll physics and they're no longer violent.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

eh, not really.
The video game demographic is REALLY aimed at adult males in the IT industry. So with that said many of us are way more intelligent than your average folk.
Most of us realize that spending 40-60 bucks on a game that will last us 60-60000 hours is more satisfying that spending 100 bucks (diner, movie and drinks) on some stupid chick that probably wont put out anyways.

Dude you are sooooooooo wrong about that. Many young men in the IT industry don't pay for their video games. I am an engineering major in college and the majority of my friends and associates are all people who consider themselves "hardcore gamers" and or "tech geeks" in the IT fields and I don't know a single "gamer" who doesn't "pirate" most of the games that they play.

When people claim that they believe more taxes on video games will increase piracy they are not incorrect.
edit on 18-1-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

And I would love to know which games you're talking about that last us over 60 hours these days? Most IT people aren't as into the FPS type of games as frat boys are, we prefer something with a little "more" to it, if you know what I mean. Other than Skyrim, I can't think of a game that has over 60 hours worth of play time recently. Hell MOST games aren't worth the initial price card anyway, which is why I wouldn't pay it even IF I could afford to. MMOs do not count because you can't really "pirate" them and they require ongoing fees.
edit on 18-1-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anundeniabletruth

eh, not really.

Dude you are sooooooooo wrong about that. Many young men in the IT industry

I will stop you right there.
If you are in the "industry" that means you are employed. If you and your friends are still in school you are not in the "industry", you are students. This is a spoiler, so don't get mad... stop reading if you don't want the spoiler.

You and your friends eventually end up taking order from me, a person who did not got to school to learn the IT industry. And truth be told with the student loans and entry level job you will still not be able to afford to pay 50 bucks for a game.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie

US proposes violent games tax

www.news.com.au

VIOLENT video games could soon be hit with a sales tax.

US congresswoman Diane Franklin said her proposed tax would help to "finance mental health programs and law enforcement measures to prevent mass shootings."

Since the Sandy Hook massacre in November in which 20 children and six adults were killed, American politicians and lobbyists have been pointing the finger at violent video games as the catalysts for the countless massacres that have occurred in the US over the last 50 years.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Thanks for bringing this topic up. It is in a politicians nature to think about new creative taxation methods, just like it is in the mainstream media's blood to print propaganda and lies.

In this case... "American politicians and lobbyists have been pointing the finger at violent video games as the catalysts for the countless massacres" ---

As I recall, politicians and lobbyists have been pointing the finger at guns in order to get them banned and out of the hands of Americans in any way possible, even if it's a piece at a time.

Now the media is trying to twist the Sandy Hook into another purpose, which is the first time I've heard violent games being named as the reason (although I know it was mentioned Lanza was holed up in his basement playing games, I really am VERY skeptical of any information "released" about Sandy Hook.)

This reminds me of a NoFX song, re-gaining unconsciousness (first verse):

First they put away the dealers Keep our kids safe and off the streets
Then they put away the prostitutes Keep married men cloisterred at home
Then they shooed away the bums
Then they beat and bashed the qu--rs
Turned away the asylum seekers
Fed us suspicions and fears
We didn't raise our voice We didn't make a fuss
It's funny there was no one left to notice when they came for us

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anundeniabletruth

eh, not really.

Dude you are sooooooooo wrong about that. Many young men in the IT industry

I will stop you right there.
If you are in the "industry" that means you are employed. If you and your friends are still in school you are not in the "industry", you are students. This is a spoiler, so don't get mad... stop reading if you don't want the spoiler.

You and your friends eventually end up taking order from me, a person who did not got to school to learn the IT industry. And truth be told with the student loans and entry level job you will still not be able to afford to pay 50 bucks for a game.

I fail to comprehend how you can be permitted to give anyone orders with an attitude like yours, especially for a man who speaks as if he's old enough to be my father. You are about as mature as my 3 year old son. BUT this IS the internet and anyone can be anything so have fun dreaming
And "truth be told" I have 4 friends who have graduated and are now working in the industry and not a single one of those guys is paying on student loans because they were intelligent enough to earn grants and scholarships to pay for their education. Unfortunately I will be, it's kind of hard not to need those loans when you have two children of your own to support while going to school. However, I can assure you that the odds are astonishingly low that I will ever be "taking orders from you." Grow up...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
If anyone is of a mindset in which a game leads them to violence, a clear instance of not being able to differentiate reality from fantasy, nothing will help them. And if a politician, journalist, or doctor is of the mindset to believe regulation and taxing of these things helps anyone, we're in real bad shape.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Anundeniabletruth

I fail to comprehend how you can be permitted to give anyone orders with an attitude like yours, especially for a man who speaks as if he's old enough to be my father.

Trust me, once you are out of the school bubble it will all make sense.
I never said I was old enough to be your father, im 26. I have been working in IT and getting paid for it since I was 13. That is how us real nerds pwn college kids in the job market.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Diane Franklin is an ancient being who has never even seen a Playstation.

To her, video-games are violent and scary, and her memories of Pac-man are filled with fear and horror.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
How about a malicious economic game tax? Called Knight Capital Trading "Blunder"

"ETF's are the future, the average investor just doesn't know it yet."
-Reggie Brown, Managing Director
edit on 18-1-2013 by streetfightingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
An angry person said:

You and your friends eventually end up taking order from me, a person who did not got to school to learn the IT industry. And truth be told with the student loans and entry level job you will still not be able to afford to pay 50 bucks for a game."

Low education anxiety much?
As someone who's been in IT since 1998, I'd like to entirely disagree with you in that most senior people in technology roles within succesfull companies have a degree/further education and job experience.

There is in fact a glass ceiling for people like you as you are seen as low ambition having, underachievers who are good for task orientated work but cant be trusted to deliver proper projects as your experience of planning and deadlines was gained at your previous job; which at 13 must have been a paper round.

Back on topic...I heard Attilla the Hun was a beast on Grand Theft Auto: The Steppes Edition, Ghengis Khan loved Call of Duty: Medieval Warfare and Hitler pwned nubs all over on Quake: The Board Game.

Untill Wolfenstein was released there was apparently no violence in society....dont know about anyone else but I used to love imaginging all those burning sailors when I played Mattels Battelships so I must have been the exception
edit on 18-1-2013 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2013 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Well that's ridiculous. How about the prove it first. The politicians have got to go. They point their finger in every wrong direction. We KNOW that SSRI's/antidepressants cause violent breaks yet we aren't hearing a peep about it. Almost all of these inexplicable cases can be tied to one of these drugs, but NO politician is pointing their finger at big pharma because they are getting their pockets lined. Instead their solution is to steal more money from the people.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Jukiodone

There is in fact a glass ceiling for people like you as you are seen as low ambition having,

Really?
Tell me please.
What degree in IT did Bill gates and Steve Jobs get?
People who go to college end up working for those who didn't. Its a fact, get over it.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

"What we do have a problem with is people that only play video games. They get up and play all day and then play all night - that obsessive behaviour where you're not learning to read and write and not going outside - that needs to be looked at," he said.

And who's fault is that???
ANSWER:
Mom and Dad

Who buys the game that is rated mature?
ANSWER:
Mom and Dad

Who pays for the $60+ game for them since young kids don't work?
ANSWER:
Mom and Dad

Why do they buy the game and allow them to play it?
ANSWER:
Because they can't say "no" to the kids

So now, we have the government to thank if the tax proposal passes.

What's next, taxing foods that are deemed bad for our health?? Drinks?? The air we breath? [sarcasm]

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

You are talking about exceptions to the rule, and that is more of a fact... still a valid point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join